Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-01-2012, 07:43 AM   #1

Share |

How do I fix peeling paint?

At first I blamed this on using Valspar paint for the first time, but now I know the real reason!

About 10 years ago we removed the wallpaper from our main level bathroom. Evidently, we did not clean off the wall paper paste completely when we did. The first layer of paint worked fine for the 10 years, but now we are re-modeling again, tile on lower half, paint up top. We painted first, let it dry for a week to 10 days while we started the lower rows of wall tile. As we got close to the top of where the tile would end, we applied some painterís tape to insure that we didnít get adhesive on the new paint job. When we removed the tape, the paint came with it in sheets that continued to peel up the wall even above the tape line.

It seems as if the new paint has penetrated the previous layer and has moistened the paste below that layer, in spots! What is peeling off is both layers of paint, not just the new stuff.

Any ideas on how to correct this problem would be much appreciated. We want to completely remove both layers of paint to start again fresh.
papageek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:40 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by papageek View Post
It seems as if the new paint has penetrated the previous layer and has moistened the paste below that layer, in spots! What is peeling off is both layers of paint, not just the new stuff.
That's what it will do. Once you get both layers of paint off you are going to need to wash the walls with warm water to get off any remaining glue. Warm water is all you need. Some people use a little fabric softener in the water but all that really does is make everything smell purdy.

Prime with either Guardz or an oil based primer which will seal the surface from future moisture. Top coat with a QUALITY paint from a paint store. Valspar does not qualify.
The Following User Says Thank You to Matthewt1970 For This Useful Post:
papageek (08-01-2012)
Old 08-01-2012, 01:51 PM   #3

Thanks Matt, but the real question is how do I get the paint off? Is there an easy way of stripping off he old paint?
papageek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:05 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Invest in a nice, wide, flexible drywall knife and scrape what you can off. Then hit it with fairly fine grit sandpaper to get off more and feather out edges. Buy a big pack of paper because you will chew through it sanding paint. Do not be tempted to hit it with coarse grit because it goes faster? You will just scar the wall and make more work for yourself.

Wipe down the wall.

Hit it with GARDZ.

Skim coat with drywall compound to feather edges between areas where paint remained and you were able to get paint off. Sand flat. Wipe down the wall again.

Prime the skim coat repairs with GARDZ if you still have some or another nice primer like Zinsser 123 or Benjamin Moore Fresh Start--alkyd or waterbased. Apply two coats of finish and hope for the best.

I am trying to be nicer about not bashing box store paint but the stuff does have higher water content, just to start, than anything I ever used in the business. Buy paint from a paint store. Do the prep work. Do not skip the primer if needed.

Last edited by user1007; 08-01-2012 at 02:07 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
papageek (08-01-2012)