Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-15-2009, 04:33 PM   #1

Share |

how can I protect against my little artists

I hand painted a moral all over my daughters room. it's beautiful and was alot of work. My only problem is that my 3 and 1 year olds think they are artists too. how can I protect my art so it's last through the years, and will withstand being drawn on by my little artists??

kahnegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 07:06 PM   #2
Learning by Doing

Keep all art supplies out of reach at all times: tempra paint, finger paint, spray paint, latex paint, oil paint, pastels, ink, pens, pencils, lipstick, markers, crayons, eyebrow pencils, pudding, charcoal briquettes, chocolate, food coloring, etc. Some of which I, as a young artist, painted on my mom's walls - you'd be surprised how well a chocolate bar can emote shade and tone.

You can't stifle an artist, only teach them to respect other's art.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:19 AM   #3

A sheet of plexiglass screwed into the walls?
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:06 AM   #4

You could start by coating the mural with a clear glaze, like that use for faux finishing. This should make the wall washable. Beyond that... only keep washable art supplies accessible to kiddies.

SirWired
sirwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:15 AM   #5

I'm pretty good at keeping the art supplies away from the kids. But some how they always find something. It doesn't help that the teens in the house are lazy and can't pick up after themselves. The clear glaze i found and the craft store worked very well. but it's 3 dollars a bottle and it's a 2 oz bottle. the mural i painted covers the whole room. and that's alot of little bottles. Does anyone know if home depot or lowes sells something like that in a gallon?
Old 01-16-2009, 12:13 PM   #6

Yes, any paint store will sell it by the gallon. That said, if the little one gets a hold of a Sharpie, there is nothing to be done.

SirWired
sirwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 12:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarlisle View Post
A sheet of plexiglass screwed into the walls?
I like that idea. That will protect it from just about anything.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 12:39 PM   #8

OK the plexiglass suggestion was a bit tongue-in-cheek and it won't help for a large mural...would for a small mural, like we saw the other day (3x5' painting of Bambi) but not a quick fix.

Look, I see you have bigger more important issues to solve - like the furnace, maybe the toilet. And some of these issues you can do for yourself, some you might have to forget about and others many of us here would suggest you call in a pro. But in all the issues you raised here, the furnace is the main one - especailly as you have chosen to put kerosene into it instead of fuel oil. IMO? Bad move.

I don't know where you live exactly but up here it's really cold. -25 deg C to be exact...and to have 4 kids in a trailer breathing fumes isn't a pretty sight to me...you say your boyfriend has a job. He lives with you right? so try and persuade him to fork out for a service call to a furnace repair company and have that fixed first.

Prioritize. Take one problem at a time. Don't get depressed about everything around you falling apart. Things do. Welcome to homeownership. Tackle ONE issue at a time. If you look at the big picture, many despair figuring they can't possibly cope with everything. And they're right they can't. But one a time will do it!

Good luck
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
Old 01-16-2009, 02:28 PM   #9

he does pay alot IE the reason I' m was looking to do it myself. Our incomes are combined. As if we were married. He does his fair share and so do I . Yes it's very cold in here some times. And right now until we get it fixed our children are with family friends.
By the way the furance doesn't kick out any fumes, because it doesn't work. The toliet is usable but annoying. And I have been fixing this house since I moved in and part of that was redoing the kids rooms. I've spent countless hours painting and drawing every disney princess and animal that belongs with them. I have gutted bathrooms, and redone closets. This is why it's so important that it's protected. The house is a piece of work. I was recently laid off and I'm trying to figure ways that I can save money, and still be a full time nursing student. Having to much on my plate is a problem already. I ask for suggestion on protecting paint not living my life. Is there anything else you would like to know about me before you critize my priorities again?
Old 01-16-2009, 04:52 PM   #10
Learning by Doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarlisle View Post
Prioritize. Take one problem at a time. Don't get depressed about everything around you falling apart. Things do. Welcome to homeownership. Tackle ONE issue at a time. If you look at the big picture, many despair figuring they can't possibly cope with everything. And they're right they can't. But one a time will do it!
Good luck
This was clearly encouragement, not criticism.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:26 AM   #11

Kahnegirl:

Well, if you must know, I wasn't really criticizing you. I was suggesting you revise your priority list somewhat, but if you take that as criticism, then there's not a real lot I want to do more about it. However, I'd also suggest that you better discern what problems are compared to others. You'll need that in nursing, don't you think?

You mentioned that you have three problems: a wall mural that is in risk of being defaced by your children, a toilet that is unstable and a furnace that doesn't work properly and is using a non-recommended fuel (kerosene). You want to do a lot of the work yourself and money is an issue -sort of.

Well, I can tell you (as a homeowner and owner of a water damage restoration company) that you must see there are TWO priorites here: one, you must fix the furnace, your and your families health depends on it. Two, fix the toilet and the bedroom walls, yourself if you can.

If your house catches fire because you ignore the furnace issue, then the toilet and walls become immaterial, don't they? I mean, look at you now: your kids are out of the house (a wise move)...so are you even a "family" living ina family dwelling? What's wrong with that picture? Put it another way; yes your walls look lovely and the toilet is stable, but the furnace is off. Is anyone living there to see the walls and use the facilities? Don't think so.

Bite the bullet and get a professional in to fix the furnace; and remember that if you think of fixing the furnace yourself and something god-awful happens to your home or to yourselves, insurance is not going to bail you out. If they find out kerosene was used, they're outtathere...and don't think your boyfriend can just take a screwdriver and poke around the ignition transformer because soon he'll know what 10,000 volts feels like.

You say you've spent 'countless hours painting Disney characters' and that's why it is important to protect your house. And you burn kerosene in your oil furnace-that-doesn't work-properly? OMG girl, get with it.

My advice: take two minutes and think about that.

Then do the right thing for the family that depends on you to do just that.