Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-06-2011, 04:31 AM   #1

Share |

Hey RicKnowsPaint..heres one for ya

I was installing 54'' com. vinyl about 15 years ago and there was a shading problem with the material. It was a couple inch wide shadowy strip down the length of the vinyl and the spacing was that about the width of studs, 16'' or so. Well, we get the wallcovering rep on sight as there are a lot of yards here in question and in front of the superintendant and I he scratches his chin and says, "Do you think maybe they used a bead of construction adhesive i.e. liquid nails on the studs before they installed the drywall and that's what is bleeding through?'' Well you could have heard a pin drop as the super and I looked at each other to see which one of us looked dumb enough to buy something like that. I still laugh about it to this day. I guess if you've got the guts to run it up the flagpole once in a while somebody just might salute it
ronnoez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 05:10 AM   #2
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnoez View Post
I was installing 54'' com. vinyl about 15 years ago and there was a shading problem with the material. It was a couple inch wide shadowy strip down the length of the vinyl and the spacing was that about the width of studs, 16'' or so. Well, we get the wallcovering rep on sight as there are a lot of yards here in question and in front of the superintendant and I he scratches his chin and says, "Do you think maybe they used a bead of construction adhesive i.e. liquid nails on the studs before they installed the drywall and that's what is bleeding through?'' Well you could have heard a pin drop as the super and I looked at each other to see which one of us looked dumb enough to buy something like that. I still laugh about it to this day. I guess if you've got the guts to run it up the flagpole once in a while somebody just might salute it

must have been some shear white vinyl for that to be bleeding through + bleeding through probably5/8 drywall

ps, not sure Ric is(was) a paper hanger

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 07:33 AM   #3

Quote:
You gotta admire the rep for looking beyond a B.G.O. to offer up a "logical" explanation as to why this problem may not be the fault of the product...I've seen and heard a million of 'em, I'm sure you have also - maybe a thread should be dedicated to those painting and wall covering mis-haps, with both the real and suggested causes of those mis-haps (from both a product and application perspective).

Note to Chris: Nope. I've tried my hand at wall covering (not professionally) but finally, after several less-than-stellar projects, was able to determine 2 things about myself....(1) I apparently don't have the patience, the aptitude or the manual dexterity to do a job properly, and (2) even if I did have the aptitude and dexterity, I simply do not possess enough curse words in my vocabulary to hang a strip like it's supposed to be hung (people around me thought I was having a religious experience and talking in tongues, when actually I had to resort to making up new curse words since the sailor-type variety expletives were no longer working to satisfactorily express my frustrations)...
ric knows paint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:29 AM   #4
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric knows paint View Post
You gotta admire the rep for looking beyond a B.G.O. to offer up a "logical" explanation as to why this problem may not be the fault of the product...I've seen and heard a million of 'em, I'm sure you have also - maybe a thread should be dedicated to those painting and wall covering mis-haps, with both the real and suggested causes of those mis-haps (from both a product and application perspective).

Note to Chris: Nope. I've tried my hand at wall covering (not professionally) but finally, after several less-than-stellar projects, was able to determine 2 things about myself....(1) I apparently don't have the patience, the aptitude or the manual dexterity to do a job properly, and (2) even if I did have the aptitude and dexterity, I simply do not possess enough curse words in my vocabulary to hang a strip like it's supposed to be hung (people around me thought I was having a religious experience and talking in tongues, when actually I had to resort to making up new curse words since the sailor-type variety expletives were no longer working to satisfactorily express my frustrations)...
Trust me,I have made a few up in my day

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:57 AM   #5

For sure Ric. Even though his explanation was absurd I didn't say I did't admire the guy for trying to do his job no matter what. Isn't that kinda like pointing off into the distance and yelling "Hey what's that over there" and then take off running when they look? LOL
Old 12-06-2011, 06:55 PM   #6

That was probably your fastener holes not recieving the proper number of coats of spackle. 2.5 coats never cuts it.

jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 03:05 AM   #7
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
That was probably your fastener holes not recieving the proper number of coats of spackle. 2.5 coats never cuts it.

I hate to ask but more detail please. I think I know what you mean but am not sure that would telegraph through commercial vinyl

Old 12-07-2011, 04:00 AM   #8

No it was definitly the wallcaovering. I had hung about 3-4 strips and stopped for approval. All the other surrounding areas which you could clearly see were finished nicely and primed with no bleed of any sort visible. It was a large anount of vinyl, so they clearly did not want to return it if at all possible. I don't know if other hangers out there are experiencing the same thing I am but quality control is alot worse than what it was when I started years ago. I used to encounter flaws/shading on about 5-10% of material but now it seems to be about double that;very frustrating.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:41 AM   #9
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
No it was definitly the wallcaovering. I had hung about 3-4 strips and stopped for approval. All the other surrounding areas which you could clearly see were finished nicely and primed with no bleed of any sort visible. It was a large anount of vinyl, so they clearly did not want to return it if at all possible. I don't know if other hangers out there are experiencing the same thing I am but quality control is alot worse than what it was when I started years ago. I used to encounter flaws/shading on about 5-10% of material but now it seems to be about double that;very frustrating.
I believe we( the hangers) are the only quality control and if we a vigilate and send a product back, 9 times out of 10 the same thing( and I mean the SAME) thing will come back

Old 12-07-2011, 05:41 PM   #10

The vinyl will follow the contour of the wall. If there are depressions where the fastener holes weren't completely flush, would the vinyl not follow that contour, or would it bridge the depressions? If the vinyl gets pulled into the depressions, it will create a disruption of light and therefore shadows. I think the idea that construction adhesive would have caused it is a real stretch, if not crazy, through drywall? But, I've seem some crazy things. I took some valances down today where the tannin of the knots of the wood structure transfered onto the white cloth in which it was wrapped. And, I've seen nicotine burn through and discolor vinyl wallpaper. The irony of that is the the people quit smoking and had the whole house wallpapered for a fresh start. Well, the paper hanger didn't seal the nicotine and it bleed through, turning their beautiful off white paper a nasty brown. Took some time, but it wouldn't be deterred.

Old 12-07-2011, 06:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Quality control is down across the board, and it's going to go lower as time goes on. Union shops and government regulation have greatly increased the cost of production, past the point where the manufacturer can pass the cost on to the consumer, and is forced to eat it. Well, they don't eat it, you do, in lesser quality material inputs, understaffed plants and overworked employees who don't catch defects, reduced service levels, among other things. And the temptation to let seconds slide through increases. For every person that catches a defect, ten don't. Quality committments go out the window in favor of survival. Complying with federal regulations cost the American economy 1.75 trillion dollars per annum. That's 1.75 trillion dollars that business can't allocate to purchasing quality inputs, hiring producers, or research and development. Somebody gets a job regulating, but nothing tangible is produced, nothing that has marketable value. It's pure expense, and we're paying for it, but only to the extent that producers can pass it on to the consumer. Have you noticed that food portions have gotten smaller, but the price hasn't changed or has gone up. Tuna no longer comes in 6 oz cans, but 5 oz servings. The cost of commodities/raw materials has gone up so much that producers can't pass it on and are forced to cut portions to keep price relatively stable. This is where we're going, like it? You voted for it. Soap box, down.

Old 12-08-2011, 04:17 AM   #12
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
Quality control is down across the board, and it's going to go lower as time goes on. Union shops and government regulation have greatly increased the cost of production, past the point where the manufacturer can pass the cost on to the consumer, and is forced to eat it. Well, they don't eat it, you do, in lesser quality material inputs, understaffed plants and overworked employees who don't catch defects, reduced service levels, among other things. And the temptation to let seconds slide through increases. For every person that catches a defect, ten don't. Quality committments go out the window in favor of survival. Complying with federal regulations cost the American economy 1.75 trillion dollars per annum. That's 1.75 trillion dollars that business can't allocate to purchasing quality inputs, hiring producers, or research and development. Somebody gets a job regulating, but nothing tangible is produced, nothing that has marketable value. It's pure expense, and we're paying for it, but only to the extent that producers can pass it on to the consumer. Have you noticed that food portions have gotten smaller, but the price hasn't changed or has gone up. Tuna no longer comes in 6 oz cans, but 5 oz servings. The cost of commodities/raw materials has gone up so much that producers can't pass it on and are forced to cut portions to keep price relatively stable. This is where we're going, like it? You voted for it. Soap box, down.
I did not contribute to it.
I have not voted since 1972

Old 12-08-2011, 01:41 PM   #13

I just finished reading your comments on quality control jsheridan and when the inspirational background music in my head finally stopped I thought; no wonder this country is all screwed up all the level headed common sensical people have become painting contractors. Put down the brush, put on your suit and get up to D.C.. I'll vote for ya.
The Following User Says Thank You to ronnoez For This Useful Post:
jsheridan (12-08-2011)
Old 12-08-2011, 04:26 PM   #14
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
I just finished reading your comments on quality control jsheridan and when the inspirational background music in my head finally stopped I thought; no wonder this country is all screwed up all the level headed common sensical people have become painting contractors. Put down the brush, put on your suit and get up to D.C.. I'll vote for ya.
Well,hell,I might even break my voting ban to do that

The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
jsheridan (12-08-2011)
Old 12-08-2011, 08:25 PM   #15

Quote:
The hammer has hit the head of the nail. Level head and common sense. Everybody has basic incentives, motivations, and aversions in life, and they're common among us. Consumers will drive ten miles to redeem a 50 cent coupon, but a business owner doesn't change his business plan/costs to adjust for an increase in regulatory cost or taxes? That's what they tell us. Does that make sense? Your financial pie is limited, just as business owner's is, and when your costs go up you shed activities/expenses. What does a business owner shed? Overtime, fringe benefits, and employees, or they just close shop. Should he reduce his earnings instead of doing away with those things? Would you? Feeding his family, paying his mortgage, and meeting his kid's tuition payments are his priorities. What are yours, and do they include his priorities, or just your own? It's not selfish, it's human nature. Yet, we're told it's greed. To the list of things in short supply, like common sense, add critical thinking.
And Chrisn, the Canadian prophet, Geddy Lee, said, "If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice". If you don't vote you are voting, for the status quo.
I hear the mods coming, see ya.