DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Help Spraying Furniture!

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Brushjockey 
#1 ·
Hello Everyone,

Iam Spraying my kitchen cabinet doors and everything seemed to go smooth until they started to dry. There was discoloration and the paint was turning yellowish brown in some areas.

I cleaned them with a TSP and sanded them down with 120 Grit. I used Benjamin Moore STIX primer. I was told this was the best primer since Oil is not readily available in my area. I sprayed it on using a Fuji HVLP sprayer.

Ive included a couple of pics

Any advice on how to correct this? my wife is going to kill me if I dont fix them lol.

Thanks in Advance!

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Wow, you are up sh**creek without a paddle. As BJ said, there is definitely some dirt/contaminants you didn't get off the doors before priming. It's a long process getting them clean and ready for paint. I always use a degreaser/cleaner, sand, clean again. You really have to use some elbow grease to get stubborn stains/dirt off. Usually after a thorough cleaning, you are good to go with primer. Also, you are priming OAK which it looks like you are seeing some of the grain show through the primer. And, since you used a water based primer, tannins in the wood are leaching through.

At this point your best bet is to do a thorough sanding to try and remove those dirt stains. You are gonna be back to bare wood in some places. After being absolutely sure you sanded off the worst of the grime, I would clean up the dust and REPRIME with an oil-based primer. Surely there is a store that carries OIL-BASED Kilz? It may not be the very best primer, but, it will get the job done. It will block those stains and give something for your topcoats to stick to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.