How To Darken Up And Paint A Bar That Is Already Finished? - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-10-2011, 12:05 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

How to darken up and paint a bar that is already finished?

Hey guys,

I bought a bar that was supposed to be cherry and the top piece looks kind of orange compared to the base. The top piece is composite wood with a veneer over hard wood I believe. The rest is powder coated glossy texture hand painted wood. It feels like the wood already has a finish on it, whats the easiest way to paint it? I want to make the top piece black to make it two toned and match the foot rail and some other two toned items in the room. Any ideas?

Thanks!!
Attached Thumbnails
How to darken up and paint a bar that is already finished?-bar.jpg  

Advertisement

Drywallhelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:41 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Drywall, nice piece. You bascially need to give the wood a light sanding with something like 150 grit paper, followed by a bonding primer. Personally, I think I would use BIN shellac based primer. Others will come and suggest others, but that's mine. Then I would choose a quality black oil finish in a sheen similar to the foot rest your matching. The one thing you want to be sure is that the oil have good leveling properties. I'd apply it with a nice soft latex brush, less brush marks, as opposed to a coarse oil brush. The footrest looks like a semi or full gloss. Lightly sand with 220 or so after coat of primer and first coat of oil, wiping dust off well. I'm thinking it might look nice to paint only the elbow rest and leave the horizontal bar top in the cherry. Your eye wouldn't make the difference with the black between and I don't think the flat would look nice or function well painted black. Check back with any more questions. Good Luck.
Joe

Advertisement

jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jsheridan For This Useful Post:
Drywallhelp (09-10-2011)
Old 09-11-2011, 09:39 PM   #3

So I put my coat of black down and it looks really nice, but there is some dust here and there caught up in the paint. How can I fix or avoid that? I took this to home depot (the return bar top was small enough to walk in the store with) and show them. They had me sand it lightly and use minwax. I'm going to finish it off with a polyurthane coat. I hope that works out.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:06 AM   #4

Without a dust free environment, like a spray booth, it's tough to have zero contaminants. I've never really explored, never had to, but there might be some super fine polishing compound. I'm not sure what you were saying in your last post. What is being poly'd? What parts did you paint? Can you post a new pic? Wait, is that your bar, or the picture from the catalog?
Old 09-13-2011, 08:46 AM   #5

I attached an updated photo, I decided to go 2 toned and all the way ebony minwax color on top. The first photo is a professional photo from a website of the product, mine isn't even put together yet. The problem I'm having is that if I run a cloth over it some of the black is coming off on the cloth even after drying for a long time. I need to seal it with polyurethane now, but don't know if I should rub the minwax with towels until the towels no longer show the black or just seal it. Thanks for your advice!
Attached Thumbnails
How to darken up and paint a bar that is already finished?-bar.jpg  
Old 09-13-2011, 08:47 AM   #6

I would have left the color alone, but the top piece was very orange compared to the darker cherry underneath. It looked two toned before anyway...
Old 09-13-2011, 09:08 AM   #7

You used latex, didn't you? Latex blacks are too soft and prone to marring to use on things that get a lot of handling. I used an sw black satin enamel that took weeks to dry hard enough that handling it didn't mar the finish. With oil you would have only needed the poly to give it depth, not protection. You could apply the minwax with brush instead of the rags. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by
"I should rub the minwax with towels until the towels no longer show the black or just seal it".
Old 09-13-2011, 09:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
You used latex, didn't you? Latex blacks are too soft and prone to marring to use on things that get a lot of handling. I used an sw black satin enamel that took weeks to dry hard enough that handling it didn't mar the finish. With oil you would have only needed the poly to give it depth, not protection. You could apply the minwax with brush instead of the rags. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by
"I should rub the minwax with towels until the towels no longer show the black or just seal it".
No, its oil, I think just on too thick. I applied the minwax with a brush. I'm saying after that looks like it does if I run a paper towel over it some of the paint comes off. I hope that makes things more clear... I don't think I can seal something where the paint is coming off when you rub it. What do you think? Maybe it needs a good rub down until the paint stops coming off? I think this oil is to penetrate the wood and there is too much on it that it is floating over the wood.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:11 PM   #9

drywall, why are you rubbing your freshly painted surface with paper towels? Are you OCD drywall? If the black oil that you put on a minwax product? I think that's where I'm getting lost. Is this a product that they mixed in the store, or was it a factory made color? I would let it dry another day or two--and put the paper towels away.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:08 PM   #10

lol yeah definitely OCD, but I just touched it to see and some came off on my finger. So I thought for sure it needs to be wiped off with a towel. Minwax hotline told me that I put too much on and need to wipe it off down to the wood. This stuff is a stain, I'm kind of using it like an enamel and what I did is wrong. I may create an ebony look if I stain it enough and wipe it off enough. I need a wet rag or even try paint thinner they told me.

I feel like a Bozo yet again

Advertisement