House Painting This Summer, Air Vs Airless - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-05-2010, 07:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

house painting this summer, air vs airless

hey guys, i'm kind of mentally debating how i'm going to paint my house this year. option one is use one of my air guns with the largest tip i own 1.8mm and a 2.5 gallon pressure pot. using air means i have to thin the latex quite a bit, roughly 2:1 in order for it to spray worth a damn. using that much water in the paint also increases the chance of runs and increases the coats needed to cover. i can of course remedy this by waiting till it's 90+ deg in august to paint. option two is buying a referb wagner paint crew for just over $100, i could probably craigslist it for near what i pay after my project as well.

pros / cons

thoughts?

also, the acrylic vs latex debate for exterior, i'm in the process of reading up as i type this. just off the top of my head acrylic seems like it would have some benefits but how compatible is it with existing latex that's already on the house?

Advertisement

racebum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:25 PM   #2
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

You talkin' interior or exterior here?

Most "latex" (rubber in water) products are now "acrylic" (acrylic in water) anyways
Not much choice there, but "acrylic" has many superior benefits

Advertisement

slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:46 PM   #3

i was wondering if it was just a marketing thing. miller lists their exterior as acrylic while sherwin williams and valspar are latex, on the label at least
Old 05-05-2010, 10:12 PM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,272

You will want a larger airless sprayer. That little Wagner will not do what you want.

I suggest that you rent one at the local paint store.

If you do the masking before you rent the machine --you should only need the thing for the day.

----Mike----
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:14 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 512

I am mulling buying a $400 Graco airless spray machine (a surprisingly good sprayer for the money), using it for the few weeks/month I will need it to do my house, take great care of it, and sell it for $300 when I am done. Then I can take my time with no deadline, and no hassle with the probably broken down rental machine.
Windows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 01:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows View Post
I am mulling buying a $400 Graco airless spray machine (a surprisingly good sprayer for the money), using it for the few weeks/month I will need it to do my house, take great care of it, and sell it for $300 when I am done. Then I can take my time with no deadline, and no hassle with the probably broken down rental machine.
i was actually thinking of doing just this. for around $400 as you have mentioned you can get a setup that would be good enough to start a back of the van paint company, that of course means you have a market to sell to when your done.

it's either that or skimp and get one of these

http://www.amazon.com/Reconditioned-...4&sr=8-1-fkmr1

i've noticed decent reviews in other threads on this piece as being good for its price bracket

by the way, i did double check the labels and both SW and valspar are acrylic latex. no idea why i didn't notice that before
Old 05-06-2010, 06:48 AM   #7
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,272

I'm not familiar with that unit--3/8 HP motor sounds a little light.

I've got two Campbel hausfield 1 1/2 HP units. I got some laughter when I bought the first one many years ago--The contractor who thought the thing was a joke --bought one for himself a month later.

I use graco guns--easiest to find parts in my area.--

If you get the little machine,Please come back and let me know how it works.---Mike----
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:39 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,070

A 2 to 1 thin ratio on Latex is really going to hamper it's performance. You will almost be spraying dyed water.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:09 PM   #9

it's not quite that bad but 2 parts paint to 1 water still means 3 coats for a really good cover. i decided to order that wagner in the link since it's basically half price being a referb and a few threads on here pointed to it being an alright piece for low volume work. we'll see how it does this july, i'll see if i can't write a review of how it turned out
Old 05-06-2010, 09:39 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 512

Quote:
Originally Posted by racebum View Post
it's not quite that bad but 2 parts paint to 1 water still means 3 coats for a really good cover. i decided to order that wagner in the link since it's basically half price being a referb and a few threads on here pointed to it being an alright piece for low volume work. we'll see how it does this july, i'll see if i can't write a review of how it turned out
Technically speaking water emulsion paints aren't 'thinned' by water the way oil paint can be thinned by solvents - they are actually diluted. For this reason it is recommended that only a small amount of water ever be added to paint. Diluting at a 2:1 ratio, you might be able to get coverage through physical drying, but I would guess the resin would be far to spread out to get a decent chemical bond.

Advertisement

Windows is offline   Reply With Quote