Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-13-2012, 08:12 AM   #1

Share |

Help with straight line!

Hi,
I'm repainting my kitchen/dr connected. 9 foot vaulted ceiling and originally i painted all of the walls and ceiling orange. There's a white chair rail and dark red under. The problem is I'm repainting walls beige, ceiling white. The drywall is not true and wavy in spots.

Do I follow the imperfect drywall line? Cut a line with tape and follow that? Help please!

Rono8582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:14 AM   #2

Help with straight line!

Some pics
Attached Thumbnails
Help with straight line!-image-385813198.jpg   Help with straight line!-image-3867564839.jpg   Help with straight line!-image-368177978.jpg  

Old 03-13-2012, 08:33 AM   #3

Help with straight line!

Looks like you are concerned primarily with the corner where the wall meets the ceiling.

It's sort of a toss up. One approach would be to paint the ceiling first, then tape the ceiling and paint the wall. You'll need to abrade that existing ceiling around the edges very well before applying the ceiling paint to help prevent the tape from pulling up the fresh, not-yet-fully-cured ceiling paint. With a wavy seam like that, taping can be difficult since it's hard follow the line of the seam without the tape behaving in ways that are going to let paint seep under it. You will probably have to go back and touch up spots. So the pros of this approach are a relatively straight finished line and the cons are tape potentially pulling up the new paint on one surface, and paint bleeding under the tape.

The alternative... and how a professional would do it... is to paint the ceiling and then cut in the wall to the ceiling by hand. If you have a steady hand and some comfort with paintbrushes then you can try this, but you're virtually guaranteed to have to go back and redo areas until you develop some competency in the firm of muscle memory. The pros of this approach are that you can, with practice, much more easily follow the seam of the two surfaces. The cons are dealing with mistakes where your hand was not as steady as was needed.

Here is a good how-to video from Purdy on cutting in:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bEfydl6upM

In my experience three things that really help with this are 1) A good worklight properly placed to illuminate the area you are working on in way that highlights the seam 2) a best quality angled 2.5" sash brush and 3) a small plastic paint bucket to work out of instead of the entire pain can.
Ironlight is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ironlight For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (03-13-2012)
Old 03-13-2012, 02:15 PM   #4

Help with straight line!

Ironlight presented some very good advice. Having done this painting gig for 33 years, I still can't explain to someone how to get that straight line between ceiling and wall. Call it experience, call it painter's intuition, or call it plain dumb luck, but it's a skill based on experience and the holding of the brush a certain way combined with a steady hand and a sharp eye. You simply "feel" the line for lack of a better term. Once you find that line, your brush (loaded with just the right amt. of paint) finds that line and stays on it, creating the ILLUSION of a perfectly straight line. It's amazing how fast you can make that cut when you reach a certain level of experience. Now, if the drywall is a complete disaster with bad corners, etc. there's almost no way to make it perfect.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:49 PM   #5

Help with straight line!

Wow, Ron, do you have any rods and cones left (eye parts). Do you have a Kenny Rogers sign in there somewhere (Seinfeld reference)? Just teasing. I'm sure it looks nice, but that light in the picture sets it on fire. I did a kitchen in orange a few years back and it was fabulous. I always wanted to have a hi-fi entertainment room, tons of windows/sunlight, semi-gloss orange (pure orange) walls and high gloss white trim, lots of black equipment and furniture. But.
I have a tutorial on my blog, below, find the link to painting without painter's tape. You might it helpful, others have. Good Luck.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:50 PM   #6

Help with straight line!

Nevermind, missed that Ironlight answered already.

Last edited by dengle; 03-13-2012 at 08:57 PM.
dengle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:08 PM   #7
Rubbin walls since'79

Help with straight line!

I had a friend in a similar situation have a novel answer-
She painted a fake cove- went about 3" out on ceil and wall with a nice complementary color- but made a nice straight line on both.
( JS- She used frog tape- and it worked well for her )

Looked nice and it was a theme she continued in other rooms.

You could also just wrap the ceil down 2 or 3 inches- similar effect.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:34 AM   #8
paper hanger and painter

Help with straight line!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
I had a friend in a similar situation have a novel answer-
She painted a fake cove- went about 3" out on ceil and wall with a nice complementary color- but made a nice straight line on both.
( JS- She used frog tape- and it worked well for her )

Looked nice and it was a theme she continued in other rooms.

You could also just wrap the ceil down 2 or 3 inches- similar effect.

I like it, sure beats putting a border up there with VOV
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 01:15 PM   #9
Just a DIY guy

Help with straight line!

The REAL painters here have the right answers about your issue, but I did see a tip last night on a home show about using tape. They were using tape to put several contrasting stripes along the center of the wall, something that would be really hard to do without tape (for most of us, anyway).

After putting on the tape, they sealed the edge with the original color paint. If any paint gets behind the tape, it's the same original color. Then you paint the contrasting color on top of the sealed tape edge. The sealed edge prevents the contrasting paint from creeping behind the tape.
M3 Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:52 AM   #10

Help with straight line!

Thanks for all the help so far guys,

I prepped and put 2 coats of primer over the ceiling and then a coat of Ben Moore's ceiling white pro coat. I have a 5 gal pail from other rooms done not too long ago.

The cut in will happen today and Hopefully one nice coat will do, but i think it might need 2. I have a purdy 1 1/2" angled brush from other projects/trim. It's still in great shape and being a cheapo, I'm going to use that to cut in. It may take longer than say a 2 or 3 " but I think it'll give me more control.

Since it's a nice brush it'll save me another $20 lol.

pics when done!
Old 03-19-2012, 10:19 AM   #11

Help with straight line!

Thanks for all the help guys! here are some finished photos!
Attached Thumbnails
Help with straight line!-599.jpg   Help with straight line!-597.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to Rono8582 For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (03-19-2012)
Old 03-19-2012, 10:48 AM   #12

Help with straight line!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post

What a fabulous idea. That looks really great.
Ironlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:17 PM   #13

Help with straight line!

Nice job rono. looks great and makes for a remarkable room change. Your rods and cones thank you.

jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote