Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-14-2008, 10:37 AM   #1

Share |

how do I paint stipple?

The ceilings in my 80's built house have spray on stipple. I'm pretty sure they've never been painted because a little bit came off when it got wet from removing some wallpaper. What's the best method to roll paint onto this stuff? Someone told me to be careful because if I use waterbased paint my stipple might fall off when I roll it and suggested I get a contractor to spray it but I can't afford that.

murray59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 01:14 PM   #2

how do I paint stipple?

Sounds like you have popcorn ceiling. They should be sprayed. Go to a paint company like Sherwin Williams,Benjamin Moore,ect. They have them for rent pretty cheap.Shouldn't need one any longer than a few hours. Or try a tool rental store.Last I know sprayers were about 25 or so a day. Good Luck

mark942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 08:13 PM   #3

how do I paint stipple?

spray panit guns are more than that to rent, and you need to cover the walls and floor completely with plastc COMPLETELY drape plastic from the walls that is- every square inch you do not cover will be saturated in paint. consider this a disaster waiting to happen if you have never sprayed before. spend 30 bucks on a roll of plastic and three rolls of good wide tape (fold in half at ceiling line to stick plastic to), or else you'll have spraypaint from the inside of you dryer to underneath your jewellery box. seriously.

if you touch the stucco and it comes off, it has never been painted, spray is the only way for the first paintjob other than rolling flat oil with a mega fluffy roller and the same plasticing process (but with a gas mask and 3 day mega headaches, and oil turns yellow quickly)

if it does not come off at all when you touch it, paint it with latex flat white with a roller, and just cover the furnitureand floors.

Thinner, cheap paint is best for spraying

fyi, if it is discoloured enough that it needs painting (cigarette, grease) the colour may bleed through anyways. Only paint it if you really need to. If it is smoky/greasy, forget about the spray, and buy a gas mask and roll BIN on for the first coat, flat white for the second gluck dude

Last edited by ting; 05-14-2008 at 08:15 PM.
ting is offline   Reply With Quote