Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-14-2013, 11:24 PM   #1

Share |

How do i clean paint brush and keep my old paint last longer?

Hey everyone what is the best way to clean paint brush? use Trisodium Phosphate? or use mineral spirits? I'll be using solid acrylic paint on my deck. Also how should i keep my leftover paint so it can last longer? Do i need to add anything to the paint bucket so if i use it after a year or two it will be in good condition.
Thx

GanJa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:13 AM   #2

Read the paint can it will tell you what to clean up with.100% acrylic= warm soapy water.Use a wire brush after it's rinses clean to comb out the bristles and remove any dried paint.Put the lid on tight and don't let it freeze,no need to add anything but are you sure you want to paint instead of staining?

Old 09-15-2013, 02:31 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdaniels View Post
Read the paint can it will tell you what to clean up with.100% acrylic= warm soapy water.Use a wire brush after it's rinses clean to comb out the bristles and remove any dried paint.Put the lid on tight and don't let it freeze,no need to add anything but are you sure you want to paint instead of staining?

thx for replying. sorry i meant to say stain. wht is the difference anyways? Also that means i shouldnt keep the paint can in the garage where the temp can get to -25 C?
GanJa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 03:49 AM   #4

If -25c =32 f, then no
chrisnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:21 AM   #5
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisnel View Post
if -25c =32 f, then no
-25c=-13f.
Old 09-15-2013, 06:12 AM   #6

First, you might be better off using a 9" roller and a throw-away pan for your approx 200 sq ft deck; OK you may be using both - but a roller is a good time saver. Use an old broom handle to save your back...

Second, the key is getting the brush/roller clean right after painting, like within the hour. Not overnight or next week. Clean the brush/rolller using water - as someone pointed out - with that paint only (the Dulux stuff) but not necessarily for every paint. Depends. Read the label. Or just throw away the roller once you're done.

Third, try not to store paint. You should be getting 250-300 sqft of coverage out of a gallon of paint, so if you're going with 2 coats, figure on 2 gallons. You might be left with 1/4 of a gallon but storing it isn't worth the pain. Dispose of it properly. Paint is best on something - not stored in a can in a garage...use it for what it is meant for.

TSP is not meant for cleaning brushes; it is meant for cleaning hard surfaces (like walls) of grime, grease and particulate matter. Not old paint.
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:02 AM   #7

I understand those of you who don't believe in storing paint, but I like to keep some on hand. There's always touch-ups to do and it sure is nice to have some leftover so you can take it to the paintstore to match what you have for the next repaint. I keep just about any leftover paint I come by. Even if I don't use it for touch ups, I combine similar paints at some point and use that mixture for painting apartment basements or someone's old garage that they don't want to invest a lot of money into.......

If you seal the lid up tight and store it in a cool, dry place it will be fine for a long time. Sometimes the metal cans begin to rust, but that is rare. If you want, you can add a small amount of water to latex paint that will sit on top and keep the paint from getting hard, but even that is rarely necessary if you store it correctly.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
Jmayspaint (09-15-2013), ToolSeeker (09-15-2013)
Old 09-15-2013, 08:56 AM   #8

I wouldn't use a solid acrylic stain on a deck. Atlest not on the horizontal walking surfaces.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarlisle View Post
Second, the key is getting the brush/roller clean right after painting, like within the hour.... Or just throw away the roller once you're done.
Actually it starts before painting. The first thing you should always do with a brush is "prime" it with the solvent for the paint you're using. For acrylic paint, the solvent is water - that means getting your brush wet before you start to paint with it. Soak your brush right down to the handle, then shake it out well. This will help keep the paint from drying on the brush, and help cleanup later.

I never clean roller covers - I throw them out to save time. I think it's better for the environment also. There is a lot of paint in roller covers. I'd rather put the cover in a landfill than put the paint in a river. I do clean brushes, but
1) brushes cost a lot more
2) brushes hold less paint
3) brushes are much faster to clean

Last edited by jeffnc; 09-15-2013 at 12:20 PM.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 12:13 PM   #10

Some more help for storing paint.

First, the lid must be tightly sealed. For that to happen, the groove must be devoid of any paint. That means you either have to keep paint out of the groove, or you have to take a cloth and clean the paint out of the groove.

To keep paint out to begin with, use one of these.

http://i55.tinypic.com/fq9h4.jpg
http://toolmonger.com/wp-content/upl.../POURit450.jpg
http://www.eroswholesale.com/images/thumbs/KOLGH509.jpg
http://www.mastercraftmfgs.com/mi20.jpg

If you don't, you'll have to clean out the groove.

Next, if you only have a quart or so left, it will store much better in a quart sized can which you can buy at your local Home Depot or whatever. Storing 1 quart of paint in a 1 gal can leaves a lot of air, which can dry out and oxidize the paint. Storing it in a 1 quart can is much better. Or save your old 1 quart paint cans and clean them out when done with the paint for this purpose.

You can also store the can upside down. This makes it easier to remix the paint after a long sit, since the solids will tend to migrate to the bottom.

Last edited by jeffnc; 09-15-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:50 PM   #11

When I clean my brushes and rollers I mix a 1/2 cup of fabric softener in a gallon of water. The brush, just swish around in the mix, this removes most all the paint. Then warm soapy water to finish. For roller covers scrape the excess paint with 5 in 1 tool then swish in mixture then run under warm water and spin dry. This way the roller can be reused or at least be used for primer. As far as the environment there's not much difference in putting water based in the river or roller covers in the landfill.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ToolSeeker For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (09-15-2013)
Old 09-15-2013, 06:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker View Post
As far as the environment there's not much difference in putting water based in the river or roller covers in the landfill.
Well actually there is a big difference between putting dry refuse in the ground and waterborne waste in a river. I hope everyone realizes that, for the sake of our environment.

There are many resources you can read e.g.
http://www.resene.com/comn/safety/clean.htm
http://acrylicpaintreview.com/acryli...c-paint-water/

Last edited by jeffnc; 09-15-2013 at 06:14 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:52 AM   #13

This is how I clean a roller when I clean rollers.It's faster than cleaning a brush.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:59 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnc View Post
Some more help for storing paint.

First, the lid must be tightly sealed. For that to happen, the groove must be devoid of any paint. That means you either have to keep paint out of the groove, or you have to take a cloth and clean the paint out of the groove.

To keep paint out to begin with, use one of these.

http://i55.tinypic.com/fq9h4.jpg
http://toolmonger.com/wp-content/upl.../POURit450.jpg
http://www.eroswholesale.com/images/thumbs/KOLGH509.jpg
http://www.mastercraftmfgs.com/mi20.jpg

If you don't, you'll have to clean out the groove.

Next, if you only have a quart or so left, it will store much better in a quart sized can which you can buy at your local Home Depot or whatever. Storing 1 quart of paint in a 1 gal can leaves a lot of air, which can dry out and oxidize the paint. Storing it in a 1 quart can is much better. Or save your old 1 quart paint cans and clean them out when done with the paint for this purpose.

You can also store the can upside down. This makes it easier to remix the paint after a long sit, since the solids will tend to migrate to the bottom.
You have to get a lot, and I mean a lot of paint in the groove for it to not seal. Those gadgets all look cool but never work right when put to use. Storing cans upside down just makes the solids migrate to what used to be the top. And once you get a good system down like what cdaniels linked to you can clean roller covbers in not time. Also, soaking them for a few hours if you can will cut more than 50% off your cleaning time. The contractor grade rollers I will throw away although but usually before I even use them

Last edited by Matthewt1970; 09-16-2013 at 07:01 AM.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:06 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthewt1970 View Post
You have to get a lot, and I mean a lot of paint in the groove for it to not seal.
It's not just about not letting it seal. If you get a little paint in there, it dries and makes it harder to get the lid off next time, and when pulling the lid off sometimes chunks fall off in the paint. Then there is a gap in the dried paint in the groove. The lid will go back in, but there will be a little gap where air can get in. It also makes cleaning paint out of the groove harder next time, making more paint build up.

Quote:
Those gadgets all look cool but never work right when put to use.
The little plastic snap-on caps in the last picture work perfectly. The others I don't use much because they're expensive, but they work fine too.

Quote:
Storing cans upside down just makes the solids migrate to what used to be the top.
Exactly. It's easier to deal with when mixing it up next time when the solids are at the top.