Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-28-2011, 02:41 PM   #1
Is this wire Hot?

Rewards Points: 158
Smile

How cold can I spray latex paint?

I need to paint some metal radiator covers and some beadboard with latex interior paint using a spray gun. Problem is, I need to do it outside in my barn which is unheated, and just my luck, the local temperature is going down into the 40's for the first time this year this weekend! My question is - How low a temp can I still spray paint without problems? Do I need to thin it a little extra to reduce the viscosity? Any other things I should do for cold weather spray painting? Thanks!!

Oh-Fudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 04:12 PM   #2
jschaben

Rewards Points: 502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh-Fudge View Post
I need to paint some metal radiator covers and some beadboard with latex interior paint using a spray gun. Problem is, I need to do it outside in my barn which is unheated, and just my luck, the local temperature is going down into the 40's for the first time this year this weekend! My question is - How low a temp can I still spray paint without problems? Do I need to thin it a little extra to reduce the viscosity? Any other things I should do for cold weather spray painting? Thanks!!
I haven't really done any cold weather spraying. Can will sometimes list a minimum application temperature. I'd use that. Seems most that have it say 35*F but I'd hold off it it looks like it will go below that withing the next 24 hrs. JMHO

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jschaben For This Useful Post:
Oh-Fudge (10-28-2011)
Old 10-28-2011, 06:22 PM   #3
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

Depends on the paint. You could read the can. It will tell you.
( I know- so simple- but it works!)
Old 10-28-2011, 07:01 PM   #4
Is this wire Hot?

Thanks Brushjockey. I'm going to take your comment as a serious answer and not that you are being a smartass, I hope. Yes, I learned to read a couple of years ago. I was posting this question to get a "real life" opinion from painting pros. Perhaps I am not the first one to notice that the "directions on the can" are often more flexible than they are willing to print, due to legal restrictions, etc. Plus, I am not a professional painter and do not know if there are any special considerations for spraying rather than brushing at lower temps. Such as - does one need to thin the pain more for colder temps, etc.

Any useful advice is much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:47 PM   #5
jschaben

Rewards Points: 502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh-Fudge View Post
Thanks Brushjockey. I'm going to take your comment as a serious answer and not that you are being a smartass, I hope. Yes, I learned to read a couple of years ago. I was posting this question to get a "real life" opinion from painting pros. Perhaps I am not the first one to notice that the "directions on the can" are often more flexible than they are willing to print, due to legal restrictions, etc. Plus, I am not a professional painter and do not know if there are any special considerations for spraying rather than brushing at lower temps. Such as - does one need to thin the pain more for colder temps, etc.

Any useful advice is much appreciated. Thanks.
I got to thinking about this, not always a good thing Since most latex paints (if not all) have ethelyne glycol in them which is also an antifreeze, I doubt you will have viscosity problems. Any issues would likely be from the drying/curing standpoint. If you need to thin, I think I would use a conditioner instead of water. The air temp itself may not mean much either, the object you're painting needs to be in the correct temperature range. Could be colder than the air temp. Just a couple of random thoughts from a wandering mind.

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jschaben For This Useful Post:
Oh-Fudge (10-28-2011)
Old 10-28-2011, 07:52 PM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Why not space heat a part of the barn and not worry. A little ceramic heater and some plastic would work. Provide adequate ventilation of course. Nothing more fun than watching paint dry. Except watching it dry when it is cold enough it does not want to cure.

And just a madcap suggestion? I got in the habit of taking radiators I wanted to look nice in restorations for sandblasting and then to the body shops and high heat engine painting guys around town. Cost less than messing with it all myself.

Last edited by user1007; 10-28-2011 at 07:56 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
Oh-Fudge (10-28-2011)
Old 10-28-2011, 07:57 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,390

just a thought we did this one time to finish off a kitchen we installed and needed to paint the trim and leave dry before install...we made a small tent out of plastic in used a small electric heater.....worked great......not sure how perfect you want you job?????just a thought????
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
Oh-Fudge (10-28-2011)
Old 10-28-2011, 08:05 PM   #8
Is this wire Hot?

Thanks jschaben, sdsester and ben. I like the space heater idea. And yes, the metal might be colder than the air temp, good thought! These are the covers for baseboard hot water heat - long and thin, these don't get very hot in use cuz it's hot water not steam heat, and they aren't in direct contact with the water pipe & fins. I recall that most paint says to use "above 50-55 degrees", just my luck the weatherman predicts temps in the 40's the weekend I want to paint . So I'm hopin' that I can fudge the minimum temp a little!
Old 10-28-2011, 08:39 PM   #9
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,916

55 is usually the coldest safe temperature----The paint cures so slowly when cold that runs become a huge problem.
Oh-Fudge (10-28-2011)
Old 10-28-2011, 08:42 PM   #10
Rubbin walls since'79

Not completely being a smart ass- but some people expect us to answer questions without making any attempt at the obvious- Good to see you are actually working the problem.
The tent/ heater idea is a good one. When the temps are close- it doesn't take much. I did a few jobs that using a halogen lamp in a confined space was enough to tip the temp to acceptable range.
Just be careful that the heater- whatever source you use- is placed safely.

There are also paints ( mainly exterior rated- because that is where the issue usually is) that are rated to 35. Best to ask at a good paint store- they should be able to guide you to the right product.

Last edited by Brushjockey; 10-28-2011 at 08:44 PM.
Brushjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:56 PM   #11
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
Good to see you are actually working the problem.
Best to ask at a good paint store- they should be able to guide you to the right product.
Leaves me speechless. Dead on.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 12:21 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 75

I've sprayed in the cold. Heat the paint n a crock pot and make sure the stuff you're painting is coming fom the war, house/shop/etc. it will help speed the dry/tack time and you can bring the items back into a warm space once they've flashed off...

Poly and space heating works too with the above...
Justgaff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Justgaff For This Useful Post:
Oh-Fudge (11-01-2011)
Old 10-29-2011, 05:32 AM   #13
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,192

[quote=Brushjockey;758984]Not completely being a smart ass- but some people expect us to answer questions without making any attempt at the obvious- Good to see you are actually working the problem.
The tent/ heater idea is a good one. When the temps are close- it doesn't take much. I did a few jobs that using a halogen lamp in a confined space was enough to tip the temp to acceptable range.
Just be careful that the heater- whatever source you use- is placed safely.

There are also paints ( mainly exterior rated- because that is where the issue usually is) that are rated to 35. Best to ask at a good paint store- they should be able to guide you to the right product.[/quote]

SW Resilience is one of them ,I believe.

btw, I am not far from you and it is snowing here
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 09:51 AM   #14
NACE Coating Inspector

Rewards Points: 500

All of the points mentioned above are very good. Paint can lables are normally pretty generic forms of information, better directions can be found on the product data sheets for the paint that you are using. Applying paint outside of its range of conditions can create problems that can be diffcult to correct. Ethylene glycol will sit on the surface of the paint in cold conditions as it cures and will appear as if you sprayed antifreeze over the finish. The temporary heated spray booth is a good way to bring the paint, surface and ambient temps to acceptable levels and reduce the chance off contaminates from getting into the wet film as the paint cures at a slower rate. Dew point temp is also a problem in colder enviroments. I'm going to guess that you dont have a sling psychrometer to measure dew point and relative humidity. You can measure your dew point temp with a metal can, thermometer and ice water (salt can be added to the water in cooler weather to help lower the water temp below the ambient temp). Fill your can with water and add ice while stirring it with your thermometer to keep the can and water temp the same. As soon as you see condensation form on the can, record the temp and that will be your dew point temp. the surface temp of what you are painting should be at least 5 degrees above your dew point temp. Applying paint below the dew point will allow moisture to condense on the surface and ruin your paint job and every thing down hill from it as the paint washes away.
mustangmike3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mustangmike3789 For This Useful Post:
jschaben (10-29-2011)
Old 10-29-2011, 06:02 PM   #15
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,192

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangmike3789 View Post
All of the points mentioned above are very good. Paint can lables are normally pretty generic forms of information, better directions can be found on the product data sheets for the paint that you are using. Applying paint outside of its range of conditions can create problems that can be diffcult to correct. Ethylene glycol will sit on the surface of the paint in cold conditions as it cures and will appear as if you sprayed antifreeze over the finish. The temporary heated spray booth is a good way to bring the paint, surface and ambient temps to acceptable levels and reduce the chance off contaminates from getting into the wet film as the paint cures at a slower rate. Dew point temp is also a problem in colder enviroments. I'm going to guess that you dont have a sling psychrometer to measure dew point and relative humidity. You can measure your dew point temp with a metal can, thermometer and ice water (salt can be added to the water in cooler weather to help lower the water temp below the ambient temp). Fill your can with water and add ice while stirring it with your thermometer to keep the can and water temp the same. As soon as you see condensation form on the can, record the temp and that will be your dew point temp. the surface temp of what you are painting should be at least 5 degrees above your dew point temp. Applying paint below the dew point will allow moisture to condense on the surface and ruin your paint job and every thing down hill from it as the paint washes away.

I thought everybody had one of those

chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote