How Do I Get A Really Glossy Wall With Paint? - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 05:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

how do i get a really glossy wall with paint?

or whatever. ive heard theres something called a gloss topcoat or soemthing. what is the way to get the glossies wall?
like i heard there is an epoxy paint. then i hear theres semi-gloss paint then i hear there is high gloss paint. what steps do i have to take to ensure my wall is the glossiest? like reflective its so glossy

Advertisement

Old 11-12-2009, 06:37 PM   #2
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,242

High gloss is as glossy as it gets As far as I know

Advertisement

Old 11-12-2009, 07:39 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

I agree, but what are you trying to achieve and why in this interior situation? is the ultra high gloss a look you want or do you need it for protection or something?

You can use either paint store or artists store clear gloss acrylic coatings to get as high as possible. Just don't rush things and let the paint and subsequent layers cure. MAB sells gloss acrylic interior paints that are nice but they do not hold tints well so if you have a dark color in mind you will be out of luck.

Oil based paints will have higher gloss to start but will chalk over time and because of the VOCs you should probably not be using them inside where people live. This is the reason you cannot get them in parts of the US as a homeowner.

Silicon or epoxy alternatives will not give you that more gloss and if you use them on a wall, they wall chip.

Never tried it but I guess you could prime well and try a melamine paint.

These folks may have ideas. I have used their products.

http://uscoatingsolutions.com/interior-paint.html

God help you with some of these approaches if you change your mind in a year or two.

Would a sheet of vinyl be glossy enough? You can have those output in wall widths at your local large output graphics store in whatever color or creation you and your computer can come up with. Apply it, protective gloss coat it, take it down with a hair dryer when you tire of it.

Last edited by user1007; 11-12-2009 at 07:45 PM.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:26 PM   #4

i want to make sure that all my walls indoors are glossiest as they can be, for the effect. and in the bathroom with the steam yeah im going to need some protections for the bathroom walls. im looking to make my floors really high gloss too. but this is just for the walls i want my walls light neutral colors, and some are going to be white.

i dont know about a vynal
Old 11-13-2009, 05:06 AM   #5
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,242

Quote:
Originally Posted by emopoops View Post
i want to make sure that all my walls indoors are glossiest as they can be, for the effect. and in the bathroom with the steam yeah im going to need some protections for the bathroom walls. im looking to make my floors really high gloss too. but this is just for the walls i want my walls light neutral colors, and some are going to be white.

i dont know about a vynal

May I ask WHY?The high gloss paint will protest your bath walls just fine.
Old 11-13-2009, 05:59 AM   #6

well im a big fan of the epoxy resin kind of look they do on restraunt tables i woud like glossy walls/ceilings and doors and floors
Old 11-13-2009, 06:22 AM   #7
Remodeling Contractor

After several coats of a high gloss you can polish the walls to increase the gloss. For high gloss cabinets I start sanding the final coat with 800 girt... down to 5000 grit then three different levels of polishing compounds... that is how you get the level of gloss you want. Like the gloss on a granite top... we polish with 8000 grit then fine tune that three levels finer.
Old 11-13-2009, 06:53 AM   #8
the Musigician

hi laura.

like sdsester mentioned, they make high gloss vinyl sheets that will be glossier and smoother than any paint job.
it's available at HD or other bigbox stores too. it's great for removing the blood when you kill a dragon in your bathroom.

DM
Old 11-13-2009, 08:22 AM   #9

dragon in the bathroom? whats that? anyways. whats they are availible at HD mean etc..
i dont know where that is or the other one u mentioned either. vynal that are gloosier than paint? so does that mean high gloss paint wont get me the high reflective look im going for but the vinal sheets will what are they called? sounds like that is the way i have to go. is that the way to get high gloss/highly reflective walls?
Old 11-13-2009, 01:41 PM   #10
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Prior poster is wrong, you cannot get custom vinyl (or anything else meant for but the Godless unwashed masses at Home Depot (HD). You can get it from your local large output graphics supplier. It is the stuff they wrap airplanes, buses, cars and so forth with. You can use it in interiors as do major airports, bus and train stations, etc.

But one final time, why? Why don't you tell us what you are really trying to pull off here?

You will not dare ever walk on, touch, chip or otherwise live with it and since I am guessing you do not live in an airport? It will have a new car smell without the ventilation cars come with.

Talk to the guys who paint cars. They know as much as anybody about achieving high gloss finishes.

You are going to hate this idea of yours when you change your mind!
Old 11-13-2009, 01:50 PM   #11
Remodeling Contractor

you could also cover the walls with a high gloss formica. you can buy it in 60" X 144" sheets.
Old 11-13-2009, 02:38 PM   #12

i did tell u why. im very familar with the urban prostitution look. i dont see formica anywhere where can i get this at?
Old 11-14-2009, 08:52 AM   #13
Remodeling Contractor

any lumber yard and even the kitchen department of the big box stores will be able to order it for you. takes a few days to get in. they do not stock that much since the colors and patterns available are very extensive.
Old 11-14-2009, 12:18 PM   #14

thanks for the information. actually how do i get custom colors of the glossy stuff?
im thinking custome leopard print
Old 11-14-2009, 04:40 PM   #15
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Search online for leopard patterns. Try google images to start or search the photo image banks. Pay whatever royalty to use the image you like best ($10-100). Use your computer to format it to the large size graphic you have in mind. Vinyl will come in a maximum width but generally in unlimited length. It is warranted for many years.

http://www.dynamitedigital.net/products_wall.php

I am not sure if you are going to find leopard in formica but check the company website. It was never meant for walls but I guess there is no reason you could not use it for them.

Advertisement

Last edited by user1007; 11-14-2009 at 04:45 PM.
Closed Thread