Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-14-2012, 03:19 PM   #1

Share |

help with paint issue!

So I prime and paint one of our rooms, I used Zisszer 123 primer (sp??) and then Dunn edwards Suprema paint. I have heavy knockdown texture. So after the first coat I notice a spot on the wall that has the primer still bleeding through, I thought strange but after he second coat it was still bleeding. I looked closer and tried to touch up with a brush and after 1-2 seconds the paint sort of fish eyes from tops of the bumps in the texture? I tried to hit the area with primer again with the same result??? This blows out of the entire room I have to deal with a 1/4" spot? So I figure perhaps oil or some other contaminate there? I use my finger nail to scrape the tan paint away it was not adhearing in this one spot only. I used TSP tried again, same issue, used rubbing alchol, same issue. This is crazy? Any suggestions??

titan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 04:35 PM   #2

help with paint issue!

Try dabbing a little oil based primer, if you have some. Sand it lightly first. Some things are inexplicable, try doing it for a living, it can be very frustrating at times.

jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jsheridan For This Useful Post:
ltd (03-14-2012)
Old 03-14-2012, 06:43 PM   #3

help with paint issue!

Thanks I was thinking I may have to use an oil based primer, I do have some. I still can't figure out why I am having an issue with a tiny spot like this. Of course it has to be 5 feet up the wall in plain sight not down in a corner near the baseboard. Should I just spray it lightly with some Kilz primer from the can on the spot and then roll out this section of wall? I just don't want the texture to get brush marks.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:35 PM   #4

help with paint issue!

Titan, you might try a q-tip dipped in an oil based primer. That way you can limit the footprint of the primed area & you will be able to hide it much easier.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
ltd (03-14-2012)
Old 03-14-2012, 08:00 PM   #5
ltd

help with paint issue!

it looks like some silicone caulk got smudged on the wall. definitely something contaminated the wall. if you have to. scrape top layer off with a single edge razor you might have to touch it up with a little spackle prime paint . or you could tear out the walls down to the studs, re sheet rock texture,prime , yea your right i'm getting a little silly, you think
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ltd For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (03-15-2012), jsheridan (03-14-2012)
Old 03-14-2012, 08:56 PM   #6

help with paint issue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd View Post
it looks like some silicone caulk got smudged on the wall. definitely something contaminated the wall. if you have to. scrape top layer off with a single edge razor you might have to touch it up with a little spackle prime paint . or you could tear out the walls down to the studs, re sheet rock texture,prime , yea your right i'm getting a little silly, you think
I had to stop and re-read the poster name, thought I was reading Joecaption.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:07 PM   #7

help with paint issue!

Yep, you are gettin silly? LOL. Got another question for you guys. My bro told me to put dishwashing liquid in my paint? Is this wise and if it is ok? How much? LOL. Duh? I don't know nothin about painting, drywall, this is why I am here and if we get these rooms done...I will shout out to you all. Already, I have enjoyed this site so! It is amazing and the creativity is priceless. The knowledge aint bad neither.
annibelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:36 PM   #8
Rubbin walls since'79

help with paint issue!

Water . A little bit. But no soap.

It is most def some kind of contaminate. The oil or shellac on a q tip will probably work. If its silicone- well....
Old 03-14-2012, 10:18 PM   #9

help with paint issue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
Titan, you might try a q-tip dipped in an oil based primer. That way you can limit the footprint of the primed area & you will be able to hide it much easier.
Thanks, thats exactly what I did. I will try touch up with am micro brush if nogo I will just re-roll the wall.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:57 AM   #10
paper hanger and painter

help with paint issue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by annibelle View Post
Yep, you are gettin silly? LOL. Got another question for you guys. My bro told me to put dishwashing liquid in my paint? Is this wise and if it is ok? How much? LOL. Duh? I don't know nothin about painting, drywall, this is why I am here and if we get these rooms done...I will shout out to you all. Already, I have enjoyed this site so! It is amazing and the creativity is priceless. The knowledge aint bad neither.

no, never , for no reason what so ever, forget about it
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:52 AM   #11

help with paint issue!

There is a saying in the hack end of the buiness, the sandpaper and caulk are in the paint. Never heard of the dish soap, maybe it cleans the surfaces as your brushing. LOL
NEVER.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:50 AM   #12
Too Short? Cut it Again!

help with paint issue!

Have heard of dishsoap added to drywall compound but never paint. I happen to like Floetrol in semi-gloss for trim but as pointed out, most quality paint has nice surfacing qualities to it so it may be overkill.

As for glitches on the walls that show through no matter what you do? My gallery clients use that clay like stuff to mount titles and price tags next to very, very expensive pieces of art. A block of the stuff costs all of about $2 but darned if they don't insist on recycling it. Kneading it into shape pulls every tiny bit of oil and dirt out of your fingers. You stick it to the wall and the porosity of the wall sucks the oil and whatever right in. The more you knead it, the more oil it takes in. I have found absolutely nothing yet that will cover it properly. Raising the sheen is an option only to a point but it has made no difference. Perhaps few but me notice I guess. It is not so noticeable on whiter walls but most of my clients preferred warm grays.

Those stupid 3M things that are supposed to come off without leaving a residue are nightmarish. If the poster's problem is at a height where something was hung. Bet you $5 there was one of those 3M things there.

Of course, as a former painter, anything with an adhesive of any kind, makes me nervous and is bound to cause problems. I encouraged clients to quit worrying about making holes with push pins, thumb tacks, frame hooks, nails, rail spikes or whatever (so long as not hitting plumbing or electrical runs). I can patch holes. Adhesives and walls do not belong together except for those used by a pro for papering!

Last edited by user1007; 03-15-2012 at 09:57 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (03-15-2012)
Old 03-15-2012, 10:09 AM   #13

help with paint issue!

Well tried the qtip with Liz oil base primer, still not covering well. This freaking blows! I am going to let everything dry for a few days and try again. Dabbing the primer is not working so I am going to roll it on this area to get a good amount of primer on the wall and then re-roll the entire wall. This make no sense, I painted the house 12 yrs ago including this bathroom. No silicone caulk used anywhere. Just a pita!
Old 03-15-2012, 10:27 AM   #14

help with paint issue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by annibelle View Post
hmm...adding dishwashing liquid to paint would never be advisable - but I know where that line of thinking comes from. Soap lowers surface tension and, therefore, makes paint flow more freely....unfortunately, now you have to add a defoamer (it doesn't take much dishwashing liquid cause a lot of foam)...so, add a couple capfuls of paint thinner or alcohol to keep bubbling to a minimum, and make sure you don't add too much, or not enough, of either (soap or thinner) 'cause both will inhibit adhesion, plus make the paint spread further than is recommended...which affects hiding...and film integrity...and washability....and could even make the paint more difficult to recoat later.

Truth is, there's already "soap" in the paint...and defoamers. Both at the proper level for optimum performance. Other than those products specifically designed as paint additives, and approved by paint manufacturers (floetrol, for example), don't try to improve the paint's rheology by adding home remedies. These products are formulated by chemists who are usually pretty competent. Trust me on this one.

P.S. Don't wash your walls with dish washing detergent either...

Last edited by ric knows paint; 03-15-2012 at 10:33 AM.
ric knows paint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ric knows paint For This Useful Post:
user1007 (03-15-2012)
Old 03-15-2012, 11:21 AM   #15

help with paint issue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by titan7 View Post
Well tried the qtip with Liz oil base primer, still not covering well. This freaking blows! I am going to let everything dry for a few days and try again. Dabbing the primer is not working so I am going to roll it on this area to get a good amount of primer on the wall and then re-roll the entire wall. This make no sense, I painted the house 12 yrs ago including this bathroom. No silicone caulk used anywhere. Just a pita!
Titan, can you cut/scrape out the offending area with a utility knife? Or could you take a screwdriver & punch through it & then spackle? Again, this would just leave a very small footprint and you could literally just dob a small area & then you wouldn't have to repaint the whole wall.

It's amazing the stuff that gets on a wall and telegraphs through.

Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote