Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-13-2009, 10:12 AM   #1

Share |

High quality contact papers which looks more realistic?

Forgive me if I've posted this question in the wrong category, but since it deals with surface finishing, it seemed to be the most fitting. I'm forming my kitchen to mimic a coffee bar in my downtown loft apartment. I'm looking for some semi-affordable surfacing films and veneers in which I can use to apply to cabinets and panels to help give the effect. The contact papers which are commonly available at most department stores are not quite the quality I'm looking for, on the other hand however formica sheets (while good for counter tops) are a bit too thick and expensive for MY overall refacing project. I'm hopeing there is something that can meet me midway on the market as I often observe many display cases and panels in various businesses having thin veneer films very similar to contact paper but having a more realistic finish. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for reading.

fredonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 10:39 AM   #2

High quality contact papers which looks more realistic?

Hmm... I am thinking you might want to take a look at the technique of usin a stain to create the natural look of wood. Here is a video of it being downe to a metal door, but it can work on other surfaces.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rSZHQkfUFw

Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote