Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-08-2009, 07:47 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

how to do a copper patina on new gutters

Hi, this is my first time here. we are attempting to put a copper metallic surfacer on our gutters. so far we have put a rust oleum metallic rust primer on them 2 coats. and Have a copper surfacer from triangle coating and the blue and green and bronze solutions.
Can anyone give us any advice on this process? The gutters are really rough now after we sprayed them yesterday with the primer. I don't want to go on further without some one that has done this suceesfully before.
I have talked to a few painters in my area that has done them this way but they want to do them not give advice. At this point I am not sure we used the right primer. ???
thank you for any help. sincerely charli

serenity7art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 05:04 PM   #2
The DIYer Assistant

Rewards Points: 25

Hey there serenity, although priming is usually a good idea, if you want to use patinas, it's a good idea to keep the metal bare, although you should still clean it first with a TSP solution. The other problem you might have is you are trying to spray gutters to look like copper and THEN put the oxidizing, or patina, solutions on top of that. This won't work as the copper coloring spray is not actually a metal and the patina you place on it may not actually affect the surface in the way you would like. The last thing to keep in mind about traditional oxidizing agents is they leave the surface chalky and difficult to clean, thus you must use some sort of sealer (probably matte to avoid being to shiny) to seal it from the elements and keep your hard work looking good. Hope this helps!

TheDIYerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 05:38 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

if these are aluminum gutters you really dont want any real copper bearing paint on them

Last edited by Tom Struble; 09-09-2009 at 05:57 PM.
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote