Help With Shed - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2014, 01:06 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: London ON Canada
Posts: 5
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Help with shed


Hi everyone - first post here. I need to paint/stain my shed and I don't know where to start. It is rough-sewn wood and it has been previously stained in a light or natural color, but I don't know what kind of wood or stain since we're not the original owners.

I need advice on:
  1. Paint or stain? - leaning towards solid color stain in grayish blue
  2. Oil or acrylic?
  3. What type of surface prep for each finish?
  4. How do I apply said finish to rough wood?
  5. Anything else I need to know?

Let me know if you need any more information to make a recommendation and I'll try and get it.

Thanks!

Advertisement

reyemka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 03:14 PM   #2
DIY staff

 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kane county,Illinois
Posts: 22,350
Rewards Points: 3,336
Default

Help with shed


I think all of the painters are off to a cookout---so I'll help--

A stain is better than a paint over rough sawn wood--the modern acrylic water based stains are very good--- oil is too,but rather expensive---

Roll and back brush --this works the stain into the rough surface---two coats will protect the shed for many years---

A real painter will be along after the picnic---Mike----

Advertisement

__________________
New members: Adding your location to your profile helps in many ways.--M--
oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oh'mike For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (05-26-2014), ltd (05-26-2014)
Old 05-26-2014, 05:52 PM   #3
paper hanger and painter
 
chrisn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hagerstown MD
Posts: 6,867
Rewards Points: 2,242
Default

Help with shed


this painter whole heartedly agrees with Mike.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (05-26-2014)
Old 05-26-2014, 07:05 PM   #4
Member
 
Gymschu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Eastern Ohio (heart of Appalachia)
Posts: 3,050
Rewards Points: 2,310
Default

Help with shed


It really would help to know what's on there now. Some natural stains have paraffin in them and really need to be stripped to get the new coats to adhere well. I'm a big fan of SW's Woodscapes for rough sawn wood as you describe. It's a latex-based stain that will give 7 or 8 years of service before needing attention again.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
Jmayspaint (05-26-2014), ltd (05-26-2014)
Old 05-26-2014, 07:08 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: outside ocala fl
Posts: 3,830
Rewards Points: 2,696
Default

Help with shed


Too be honest I don't do a lot of staining but between shu and jmay who will be along shortly> I feel confident you will get some good advice.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:13 PM   #6
Member
 
Jmayspaint's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,354
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Help with shed


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu
It really would help to know what's on there now. Some natural stains have paraffin in them and really need to be stripped to get the new coats to adhere well. I'm a big fan of SW's Woodscapes for rough sawn wood as you describe. It's a latex-based stain that will give 7 or 8 years of service before needing attention again.

Yes. A lot of worn clear stains would probably be ok to go over with acrylic stain, but I would be nervous about going over Thompsons or something like that.

Look for an old can maybe you'll get lucky. Barring that, find a area of the shed that is protected from the weather (under the overhang,etc.) and throw a glass of water on it, or a brief squirt with the hose. See if wants to bead the water away or soaks it in readily. If it beads water readily, might want to think about it a little more.
Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jmayspaint For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (05-26-2014), ltd (05-26-2014)
Old 05-27-2014, 12:30 PM   #7
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: London ON Canada
Posts: 5
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Help with shed


Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Roll and back brush --this works the stain into the rough surface---
Do you mean roll it on and then go over with a brush?
reyemka is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to reyemka For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (05-27-2014)
Old 05-27-2014, 12:32 PM   #8
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: London ON Canada
Posts: 5
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Help with shed


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmayspaint View Post
Yes. A lot of worn clear stains would probably be ok to go over with acrylic stain, but I would be nervous about going over Thompsons or something like that.

Look for an old can maybe you'll get lucky. Barring that, find a area of the shed that is protected from the weather (under the overhang,etc.) and throw a glass of water on it, or a brief squirt with the hose. See if wants to bead the water away or soaks it in readily. If it beads water readily, might want to think about it a little more.
Thanks, I'll try the water test and let you know. Is Thompsons clear? There are several areas where the color is wearing off, so if Thompsons is clear, that would indicate that it is a stain, right?
reyemka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 07:47 PM   #9
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: London ON Canada
Posts: 5
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Help with shed


OK, I tried the water test and it beaded up. Does that mean staining is out?

Here are some pictures of the current finish if that helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Help with shed-_mg_6269.jpg   Help with shed-_mg_6268.jpg  
reyemka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 08:17 PM   #10
Member
 
Jmayspaint's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,354
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Help with shed


That's pretty worn, you might be ok with an acrylic stain.

I think if I was doing it I would dry scrub it with a stiff broom or brush to remove the loose stuff. Even more of the old stain will probably come off with the loose wood fibers. If there is mildew growing on a shaded side or under the eaves, it would be a good idea to spray it with a mild bleach solution to kill it, and lightly rinse it off.

An oil modified solid stain like Flood solid or Zar solid would bond better with any old stain left on the surface. This type of stain has bonding capabilities similar to a straight oil stain, but they are water borne so not as unpleasant to work with as a straight oil stain. And they aren't as costly.
Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jmayspaint For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (05-27-2014)
Old 05-27-2014, 08:36 PM   #11
Member
 
Matthewt1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,815
Rewards Points: 1,070
Default

Help with shed


That sure looks like an old oil based stain that wore off like it was supposed to. It's rare a latex stain will wear away like that. The good news is that it is so worn away that it probably won't matter. The other good news is that is T 111 siding. It's nearly impossible to not get paint to stick to that.
__________________
Latex Primer: Good for Drywall, that's about it.
Behr Paint: The plastic buckets are good, that's about it.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matthewt1970 For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (05-27-2014), ratherbefishin' (05-31-2014)
Old 05-30-2014, 10:12 PM   #12
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: London ON Canada
Posts: 5
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Help with shed


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmayspaint View Post
That's pretty worn, you might be ok with an acrylic stain.

I think if I was doing it I would dry scrub it with a stiff broom or brush to remove the loose stuff. Even more of the old stain will probably come off with the loose wood fibers. If there is mildew growing on a shaded side or under the eaves, it would be a good idea to spray it with a mild bleach solution to kill it, and lightly rinse it off.

An oil modified solid stain like Flood solid or Zar solid would bond better with any old stain left on the surface. This type of stain has bonding capabilities similar to a straight oil stain, but they are water borne so not as unpleasant to work with as a straight oil stain. And they aren't as costly.
what about power washing the shed to remove the old stain? i can scrape the stain off with my finger.
reyemka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 11:11 PM   #13
Member
 
Jmayspaint's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,354
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Help with shed


Quote:
Originally Posted by reyemka

what about power washing the shed to remove the old stain? i can scrape the stain off with my finger.

Yes, you could. It's hard to tell from pictures exactly what shape that siding is in. If its started to deteriorate it might be soft and easily damaged. In any case be cautious with the pressure, its possible to do more harm than good.
Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 08:12 AM   #14
ltd
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 548
Rewards Points: 508
Default

Help with shed


imho that's sheds redy to go .Sherwin Williams woodscapes solid stain in color you want .Roll it and brush it as mentioned. expect about 200 sq. per gal.spread rate on first coat . it will go up on second coat .two coats will be needed imho.now get going its getting late
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ltd For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (05-31-2014)
Old 06-02-2014, 01:47 PM   #15
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 22
Rewards Points: 16
Default

Help with shed


My shed was in bad shape, rotten through in some areas. I replaced a few sheets of t-111 and wire brushed and pressure washed others.

Then I went with Sherwin Williams oil based exterior primer, and 2 topcoats of Sherwin Williams latex exterior paint- Portabello (brown).

The siding I wire brushed and pressure washed was flaking off/ peeling, and probably should have been replaced, but it's holding up just fine after painting (3 years now).

I used Sherwin Williams water based stain/ sealer on my deck and didn't like the result (grayed out and got really splotchy), and if I was using stain on a shed I'd personally go oil based.

If you go with a stain I'd go with a solid stain for coverage. The remnants of stain or paint on your shed look light blue?

Good luck!

Advertisement

John in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Moving an 8x10 wooden shed 100 miles; how? (Video of shed inside) snowfall General DIY Discussions 32 10-23-2012 09:54 PM
Proper transition between shed roof and shingled roof? aribert Roofing/Siding 9 04-12-2012 04:17 PM
Zoning issue with planned shed Ler0y Jenkins General DIY Discussions 15 02-01-2012 01:41 PM
wiring a detached shed for AC power *and* generator backhaul wrooster Electrical 19 05-28-2010 12:59 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts