Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-30-2010, 05:51 PM   #1

Share |

Helpppp!!!

hi there i have been a painter for many many years now but i have ran into a job that i cannot seem to takle and am a little bit confused. i have stain many decks in my past that turned out spectacular, with oil, semi, trans, solid, etc. recently i have ran into a client of mine who had her railings on all of her condos replaced. we have waited enough time to let them 'cure' if you will. she wants a solid on the top rail and a semi transparent on all the pickets let me fill you in it is a PAIN IN THE A** but her checks have always cashed so i am not complaining. the solid on the top rail turned out just fine as i knew it would, but in the past couple days i have started on the semi transparent and it keeps drying blotchy!!! I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING I CAN THINK OF i use sherwin williams deckscapes latex. have always used it have never ever ever had a problem with it. if anybody knows what could be causing this please please please let me know because i am getting ready to loose a long term client because she does not comprehend the fact of what is going on thanks -charlie

charlie10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 06:53 PM   #2

Helpppp!!!

I would switch to an oil semi transparent stain, like sikkens or cabbots.

www.PearlPainters.com
Pearl Painters, Lake Oswego Oregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie10 View Post
hi there i have been a painter for many many years now but i have ran into a job that i cannot seem to takle and am a little bit confused. i have stain many decks in my past that turned out spectacular, with oil, semi, trans, solid, etc. recently i have ran into a client of mine who had her railings on all of her condos replaced. we have waited enough time to let them 'cure' if you will. she wants a solid on the top rail and a semi transparent on all the pickets let me fill you in it is a PAIN IN THE A** but her checks have always cashed so i am not complaining. the solid on the top rail turned out just fine as i knew it would, but in the past couple days i have started on the semi transparent and it keeps drying blotchy!!! I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING I CAN THINK OF i use sherwin williams deckscapes latex. have always used it have never ever ever had a problem with it. if anybody knows what could be causing this please please please let me know because i am getting ready to loose a long term client because she does not comprehend the fact of what is going on thanks -charlie

Pearl Painters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:47 AM   #3

Helpppp!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie10 View Post
yep, your problem is that you are not using an oil stain!!! latex always look like ****. i would use either Cabot, Sikkens, or TWP oil stains. Just strip off the latex, give it a few days to dry, then use said products. pm me for more info man!
hammerheart14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 03:31 PM   #4

Helpppp!!!

Actually...(in THIS case) it matters very little what BRAND of Semi-Tr. stain is used.

>>> The issue here is the wood itself <<<

Are the spindles a cheap Pine/pressure-treated of some type? Even some cheaper Cedars' will take in stain fairly unevenly. NOTHING you can do about it.

Unless she bought "Clear all-Heart" Redwood, there will be moderate variation with ANY S/T stain. With CAH Redwood tho, she could've put on a new deck for what the spindles would cost !!

I'd put money down on this being the issue here.

Faron
Faron79 is offline   Reply With Quote