Help Painting Our Open Floor Plan - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-02-2011, 03:44 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Help painting our open floor plan

Help painting our open floor plan-7.jpg

Help painting our open floor plan-0430111134.jpg

Help painting our open floor plan-0430111136a.jpg

Help painting our open floor plan-0430111136.jpg

We are having a very hard time figuring out how to seperate the color of our living/dining combo with our dining/kitchen combo. We have high ceilings and flat white paint all over which makes our home feel very cold and unwelcoming. After sampling a few colors, weve decided the best would be a milk chocolate to warm it up and give it that homey feel. The problem however is that our kitchen, which is sharing a wall with the diningroom, has lower ceilings. Im thinking this darker brown wouldnt be the greatest in there, and would rather paint it a green. Should we just stop the brown and start the green right in the middle of the wall, or at the cabinets, or neither? I opt for the cabinets, however my husband feels we should just split it where the kitchen ceiling begins. I think that would be too harsh of a line, and if done at the cabinets we could hide the small split above and below with plants, etc. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Advertisement

amberd521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 05:48 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Hi Amber, There are a couple of options. I have seen colors split in the middle of a wall, it looked pretty sharp. I think that depended on the particular aspects of that space/colors though. I've done it myself on occassion, but not in high profile areas. Some possibilities are to;
Place a decorative piece of trim on the wall from where the kit ceiling starts to the counter top, creating a divider between the rooms. The trim helps the eye justify the break. I wouldn't paint it trim color though.
Choose a color that blends the two and do the long wall end to end in a third color, for just that wall
Take the brown all the way down the long wall to the corner of the kitchen. Or, do the opposite with the green.
Even though they are two different areas, you're not bound to keep the two colors strictly under their ceiling area. They can cross over. Experiment, it's only paint which can be painted over. Some of the neatest effects come from taking chances.
My question for you would be what color are you doing the ceiling, if you are? If you're interested in creating warmth, a soft off white that ties the two colors together would add a great deal. Have fun.

Advertisement

jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 01:37 PM   #3
ltd

Rewards Points: 508

ok, here's my spin. i would keep the beige color going through out the whole living, dine, kitchen, its a open floor plan so let one color flow through out .i like something like kilim beige ,sherwin williams .when you put color on the walls your 6 panel doors, painted trim the detail of your ceilings is really going to pop. i cant believe i said pop but yea it will. if you want divide wall color i think your husband right at were to divide it .bottom line its only paint if you dont like it one color ,divided it
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:46 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Thank you both for the advice. Answering your question, the ceiling is something that I would really like to paint. It would take more prep seeing how we can see drywall tape coming up in alot of places (however you would fix that?), but its something I think would really pay off.
amberd521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:17 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

Here's the deal with painting the ceiling. Patching the failed tape is not that big of a deal, unless it's everywhere. Secondly, if you don't do it now, it's going to be harder to do later without damaging the walls and getting a nice line. thirdly, it'll never get done. On a ceiling of that size and those angles of view, and being DIY, use a dead flat dedicated ceiling paint, no wall paint. That will be a challenge, if you're up for it, but it will definitely pay off, as you say.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:09 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

i squinted to visualize that color along the dining room wall and my suggestion is continue the color under that island section on the dinning room side that will balance the color split into the kitchen..build yourself a ..wine rack and put it next to the cabinet just above the island.that LR has some wierd angles..might want to lighten up that dinnng room color if you do continue it into the kitchen line wouldn't be as defined then...

Advertisement

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote