Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-27-2010, 02:27 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Hi I am wondering what brand of paint is a good paint

Hi I am trying to decide on what brand of paint for exterior paint would be good of the brands I have locally here is a good brand of paint to go with. I can get Sherwin-Williams, Valspar, Olympic, pittsburg paint, Benjamin Moore paint, dutch boy

I use to paint with Colony paint but that was sometime ago and I can not find there brand any more so now I am stuck with finding what brand I want to use now

Thank You

djm21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 03:05 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

any of the above, unsure about dutch but have used the rest, all fine. you totally missed the 40% off SW sale this weekend though. that would have been prime time.

my crystal ball says the other members will weigh on SW or BM

racebum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 01:06 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

my suggestion...don't buy paint from a bog box store. such as Behr or Valspar. It's all crap. Benjamin Moore or Sherwin Williams is great paint and worth the extra $10-$15 a gallon.

My father owned and operated a painting business for some time. Benjamin Moore Regal paint is what we 90% of the time.

I recently purchased a house in the last year and had to repaint every room. I needed to buy paint ceiling paint one sunday and since BM is only available at certain stores, none of which near me are open on sundays, i decided to get behr ceiling paint.

big mistake. all the ceilings were previously painted with a light tan color. After 3 coats of the behr ceiling paint, I could still see the tan under the white. Monday came and I bought benjamin moore ceiling paint. I fixed the first ceiling with 1 coat. and the rest of the ceilings only required 2.

If you spend thousands of dollars on a remodel, why be cheap with your paint. If you want a professional result, use what they use. You'll never see a professional painting crew using behr or valspar. NEVER.

also, buy a quality brush like Purdy. Yeah it's a $10-$15 paint brush and may sound ridiculous. You'll see better results and if you clean it regularly and correctly, it'll last years.
moopey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 05:17 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by moopey View Post
. You'll never see a professional painting crew using behr or valspar. NEVER.
come on now, that's kind of a hidden truth. the reason you don't see a painting crew using something like valspar isn't because it's always bad, it's because SW is willing to give discounts to the degree that it's not even worth considering. a good pro team that moves some volume will pay less for SW pro mar 200 than they will a gallon of valspar. in this case the pro mar 200 is a better product than standard valspar and you would have to spend 35 a gallon at lowes for the signature series just to get a similar level of paint to the pro mar which a big team will pay around 18 a gallon for or a small business about 23

i did laugh about your ceiling paint comment though, both valspar and behr have some of the worst ceiling paint the world has ever seen.
racebum is offline   Reply With Quote