Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-03-2012, 02:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

HELP! Painted Bathroom with normal paint!!

Hi,
I've recently had a brand new bathroom installed and stupidly have painted the ceiling with normal emulsion paint and forgotten to use 'Bathroom Paint'.....as I haven't used the bethroom yet, not had a shower etc, is it ok to just go over the top with a couple of coats of bathroom paint?? Or do I need to do a bit more to tackle the problem....

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!!!!!

itdel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:11 PM   #2
weekend warrior

Rewards Points: 150

I used bathroom paint on the walls, but all my ceilings have standard paint... 5 years later the bathroom ceiling is fine.

johnny331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:16 PM   #3
jschaben

Rewards Points: 502

Quote:
Originally Posted by itdel11 View Post
Hi,
I've recently had a brand new bathroom installed and stupidly have painted the ceiling with normal emulsion paint and forgotten to use 'Bathroom Paint'.....as I haven't used the bethroom yet, not had a shower etc, is it ok to just go over the top with a couple of coats of bathroom paint?? Or do I need to do a bit more to tackle the problem....

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!!!!!
I don't see any need to panic... just paint over what you have. I assume by "bathroom paint" you are using a higher sheen in there.

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:24 PM   #4
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

Please explain what the "normal" paint is, and what you think "bathroom" paint is-
You might be fine as long as it's not a dead flat- and if you have a vent fan in the bath.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:16 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for the responses. At the moment I've just used Crown, White Matt Emulsion. With regards to 'Bathroom paint' I'm reffering to the kind advertised in B & Q / Homebase usually Dulux that say they're specially designed to withold moisture / mould etc....
itdel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:25 PM   #6
Rubbin walls since'79

Because we have this ocean separating suppliers, I'm not familiar with the brand.
For the most part- you want a paint with at least a little sheen to give it some hold out from moisture. The ones that say for a bath usually have a little extra mildewcide in it also.
Every bath is different- most important thing is having a way to clear steam and humidity out. The worse your bath does that- the more important the moisture resistance of a paint becomes.
For the most part I recommend my clients use an eggshell finish, not flat or matte in baths. Even ( especially_ ) on ceilings.
drtbk4ever (10-03-2012), ToolSeeker (10-05-2012), user1007 (10-03-2012)
Old 10-03-2012, 05:39 PM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

We guessed from some of the terms you used that you are not on of us proud Norte Americanos. You might want to update your profile so we have a general idea where you are in the future.

The marketing ploy of kitchen and bath paint never took off well here. As mentioned, most of it is but waterbased acrylic/latex with a mildew agent tossed in. I suspect you can buy the mildicide and better paint in the sheen you want cheaper and just mix them.

It used to be baths were automatically painted with a semi-gloss but there is no particular reason to go that direction anymore. If there is adequate ventilation. Obviously if you take long 12 hour showers and expect the cubicle to dry out in the remaining 12 you are in for trouble with any paint.

Something like an eggshell will give you some sheen and I suppose added washability.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote