Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-20-2014, 01:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Help please with a deck stain/paint

Hello- I am very new here and still looking around, but I wanted to pose my question before my contractor comes by tomorrow to quote me on a project. We have a house that is 16 years old with a deck and porch. In November, we replaced the front steps up to the house and all of the rotten deck boards. We are now ready to have the deck restained/repainted. My questions are:

1) Because we have replaced about 1/4 of the old wood with new wood, will it be possible to pick a dark stain that will cover everything and match (currently our deck is a reddish brown, and I don't mind going darker if it means everything will match)

2) People are suggesting I don't restain and instead use a product like deck restore or deckover, which is like painting to me. I am hesitant to use it, because I am scared it is not going to last more than a year because our deck is in direct sun. I am scared it is going to peel up. We live in SC and usually our winters are mild, but our summers are brutal.

3) I am thinking, based on my research, that a semi-solid stain will be the best option for me, but I am not sure about the matching. Again, I am happy to go darker if that would be better, or trying to match what I currently have.

The wood is in pretty good shape, and the original stain has held up well (in my opinion), but its faded. I have no idea about the brand or color or anything with the original stain, as it was just there when we moved in.

Anyone with experience with this (good or bad) willing to share would be awesome. And if you have used a particular brand and liked or not liked please do tell.

Thanks for your time and help!

staticgirl_77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 04:02 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 12

Your contractor should be able to answer all your questions, but, here's a few ideas.
Yes, you can stain your deck DARKER to make old and new blend together. Semi-solid would be the way to go because a semi-transparent would not have enough pigment in it to blend old and new to look CLOSE to the same, however, the more solids that are in a deck stain, the more chances exist for peeling due to all the foot traffic.

As for Deckover type products our very own JeffNC here on DIYchatroom has used the product and can chime in on the results. I am still skeptical about how that stuff performs over the long haul.

Whatever you decide, just remember a deck takes monumental amounts of abuse from foot traffic, pets, wind, rain, snow, UV rays, etc. and needs attention every 2 or 3 years no matter what product you apply. It's just "one of those things."

Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
ltd (03-20-2014), staticgirl_77 (03-20-2014), VAProPainter (03-20-2014)
Old 03-20-2014, 05:16 PM   #3
ltd

for an older deck I like Sherwin Williams deckscapes solid. Pressure wash let dry then 1 or 2 coats .this solid stain will fill in cracks and kind of bind together old wood . its not magic but it will make an old deck look very good. On my deck I used it a couple years ago and I thought what took me so long .but yes on a newer deck semi transparent is good .as to a restore product I don't like it ,for me its ugly,a mildew, moss , dirt magnet. jmo
ltd is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ltd For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (03-20-2014), rbriggs82 (03-20-2014)
Old 03-20-2014, 05:17 PM   #4
Painting Contractor

A Semi Solid stain which is darker than what you currently have might be a viable option. It kind of depends on the condition of the old wood.

My suggestion would be to use a solid stain like Sherwin Williams Deckscapes. You will be able to pick any color any it has more longevity than a semi solid or semi trans stain.

I've never tried any of those deck over products but I'm really skeptical on how long it'll last.

Where in SC are you located? I'm in the Charleston area.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
rbriggs82 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rbriggs82 For This Useful Post:
ltd (03-20-2014)
Old 03-20-2014, 05:49 PM   #5
Painting Contractor

Rewards Points: 6

I like the semi-solid oil stain, however the new wood is not going to match the old in appearance, even if the color is close. If you can live with that, then it is a good option.
VAProPainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:11 PM   #6
Painting Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd View Post
for an older deck I like Sherwin Williams deckscapes solid. Pressure wash let dry then 1 or 2 coats .this solid stain will fill in cracks and kind of bind together old wood . its not magic but it will make an old deck look very good. On my deck I used it a couple years ago and I thought what took me so long .but yes on a newer deck semi transparent is good .as to a restore product I don't like it ,for me its ugly,a mildew, moss , dirt magnet. jmo
Funny, we posted at the same time with the exact same suggestion.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to rbriggs82 For This Useful Post:
staticgirl_77 (03-20-2014)
Old 03-20-2014, 07:18 PM   #7

rbriggs82- I am also in charleston...do you residential or commercial work? I am just wondering because I am meeting with a contractor tomorrow for the first time (to get a price and his take on the work), but I haven't hired anyone yet...
staticgirl_77 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to staticgirl_77 For This Useful Post:
rbriggs82 (03-20-2014)
Old 03-20-2014, 07:51 PM   #8
Painting Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by staticgirl_77 View Post
rbriggs82- I am also in charleston...do you residential or commercial work? I am just wondering because I am meeting with a contractor tomorrow for the first time (to get a price and his take on the work), but I haven't hired anyone yet...
I only do residential repaints and would be more than happy to setup an appointment and give you a price. You can check out my website at

http://www.paragonpainting.com

You can contact me through the form on the left of the website and we can setup a time though email or you can private message me with your phone number.

Last edited by rbriggs82; 03-20-2014 at 08:16 PM.