DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

high gloss paint for external door

6K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Workaholic 
#1 ·
which is the best brand of paint to use to get a high gloss finish to a door and the best method. I was thinking of spray painting the door and rubbing the door down with wet and dry paper. Also what kind of undercoat should I use ??? looking to paint a hardwood door with navy blue.

#2 ·
Your under coat will depend on what is on the door now, and what you are putting on as top coats

As for "best" brand and method, that depends on what you are looking for

The "best" door paint I know of costs 150 a gallon and is a bear to put on
But it's the "best" inasmuchas it's the shiniest and most durable....

I'm assuming you would want something a little more user friendly...and economical....
Your local Ben Moore, Pittsburgh, Sherwin Williams, California dealer will have some great door paints, and the proper undercoat for your specific door

Please keep in mind all the "brands" have the premium and cheapo lines
So just because it says "Ben Moore" doesn't mean it's superior quality
You need to ask for the Ben Moore (or whoever) premium lines

#3 ·
Don't forget to check "door to jam" gaps, and the tightness of the door against the jam stop. Paint adds thickness and there *might* be a clearence problem after the repaint.

Also, if the hinges/weather strips are old and ugly now would be a good time to trash them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.