Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-03-2010, 04:05 PM   #1

Share |

HELP!!! Primed Knotty pine... needs to be unprimed!

Short story: My wife primed an entire room of knotty pine and I want it... undone. What do I do?

Long story:

Okay so we bought a house that's fairly outdated. I tore up some terrible carpet and just recently put 13" x 13" tile down in our breezeway. As part of the renovation of the room, my wife said she wanted to paint it. The walls are tongue and groove knotty pine. I like it. She doesn't. We compromised. Which means we decided to paint it.

My plan was to paint one of the extra boards the previous owner left in the garage and show her how bad it is going to look (the knots showing through, imperfections, etc.) While at work I got a phone call that she had begun priming the walls, moments after the grout of the tiles had officially settled. I freaked out. I got home and it's terrible. There are tons of nail holes, splinters, cracks, knots, etc. I don't feel like any of it is going to be covered.

So here I am. Beautiful brand new tile and half primed knotty pine. I need to know what I should do. I'm guessing if I want to actually paint the knotty pine, I'm going to have to go through with some wood putty and fill in EVERY hole, which is probably around a hundred. I'm okay with 3 coats of primer and 2 coats of paint, if that's what it takes to make it look good. So what do I do? Sand it, use some sort of paint thinner, tear it all out and dry wall ? I'm a do it yourselfer but by no means am I good at any of it. But I am willing to try anything.

Thanks for reading,

-Deke

deke44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 06:45 PM   #2
Learning by Doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by deke44 View Post
Short story: My wife primed an entire room of knotty pine and I want it... undone. What do I do?

Long story:

Okay so we bought a house that's fairly outdated. I tore up some terrible carpet and just recently put 13" x 13" tile down in our breezeway. As part of the renovation of the room, my wife said she wanted to paint it. The walls are tongue and groove knotty pine. I like it. She doesn't. We compromised. Which means we decided to paint it.

My plan was to paint one of the extra boards the previous owner left in the garage and show her how bad it is going to look (the knots showing through, imperfections, etc.)So you didn't ACTUALLY compromise. You agreed because you thought you were going to teach her a lesson. While at work I got a phone call that she had begun priming the walls, moments after the grout of the tiles had officially settled. I freaked out. So, she was trying to accomplish what you TWO had agreed to.... or so she though. I got home and it's terrible. There are tons of nail holes, splinters, cracks, knots, etc. I don't feel like any of it is going to be covered.

So here I am. Beautiful brand new tile and half primed knotty pine. I need to know what I should do. I'm guessing if I want to actually paint the knotty pine, I'm going to have to go through with some wood putty and fill in EVERY hole, which is probably around a hundred. Too bad, that's what your wife thought, because you agreed to it. I'm okay with 3 coats of primer and 2 coats of paint, if that's what it takes to make it look good. So what do I do? Sand it, use some sort of paint thinner, tear it all out and dry wall ? I'm a do it yourselfer but by no means am I good at any of it. But I am willing to try anything.

Thanks for reading,

-Deke
Deke - it is a delicate line you dance with the faux agreement with the spouse. I walked the same line when my Dear sweet ignorant husband picked some god-awful colors for a room I just re-plastered. I went and bought paint in similar colors that I found more attractive. I painted it, and he is none the wiser. But, mine was a dangerous gambit. I could easily have had to do re-paint. These are the risks we run as married people. You gambled and lost on this one.

Me, I'd drywall, but I hate the look of knotty pine. Might be a good time for the wife to learn how to tape and mud. Good luck.

Old 06-04-2010, 03:44 AM   #3
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deke44 View Post

Long story:

My plan was to paint one of the extra boards the previous owner left in the garage and show her how bad it is going to look (the knots showing through, imperfections, etc.) While at work I got a phone call that she had begun priming the walls, moments after the grout of the tiles had officially settled. I freaked out. I got home and it's terrible. There are tons of nail holes, splinters, cracks, knots, etc. I don't feel like any of it is going to be covered.

So here I am. Beautiful brand new tile and half primed knotty pine. I need to know what I should do. I'm guessing if I want to actually paint the knotty pine, I'm going to have to go through with some wood putty and fill in EVERY hole, which is probably around a hundred. I'm okay with 3 coats of primer and 2 coats of paint, if that's what it takes to make it look good. So what do I do? Sand it, use some sort of paint thinner, tear it all out and dry wall ? I'm a do it yourselfer but by no means am I good at any of it. But I am willing to try anything.

Thanks for reading,

-Deke
So, which is it,half or whole?
In either case it should be completly primed with one(1) coat of oil based primer or better yet Bin, after filling nail holes etc., then painted.As Leah posted,I would tear out the ugly pine and drywall but I do not like the look of the knotty pine, painted or not.
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote