Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-17-2012, 11:22 AM   #1

Share |

Homedepot Texture Paint over wallpaper???

Recently peeled off many layers of painted wallpaper and got down to skim coated gypsum board on part of the walls. However, the other parts of the walls I can not for the life of me get the wallpaper off. I used a steamer, Tiger scorer, scraper, laundry detergent.... Can I just do texture paint over them?

DIYChic55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:20 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

You used warm water in a tank sprayer to saturate the paper and it still will not budge? I've used softener a time or two but never laundry detergent by the way.

Is it wallpaper or some sort of wall refinishing membrane like NuWall used to cover many cracks and that is supposed to be painted over?

Painting over wallpaper is never a good idea so I would encourage you to keep after it. Nothing says you don't care about your home like painting over wallpaper. Well maybe cheap vinyl siding and faded lawn ornaments climb the list. However, I guess if it just will not budge, you could prime it with Gardz and hope for the best. Skim coat the seams so they are not so obvious? If never found paper yet I could not get off somehow.

Whatever you do, do not make your situation worse by using box store textured paint (or any Behr like product for that matter). Buy quality paint at a paint store.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 02:38 PM   #3

The original idea was to get walls back to original state and do it the right way. The walls were previosly wallpaper 3times and painted inbetween layers. The first layer of wallpaper came off very easy but I have dug up all sorts of places in the walls trying to get the last layers off. I'd say half of the walls are down to gypsum board with much needed repair now and the other half has the last layer or second to last layer still on. I dont think the drywall/gypsum was primed before wallpaper was hung. Im an exhausted and was looking for an easy fix.... sSo no to texture paint??? it sounded so easy.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:52 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

No easy fix you will not feel yourself is a compromise. Stick with it. You will be happier with the results in the long run.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:42 PM   #5
paper hanger and painter

http://www.wallpaperinstaller.com/wa...stripping.html
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:55 PM   #6

Ok......If i re-tackle the nauseating task of peeling wallpaper down to the gypsum board..... what will my next steps be? I want to avoid sanding entire walls at all costs. There are just not enough hours in a day. What are some other options to reface walls that will not cause arthritis of the shoulder and me finding dust in crevassess 5yrs down the road??I know removing all the wallpaper is the right thing to do.....Just wish it wasnt so.

Thank you for your replies Ideas of alternatives to skim coating and sanding just may be the much needed boost of enthusiam needed to continue this unforgiving life lesson called "Peeling Wallpaper"
Old 10-18-2012, 03:16 AM   #7
paper hanger and painter

The only way ( I can see) to avoid sanding is to re paper
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:13 PM   #8

A little comic relief here plus my experience:

It's horrible... I removed 4 rooms of different paper when I bought my 1968 brick ranch- oh make that 5 to include the grass cloth accent wall in the master that I think was hung with gorilla glue.
For the different types of wallpaper think avacado's/ gold foil/ autumn harvest colors in a large checkerboard pattern/ legit heavy grass cloth harvested and assembled probably in 1973/ and a vertical squiggly pattern in earth tones from Death Valley.

All involved the paper tiger (don't push too hard or you'll leave lots of spiral perforations in your drywall!) and hot water and wallpaper removal liquid (DIF)- and lots of cursing and backbreaking work. The hallway wallpaper took off hunks of drywall with it, as did both bathrooms. Then once the wallpaper was off I had to use more remover liquid and large blades to get the goupy adhesive off, then wipe as clean as you can with wet sponges rinsing often.

After removing all the disturbing wallpaper someone many decades ago so painstakingly picked out- it's compound... sand (good dust masks!).
Compound again once you see how much you missed... sand...
Use a flashlight up against the wall at a steep angle to again see how much you missed... compound agin... sand... (use a sanding block and change the paper often and finish with a finer grit and a light touch).

When you are ready to leap on a sword screaming with your hair on fire, turn on some heavy metal music and open the fridge and get into your brews.

Sweep/ swiffer the walls, clean baseboards/ trim/ windows/ doors/ sills so as not to contaminate your finish work. Sweep and vacuum often throughout the process. Change your HVAC filter too.

Then prime, paint. Heck prep and paint all your baseboards/ doors/ trim/ and ceilings while you're at it- makes it more fun!

Rough work but the end result is pretty nice.

Don't they make a thicker high build easily sandable primer? That might be an option once you think you've got it pretty flat after wallpaper removal- but then again it would require more sanding.

If nothing else works how about tearing off the drywall and starting fresh with new drywall? Still involves sanding to prep it for primer/ paint...

Let us know how you make out! Good luck and may the force be with you!

Last edited by John in NC; 10-18-2012 at 12:35 PM.
John in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYChic55 View Post
Ok......If i re-tackle the nauseating task of peeling wallpaper down to the gypsum board..... what will my next steps be? I want to avoid sanding entire walls at all costs. There are just not enough hours in a day. What are some other options to reface walls that will not cause arthritis of the shoulder and me finding dust in crevassess 5yrs down the road??I know removing all the wallpaper is the right thing to do.....Just wish it wasnt so.

Thank you for your replies Ideas of alternatives to skim coating and sanding just may be the much needed boost of enthusiam needed to continue this unforgiving life lesson called "Peeling Wallpaper"
Tear out the drywall and start over.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:23 AM   #10

Easiest fix is to just throw 1/4" drywall over the old wallpaper.

I have a house that was coated with wallpaper in every room, including ceilings. I tried removing wallpaper for a couple rooms, but decided that when I was able to get the wallpaper off, the drywall/plaster would be damaged.

Just using textured paint will not likely hide the defects. What you can do is do several skim coats of drywall mud, sanding in between...etc. This will take you a very long time, with mixed results (unless you are very good at mudding).

So the only choices you are left with are (1) apply 1/4" of drywall over everything or (2) heavily texture the walls with a thicker texture. I did a "stucco" type texture on some of my walls, and on others I did a "knockdown" texture. It worked well, but if I had to do it all over, Id just hire someone to throw 1/4" drywall on everything.

The other thing is, do NOT just apply latex paint directly over the wallpaper. The water in the paint will cause the wallpaper to peel and bubble. The best thing I found if you want to paint the wallpaper is to first apply a coat of Zinsser Cover Stain (oil based), and then apply latex paint over that.
patented is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:47 PM   #11

The only trouble with covering with 1/4" drywall is you open a whole can of worms. Now all your trim and door casings are off , all your wall plugs and light switches are off you will have to do something around all your windows to make them look right. You will need to remove and replace your baseboard.

ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote