Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-13-2011, 02:03 AM   #1

Share |
Smile

How do I get rid of black paint?

Hello everyone!
So... like I said in my introduction thread, I am about to move in with my boyfriend who's got "original" tastes.
Ok, here's my problem: in his bedroom, all the walls AND the ceiling are painted all in black!
However I love the colour black, I do think that it looks quite horrible to have the bedroom all in black: walls, ceiling, etc.
The room is already quite small, the window is tiny too (i.e. not much light is getting in) and this black paint makes it look even smaller and darker. It feels like a cave, not a nice room to relax in.
So, without going into trying to convince him to change (the mister is of the stubborn kind), is it even possible to get rid of this black paint and go for a lighter colour?

escargot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:07 AM   #2
DIY staff

It's just paint---Paint it a lighter color----Use a high quality paint and you should get it done in two coats.---Use a poor quality paint and it may take 3-4 or more coats.---Welcome---Mike---

Old 04-13-2011, 07:10 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by escargot View Post
Hello everyone!
So... like I said in my introduction thread, I am about to move in with my boyfriend who's got "original" tastes.
Ok, here's my problem: in his bedroom, all the walls AND the ceiling are painted all in black!
So, without going into trying to convince him to change (the mister is of the stubborn kind), is it even possible to get rid of this black paint and go for a lighter colour?
Sounds like your boyfriend should get himself a color chart. In a year he won't even remember they were once black, but he'll be reminded everyday that they still are!
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:07 AM   #4
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by escargot View Post
Hello everyone!
However I love the colour black, I do think that it looks quite horrible to have the bedroom all in black: walls, ceiling, etc.
The room is already quite small, the window is tiny too (i.e. not much light is getting in) and this black paint makes it look even smaller and darker. It feels like a cave, not a nice room to relax in.
You've got a lot bigger problem than the color of the paint!

That said, you can prime and paint it any color you want.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:44 AM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

One bedroom in a Victorian I restored had some teen living in it that wanted all black. Two coats of primer, two coats of paint and all was well.

And I agree. Does this boyfriend go out during the day or only show up after twilight?
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
DrHicks (04-13-2011), jsheridan (04-13-2011)