DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Painting (
-   -   How to cover textured paint? (

camillac 10-09-2009 08:50 PM

How to cover textured paint?
My new townhouse has textured paint throughout - even the ceilings!
It's that semi-circle swirl effect that some contractors use to quick finish drywall. The look is dated and gives a psychedelic feel to the rooms. How can I cover this up?

I had a drywall tech tell me it had to be replastered to give a smooth finish. Another suggested a knockdown finish over the texture (oh good, then we'd have swirls and dots!) Naturally both of these options were estimated to cost thousands.

Can anyone make a suggestion to correct the problem. I vaguely remember that there was a filler-type paint on the market but I can't seem to locate it. Help!

GetYourShineBox 10-10-2009 03:02 AM

you can skim coat it with a joint compound.

seems like a lot of work.

bjbatlanta 10-12-2009 09:58 AM

If it's the typical "stipple" finish, there are a couple of options. If it has never been painted (new construction ceilings aren't as a rule) you can rent a power sander (HD rents the Porter Cable) and sand it down. Some touch up on the joints and nails is required. If it HAS been painted, you will need to use a scraper to knock off the high points, a couple of coats of joint compound, then sand. Another layer of drywall is also an option. None of the above are "quick,cheap fixes". I don't know, sight unseen, if it would run in the thousands. Depends on the amount of area.....

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:55 PM.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.