Help Picking My Primer Please - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-21-2011, 04:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Help picking my primer please

Hi guys new to the forum, Ive done alot of my research already but need some help picking a primer. Were gonna be painting our kitchen/dining and living room which havent been paint in 12 years. It looks like they never primed from what I can tell it some areas that have chipped...in addition to that weve done alot of patch work where we took off a chair rail and closed up some window openings into the living room. 4 coats of compound and gonna sand and clean everything ready. The old paint is definetly latex and Im going to be painting over with 2 coats of BM Regal or Regal Select not sure yet.

MY questions are what is the best primer for the money to prime these walls so everything blends well? Were going with a green in kitchen and light grey in living room and the existing wall color is white.

Should I go with BM Fresh start or is something like gripper good enough? I wanna spend the money if needed but if I can save some by using a cheaper primer Id like to since Im going for a higher end paint.

ALso is Select that much better then regular Regal?

Thanks guys for any help

Advertisement

mpjohnny5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 04:36 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,306

I hope I'm understanding your post correctly. It sounds like you did some patching in some areas & left some areas as they were, which is, previously painted wall surface. If that's the case, just "spot" prime the patched areas with a good drywall primer from SW or BM. Lightly sand the painted area of the walls. Wash down walls to remove lingering dust. Then topcoat the walls with 2 coats of your favorite paint. Simple fix and you don't have to buy a bunch of primer. You mentioned Gripper.......no need for a bonding primer unless you have high gloss paint on your walls or woodwork......then it would be a good idea to hit those areas with the Gripper.

Advertisement

Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 07:04 PM   #3

Yes spot priming was an option. We figured since it doesnt look like they used primer in the past that priming everything would be better. Also with the patchwork I dont want to leave any chance for that to show. If Gripper is overkill is there something better for this application but cheaper then BM Fresh Start?
Old 10-21-2011, 08:36 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,306

Valspar primers are relatively inexpensive. I prefer drywall primer from Sherwin-Williams, but, if you're looking to save a few bucks, Lowe's has your primer. And, by the way, nothing wrong with applying Gripper or really any type of bonding primer. Since you don't really know what/or how the original paint was applied, a bonding primer could be a safe bet (a bit of overkill) in your case.
Attached Images

Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 08:41 PM   #5

Also we tried sample a color on the wall and it's too dark so were going to go a few shades lighter gray than the sample. We should spot prime those areas back to white right?
Old 10-22-2011, 04:41 AM   #6
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,240

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpjohnny5 View Post
Also we tried sample a color on the wall and it's too dark so were going to go a few shades lighter gray than the sample. We should spot prime those areas back to white right?

Not necessary with 2 finish coats.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:02 AM   #7
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,240

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewartlaura67 View Post
I think you will be ok just using interior primer on the areas where you did some patching. That should save you some money so you can invest in a quality top coat paint.
This thread is 2 months old. I would bet this job is finished by now

Advertisement

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote