Help. Paint Disaster - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-14-2012, 10:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 778

Help. Paint disaster

I'm painting an entire house.

My adult daughter volunteered to do the guest room and was taking great pains to do it perfectly. The walls are 2 colors, aqua on top and a custom white on bottom then a chair rail will be installed. We have so many projects going that we were both excited about having one room done except for the trim. She even spent a lot of time doing the closets in a pale blue.

Tonight I heard sort of a scream.

Went into the guest room and she was upset to realize she painted (2 coats) the bottom part of the walls with the white semi gloss (bought for the trim) instead of the flat paint for the walls. I don't know why we didn't notice before. Now that we know, we see that the white is very shiny.

QUESTION: The flat white from SW is a primer and paint. Can she just put the flat paint on top of the semi gloss. Or, does it need a separate primer since it's glossy?

Do you think one coat of flat will be enough to cover the glossy paint?

The walls have that orange peel texture.

thanks

Advertisement

Last edited by Startingover; 06-14-2012 at 11:04 PM.
Startingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:16 PM   #2
jschaben

Rewards Points: 502

Help. Paint disaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startingover View Post
I'm painting an entire house.

My adult daughter volunteered to do the guest room and was taking great pains to do it perfectly. The walls are 2 colors, aqua on top and a custom white on bottom then a chair rail will be installed. We have so many projects going that we were both excited about having one room done except for the trim. She even spent a lot of time doing the closets in a pale blue.

Tonight I heard sort of a scream.

Went into the guest room and she was upset to realize she painted (2 coats) the bottom part of the walls with the white semi gloss (bought for the trim) instead of the flat paint for the walls. I don't know why we didn't notice before. Now that we know, we see that the white is very shiny.

QUESTION: The flat white from SW is a primer and paint. Can she just put the flat paint on top of the semi gloss. Or, does it need a separate primer since it's glossy?

Do you think one coat of flat will be enough to cover the glossy paint?

The walls have that orange peel texture.

thanks
I'll probably get contradicted here but I would just go ahead and repaint the flat over it. My reasoning is that the semi hasn't had near enough time to fully cure so I wouln't forsee any bonding issues.

Advertisement

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jschaben For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (06-15-2012), ltd (06-15-2012), Startingover (06-16-2012)
Old 06-14-2012, 11:41 PM   #3

Help. Paint disaster

jschaben, thanks that was the answer we were hoping to hear.

Since then, and since I have so many gallons of paint sitting all over, and many similar colors, I took a black marker and clearly wrote which room they are for and 'wall or trim'.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:58 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Help. Paint disaster

I concur with john! and your probably going to have some glossy parts showing thru because your wet flat paint is going to look just like your dried semi paint - so put lots of paint on the wall and be systematic about applying it to not have shiny holidays. It'd be a cool look to tape off some stripes or some other pattern to LET the semi show thru- and that way, she could say she meant to do that! Have fun with it and dont get any of that stuff on ya!
behumble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to behumble For This Useful Post:
Startingover (06-15-2012)
Old 06-15-2012, 06:14 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

Help. Paint disaster

Jschaben, You were right, allow me to contradict you.
I would definitely sand the surface, for at least two reasons. We can't be sure we'll get a good bond of flat over even partially cured semi. It's exposed now, why take the chance? An ample scuff on that amount of surface would take ten minutes with 120 paper. Secondly, a semi finish will create "slide", scuffing the surface will give the flat something to grab onto for coverage purposes, reducing streakiness. When I finish trim first and lap the trim enamel on to the walls, I sand the overlap prior to cutting the wall paint to the trim which gives much better, solid, cut in coverage.

As to the number of coats, two definitely. One will not do. Flat over semi will take much longer to dry than flat over flat. Do not overapply it to force one coat, remember the slide effect. Even if one coat seems like it covers, it will still reflect more light than had the mistake not been made and will appear to have a slight sheen. IMO, two coats, at least, will be required to mute the semi effect.

Startingover, don't sweat the mistake. Ironically, I had a conversation yesterday with a colleague of mine who told me his 15 yr experienced guy rolled semi on a ceiling until his brother/partner noticed it and stopped him. It's a boneheaded move, but it happens.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:23 AM   #6

Help. Paint disaster

jsheridan,

That makes sense. It was a very humbling experience for her.

We'd rather take longer and make sure it's done properly.

thanks.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:00 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 250

Help. Paint disaster

I agree with JSheridan. When in doubt, sand it a little to provide a profile. Your daughter's error is a common one. All paints look glossy when wet. Always read the labels!
Mr. Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Paint For This Useful Post:
Startingover (06-16-2012)
Old 06-15-2012, 06:07 PM   #8
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,214

Help. Paint disaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
Jschaben, You were right, allow me to contradict you.
I would definitely sand the surface, for at least two reasons. We can't be sure we'll get a good bond of flat over even partially cured semi. It's exposed now, why take the chance? An ample scuff on that amount of surface would take ten minutes with 120 paper. Secondly, a semi finish will create "slide", scuffing the surface will give the flat something to grab onto for coverage purposes, reducing streakiness. When I finish trim first and lap the trim enamel on to the walls, I sand the overlap prior to cutting the wall paint to the trim which gives much better, solid, cut in coverage.

As to the number of coats, two definitely. One will not do. Flat over semi will take much longer to dry than flat over flat. Do not overapply it to force one coat, remember the slide effect. Even if one coat seems like it covers, it will still reflect more light than had the mistake not been made and will appear to have a slight sheen. IMO, two coats, at least, will be required to mute the semi effect.

Startingover, don't sweat the mistake. Ironically, I had a conversation yesterday with a colleague of mine who told me his 15 yr experienced guy rolled semi on a ceiling until his brother/partner noticed it and stopped him. It's a boneheaded move, but it happens.

beat me too it
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
Startingover (06-16-2012)
Old 06-15-2012, 06:57 PM   #9
jschaben

Rewards Points: 502

Help. Paint disaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
beat me too it
That's why I come here

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:52 PM   #10

Help. Paint disaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
beat me too it
How, you're up earlier than I am?
Old 06-15-2012, 09:01 PM   #11

Help. Paint disaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschaben View Post
That's why I come here
That's why we're all here John, we all learn here. And if we're not learning new things, we're reinforcing what's known. The forum is a great place for all of us.
The Following User Says Thank You to jsheridan For This Useful Post:
behumble (06-15-2012)
Old 06-16-2012, 04:25 AM   #12
paper hanger and painter

Help. Paint disaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
How, you're up earlier than I am?

just missed it
Old 06-17-2012, 10:35 PM   #13

Help. Paint disaster

Darn. Just remembered tonight that daughter 'cleaned' her roller and paint brush (with the glossy paint) by running them over my BR walls, thinking it would help cover the previous color.

Now 2 walls in my BR have a very, very, thin coat of the glossy paint. I can still see much of the original wall thru the thin coat so hope I don't have to sand it.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:47 AM   #14
paper hanger and painter

Help. Paint disaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startingover View Post
Darn. Just remembered tonight that daughter 'cleaned' her roller and paint brush (with the glossy paint) by running them over my BR walls, thinking it would help cover the previous color.

Now 2 walls in my BR have a very, very, thin coat of the glossy paint. I can still see much of the original wall thru the thin coat so hope I don't have to sand it.

HAVE to? no. but it takes all of a minute to run some 100 or 120 grit over it. You are not looking to remove it, just break the sheen. Just do it right and be done with this .
Old 06-18-2012, 07:58 AM   #15

Help. Paint disaster

bookerc, you're lucky it turned out well, in the end.

chrisn, I'm just lucky to have realized, in time, the glossy was in my BR. You're right, I need to do it properly cause it will be much harder after furniture is moved in.

Advertisement