DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

How can I repair scratches in cherry wood?

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  user1007 
#1 ·
Bought this iPod dock (which I believe is cherry) with a few scratches all over. What is the best way to repair these? Thanks.

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
You might try tinted wood putties or tintable wood restoration epoxy products. Abatron would be the company with products I would trust in the latter cases.

Melting crayons of the right color to fill the scratches and then applying and buffing out a paste, restoration, or bowling alley wax as a new surface finish might work. You will have trouble getting poly, varnish or whatever to stick to wax though. You will gum up sandpaper trying to sand it.

There are some special scratch repair products out there but most seem gimmicky to me. This doesn't mean the would not work. I just have no experience with them.

Stripping and refinishing is probably your best bet though if you want the best shot at doing this right. If it has lots of scratches you should decide, as suggested, how much you want to put into this. You could just fill, sand prime and paint with rattle cans if it is not wort trying to match the wood. It is kind of a nice looking piece though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.