Hiring A Pro To Paint Interior He Insists On Flat... More - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-10-2011, 06:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Hiring a pro to paint interior he insists on flat... more

Okay, I am trying to put my house on market so I called in a painter to paint my main level including a 2 story foyer and kitchen, bath, dining room, living room and eat in area. I have a young child and I know that he will touch everything and mare the walls during the time we sell. I thought we should go with eggshell so I can wash the walls that do get finger prints on them or food splashes by the stove , but the guy painting my house says no! Flat is the best especially since there are lots of drywall issues. He also says flat is best with touchups. But I would rather just spot wash the walls then drag out the paint can. ....
I actually had 3 different guys come out and all 3 said go with flat! I dont understand.

Advertisement

simiesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 06:29 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,294

Flat hides defects and wavy walls better than an egg shell--I am guessing that all three saw problems with your walls that would be exaggerated by an egg shell finish.

Did you ask them why they thought you needed flat?

Are you asking for a one coat job? Any gloss paint needs two coats.

---More info please.----

Advertisement

Old 06-10-2011, 06:39 PM   #3
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

As a pro I will advise on paint sheen, quality etc. But in the end, I will do as the HO wants. If my advice was clear, it usually goes that way, but not always.
It has been an eternal debate which is better , flat that touches up or eggshell that washes. Paint co's have made "washable flats" and mattes to be best of both, but mostly do neither well. Most painters have preferences too.

I would say the condition of the walls might be a tipping point, but they could possibly do a little mud work to make that better. If they know how...
Brushjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:09 PM   #4

The painter I chose is having his drywall guy come out to fix all nail pop, corner bead issues and even a couple taping issues. So, in my mind, if I am paying $700 extra for a drywall repair, then why do I need to go with flat paint - that would better hide wall imperfections???? I do have a section where you see where the 2 drywall pieces meet and it looks like a line that somewhat bulges... I doubt they can fix this though.
I just dont know enough about painting to understand the consequences of going with flat or eggshell. I need to be able to wash the walls, especially with my young son. What happens if you wash flat walls???
UGH I need help!!
Old 06-10-2011, 08:17 PM   #5
Rubbin walls since'79

Remember it's you hiring them. If they won't listen to what you want, get one that will. Sounds like you're clear- you want to wash, not touch up.
That would end the discussion for me. Make the client happy.

Do you know what ( company and product ) they plan on using? There is a world of differences in paints and qualities and what does what. Post that info if you know, and if you don't find out.
And a quality paint will cost a bit more, but it is still pretty minor to the labor so it is totally worth it to use good product.
My own clients who say what you have would get Ben Moore Regal Matte or egg, or better yet Aura Matte or egg.

Last edited by Brushjockey; 06-10-2011 at 08:21 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Brushjockey For This Useful Post:
kwikfishron (06-10-2011)
Old 06-10-2011, 08:31 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,002

Sue,
I am pretty particular to sherwin williams paint. They make a low-sheen eggshell that is about halfway between flat and eggshell. It looks almost flat, but feels smooth to the touch and is washable. And it is also easily spot touched up. So you kind of have the best of both. I use their promar 200 line, which is the contractors line and one of their best paints they make. It applies easily, so I don't know why a pro painter would be opposed to it.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:42 PM   #7
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,098

In the end - and after his advice is given - it's your house, and you're writing the checks. Either he does what you want done, or he takes a hike.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:53 PM   #8

Thanks for the responses. Initially, they said they use Sherwin Williams and Hershmanns(sp??). But when I told them I wanted to put the house on the market they recommended Behr Premium plus flat paint - I think because it is cheaper than the SW flat (so I really appreciated that!). But after talking with them, they mentioned that SW makes a washable flat????
Mike - that SW low sheen flat- is it more $$ than the flat?? If I go with this low sheen paint and wash it- will you be able to tell that it was washed (like show a lighter color??)
Thanks again for all your help
Old 06-10-2011, 10:05 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 10

Just to let you know, Simiesue, SW is having a 30% off sale from June 9th through the 13th. There is also a 10$ off $50 coupon when you search for a local store.
Plastik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 12:36 AM   #10
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,616

Quote:
I actually had 3 different guys come out and all 3 said go with flat!
Quote:
I just dont know enough about painting to understand the consequences
H-m-m-m-m-m!

These guys (here) are correct in that you are paying the costs, you should have what you think you want. BUT, Why ask advice from professionals then argue with the answers you get? Especially when the answers are unanimous and you are the only hold out. The property will be gone soon. Maybe!

Paint it "flat" to hide the obivious imperfections is my vote. Your child can't do anything you can't fix.
Old 06-11-2011, 12:49 AM   #11
ltd

Rewards Points: 508

i mean you said 3 pro painters came out and all told you the same thing im going to say their right, and i would tell you the same thing .flat paint hides imperfections.theirs not a conspiracy here they are trying to help you.look if you want eggshell tell them to do it but they cant be responsible for what it looks like. you trying to sell your house make it beautiful and just keep you kids hands off the walls
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 04:40 AM   #12
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,238

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHicks View Post
In the end - and after his advice is given - it's your house, and you're writing the checks. Either he does what you want done, or he takes a hike.

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
Faron79 (06-12-2011)
Old 06-11-2011, 08:48 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,002

Simi,
Just to answer your other questions, yes the low sheen eggshell cost a few bucks more than the flat. And SW does make a washable flat. Costs more than the low sheen and it has to be cleaned with a spray product they sell. I have never used it for those reasons. SW's promar line is not cheap paint. I think the last time I bought the low sheen it was around $27 a gallon at contractor pricing. You can buy cheaper flat paints. Maybe that and a combination of hiding the defects is why the fellows were steering you in that direction. It's up to you.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 02:52 PM   #14

Thanks again for the replys guys. I was just at Home Depot and I looked at the Behr plus line of paints. Looks like they carry a flat enamel that is washable and can be used in kitchens, hallways, etc... Has anyone tried this? Was it truly washable without you being able to tell that it was washed (paint color changes)? It is pretty inexpensive too... even cheaper than regular flat.
I know that pro painters get contractor rates at SW but do they also get good prices at say HD too?
Old 06-12-2011, 03:11 PM   #15
Rubbin walls since'79

Spend a couple of mins looking through the threads about behr paint...

Advertisement