DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Help! Painting problems on my finished garage

4K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Matthewt1970 
#1 ·
Hi All,
I am a new one in this forum. Please help me to fix the painting problems in my newly finished car garage. I hired one handyman to install drywall for my remaining areas and paint whole garage (partially installed drywalls are made by the previous owner). He installed new drywalls, remove old taping on the old drywalls, mudding, sanding, and painting 2 coats(1st cost: using "premier and coating in one"; second coat: white paint). after he is done, I found there are still two colors in my garage-white color in new drywall installation area and tape areas; light yellow painting color from my old drywalls. He insisted that he painted 2 coats and I have to pay more for him for 3rd coating.
I think 2 coating is enough to cover up old painting. I doubt he did not paint 2nd coat totally or using thiner paint on 2nd coat.
he said it is normal for the project like this-with old drywall. there is no way to put new drywall and old drywall color in same. Is it ture?
thanks. I paid $1500 for this project(no insulation) and I think I deserve to get a better one. thanks .Tina

#3 ·
Your issue is pretty simple.......
Drywall companies use recycled paper for the board. Some cheaper than others. What happens when you apply latex paint to some board is that it bleeds yellow. This is the resins in the paper.......cure kilz, bins, or some sort of sealer then top coat. Being that this drywall was already up that should have been the process anyways because of potential residue from cars and others things. Also the bleed will go right through mud at times as well.

#5 ·
Wow, so the old drywalls were bought by the builder, maybe from China? I heard the lawsuit in FL.
but the problem is I did not ask them replace the old drywall. I just ask the handyman install new ones in unfinished area and paint all garage. Now I still can see the "blood" from old ones. the handyman said he put 2 coating there. I do not think so, or maybe the painting is too thin to cover up old painting. Am I right? I did not pay him. If it is his fault, I will reduce the payment. But if it is normal, like what he said, I will pay in full to him
But my instinct tells me that is not right and he should fix it to make everywhere in one color-white, no matter old or new drywalls.
thanks.

#7 ·
The old drywall paint color was yellow? Or the drywall "paper" or facing was yellow. If the existing drywall was densarmor it is supposed to be completely skimmed before prime and paint. If not you can have problems when painting it.

It should be in your contract with him how many coats of what and what brand/ color of paint to be used. If your contract states Prime 1-coat Paint 2-coats whatever brand/ white then he skipped a step. If your contract states Prime 1-coat Paint 1-coat whatever brand/ white and he applied it that way then he did as described. Please use common sense when interpreting my example.

There are different standards that are applied to the different trade work as well. The standard applied or specified (if none the minimum is usually applied) in the contract may affect the situation to. If the contract was for level 4 finish with two coats paint and it was fulfilled and it didn't cover the yellow then you're probably paying for a third coat. Warranties may also affect the situation.

The drywall imported from China was a relatively recent event (after Katrina). Most of that went to the gulf states and was installed in new homes. The primary issue was the core make up (ash) not the paper.

#8 ·
Easy way to tell if he put 2 coats on is to go look where the joints are that he mudded. Joint compound will usually soak up the first coat of primer so much so that you will hardly even see any orange peel (Roller nap texture). Also if it has any kind of sheen (Shine/gloss) like eggshell, satin or semi-gloss then it will be very uneven there as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.