Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-31-2011, 05:21 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

help please..unprofessional painter

I hired a painter for outside of house. Terrible so far but my question is how to I tell them I know they didnt apply two coats as agreed upon. I do not have proof other than I can see through the paint. They say they did apply two coats. This has been a horrible experience with this company from the begining , I just want it to end. Never hire a contractor again. Sorry to be such a bummer , Thank you all

ccwtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:57 AM   #2
Stay-at-home GC

Do you have the original cans of paint in you possession? Are they a good brand or cut rate stuff? Did he spray or brush?

If you still have the original cans. I would strip a small section down close to the ground. Apply the same treatment he claims to have provided and see if the results match.

If it is cut rate paint if often does not have the same quantity of pigment solids as higher quality stuff. If he sprayed he may have over-thinned.

If it is a quality paint company, contact them and see if they will send out a rep. to look at the paint. They often have field guys who can tell good from bad workmanship and may stand with you.

Some days, my Life needs a Rewind/Erase Button.
CplDevilDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:01 AM   #3
Stay-at-home GC

Is he the Prime Contractor or Sub-contractor. Was it a big, well established painting company that you contacted and came out first and then sent a Sub out?

If so, contact the Prime directly. He will be concerned about the reputation of their company and will evaluate the job.

Did you pay? If so, what percent?

Old 05-31-2011, 08:30 AM   #4

he works independently, no company, many years of service, 3 good references. I think he underbid job and now is cutting costs at my expense. Uses expression " doing the best I can" / Now he has even stopped sanding and just putting paint on to get job done. Using Ben Moore, he keeps paint in 3 gallon buckets in his truck. have paid half upfront. Remaining half due on completion.
I think I am out of luck and will be doing this job again next year.

Last edited by ccwtd; 05-31-2011 at 08:33 AM.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:00 AM   #5
Stay-at-home GC

Was Sanding part of your initial contract? If it was, tell him he needs to return to the areas he passed over and complete them.

Ask him if he feels he underbid the job. Was his bid especially out of line with others? If so, you may want to renegotiate. Low-bid jobs are guaranteed "lose-lose". The Contractor will cut corners to try and stay in business and the Customer will be unhappy with the final product.

It sounds like he is still working on the job. Can you watch him to verify he is doing two coats? I assume you have told him you're not happy with the results of the work? I would focus on the results issue because he may be doing good technical work with a poor product.

Did he provide the material? Is it possible he is substituting or cutting the paint to save on material costs?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CplDevilDog For This Useful Post:
ccwtd (05-31-2011), mustangmike3789 (05-31-2011)
Old 05-31-2011, 10:47 AM   #6
NACE Coating Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by CplDevilDog View Post
Do you have the original cans of paint in you possession? Are they a good brand or cut rate stuff? Did he spray or brush?

If you still have the original cans. I would strip a small section down close to the ground. Apply the same treatment he claims to have provided and see if the results match.

If it is cut rate paint if often does not have the same quantity of pigment solids as higher quality stuff. If he sprayed he may have over-thinned.

If it is a quality paint company, contact them and see if they will send out a rep. to look at the paint. They often have field guys who can tell good from bad workmanship and may stand with you.
im guessing that the OP does not have a TOOKE gauge to measure cured coatings and all of the layers of paint applied. now there is a slight chance that the BM rep may have one or have access to one. if this guy is skipping sanding and surface prep, you need to stop the job right now or you will be repainting real soon.
mustangmike3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:40 AM   #7
Stay-at-home GC

Good point, the more hours you allow him to put into the job without telling him you are considering disputing his final invoice based on workmanship, the more hard feelings will exist.

If he walks off the job, you are in no worse than if he completes it half-a$$ and then you have to pay someone later to fix it.

Offer to listen to his side of the story. Serious mistakes in estimating are often made in small operations and it makes no sense to hold his feet to the fire if it is going to bankrupt him while you receive the rushed work he feels is necessary in order to not lose his business.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:53 AM   #8
Stay-at-home GC

Just say "Listen Joe, I would like you to stop working until we can figure out why the results are not what I was expecting. I thought 2 coates of paint would completely cover and I'd like to get a Benjamin More rep out here to see if there is a problem with the paint"

Ask him to leave the paint with you . Suggest he move onto the next job and if there is a problem with the paint you can cover his extra set up/ tear down.

Ask him if he under bid the job. If he says yes tel him you are going to get 3 new bids on the work and if his estimate was way out you will be willing to negotiate his contact.

Old 05-31-2011, 12:23 PM   #9
NACE Coating Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by CplDevilDog View Post
Just say "Listen Joe, I would like you to stop working until we can figure out why the results are not what I was expecting. I thought 2 coates of paint would completely cover and I'd like to get a Benjamin More rep out here to see if there is a problem with the paint"

Ask him to leave the paint with you . Suggest he move onto the next job and if there is a problem with the paint you can cover his extra set up/ tear down.

Ask him if he under bid the job. If he says yes tel him you are going to get 3 new bids on the work and if his estimate was way out you will be willing to negotiate his contact.
very good advise. nobody likes to lose money.
mustangmike3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:56 PM   #10
Environmental Health

curious. What year was the house built. May can help.
Dean CRCNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:12 PM   #11
Rubbin walls since'79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean CRCNA View Post
curious. What year was the house built. May can help.
Dean- if you're thinking what I think your thinking...
Brushjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:26 PM   #12

Best advise I have ever recieved, you are all awesome. House built in 1989, 22 years old, cedar clapboardes
does that help?
Old 05-31-2011, 09:32 PM   #13
Environmental Health

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccwtd View Post
Best advise I have ever recieved, you are all awesome. House built in 1989, 22 years old, cedar clapboardes
does that help?
Unfortunately, it doesn't help. Sorry.
Dean CRCNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:34 PM   #14
Stay-at-home GC

No doubt! Did you see the fine the slapped that guy with in Oregon? Ouch

Old 06-01-2011, 09:24 AM   #15

So I wanted to give you great people an update. 5 weeks of painting today! Spoke to painter and he said he did not underbid job, I almost gave him more money 3 times but no he is fine and has done two coats, however I just watched outside window and think I see some of the problem. He brings the brush full up the ladder and paints a section about 6ft by 6ft with that one brush !... says he will take care of everything and if I have a problem in the next year or two he will come fix (ya).
says he has to be done by sunday..5 more days, but remember he only works 4-6 hrs per day! Told him he could replace screen and door bell coated with paint or take off bill. He said take off I dont have time to deal with that. Oh said he put 2 coats on front of garage, I said when I was here yesterday he said it is solid body stain and drys immediately so he puts it right on within the hour ?! Told him I wanted some paint to send to Ben Moore he said he would leave me some paint but he paid for it out of bid. He said he was using there new exterior paint, begins with and A or E, sorry.
Just telling you all this so someone else may benefit from my mistake and learn that just cause you get good ref, in bus for 30yrs,painted house good before doesnt mean you will get a good job. spend extra money to get a team that has a boss that cares about the job and your property. Dont go with guys working alone for themselves.
Again thank you for all your help and I will write after this coming winter when its peeling.

Last edited by ccwtd; 06-01-2011 at 09:28 AM.