Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-30-2012, 11:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Smile

How do I paint Cabinet Trim to Match Stained Doors?

I want to stain my old kitchen cabinets a dark cherry color. The cabinet doors are varnished so the wood color shows through; all trim surrounding the doors is painted with a white latex paint. I want to sand the doors and stain them a dark cherry wood and install new handles. What can I do to the painted surfaces of the surrounding trim on the cabinets to somehow match the stained doors? I do not want to strip off paint, etc....can I somehow paint the trim to give it the dark cherry wood-look stain? Thanks for your ideas and help!

Mjakester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 05:33 AM   #2

What you're asking is if you can wood grain the cabinet bodies. The answer is yes, if you have the skillset or money to pay someone who does. It's not easy, and since those who have the skill (to do it justice) are few and far between, it's not cheap either. Another option would be to simply take a finished stained door to the paint store and find a color that blends well, or contrasts, with the doors. Though it may not be exactly how you want it to look, it could look very sharp and very acceptable, solid body cabinets with stained doors, fine. I have a customer who has solid black cab bodies with tiger maple stained/clearcoated doors, looks beautiful, and she paid mega bucks for them, just as they are.

jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:09 AM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

You can try faux wood grain tools. You will need to match base and glaze colors to your chosen stain. I will express a bias that I find most faux finishes tacky, out of character and irrelevant to the home. However, there are some people out there I used to hire that do amazing faux work. There are very expensive though. I guess part of it is I don't have the patience real, nice faux finishing takes.

You will have fun playing with wood grain tools and one like the white one in the second little picture--that does end and heart grains--will only set you back $20. You can always paint over your mistakes. Paint is wonderful in that way which is a reason I was in the business. Near immediate gratification was nice too. And next to drip irrigation, nothing is more exciting than watching paint dry.

Last edited by user1007; 03-31-2012 at 06:12 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote