DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Painting (http://www.diychatroom.com/f4/)
-   -   Help. Paint disaster (http://www.diychatroom.com/f4/help-paint-disaster-147075/)

Startingover 06-14-2012 09:59 PM

Help. Paint disaster
 
I'm painting an entire house.

My adult daughter volunteered to do the guest room and was taking great pains to do it perfectly. The walls are 2 colors, aqua on top and a custom white on bottom then a chair rail will be installed. We have so many projects going that we were both excited about having one room done except for the trim. She even spent a lot of time doing the closets in a pale blue.

Tonight I heard sort of a scream.

Went into the guest room and she was upset to realize she painted (2 coats) the bottom part of the walls with the white semi gloss (bought for the trim) instead of the flat paint for the walls. I don't know why we didn't notice before. Now that we know, we see that the white is very shiny.

QUESTION: The flat white from SW is a primer and paint. Can she just put the flat paint on top of the semi gloss. Or, does it need a separate primer since it's glossy?

Do you think one coat of flat will be enough to cover the glossy paint?

The walls have that orange peel texture.

thanks

jschaben 06-14-2012 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Startingover (Post 943725)
I'm painting an entire house.

My adult daughter volunteered to do the guest room and was taking great pains to do it perfectly. The walls are 2 colors, aqua on top and a custom white on bottom then a chair rail will be installed. We have so many projects going that we were both excited about having one room done except for the trim. She even spent a lot of time doing the closets in a pale blue.

Tonight I heard sort of a scream.

Went into the guest room and she was upset to realize she painted (2 coats) the bottom part of the walls with the white semi gloss (bought for the trim) instead of the flat paint for the walls. I don't know why we didn't notice before. Now that we know, we see that the white is very shiny.

QUESTION: The flat white from SW is a primer and paint. Can she just put the flat paint on top of the semi gloss. Or, does it need a separate primer since it's glossy?

Do you think one coat of flat will be enough to cover the glossy paint?

The walls have that orange peel texture.

thanks

I'll probably get contradicted here but I would just go ahead and repaint the flat over it. My reasoning is that the semi hasn't had near enough time to fully cure so I wouln't forsee any bonding issues. :)

Startingover 06-14-2012 10:41 PM

jschaben, thanks that was the answer we were hoping to hear.

Since then, and since I have so many gallons of paint sitting all over, and many similar colors, I took a black marker and clearly wrote which room they are for and 'wall or trim'.

behumble 06-14-2012 10:58 PM

I concur with john! and your probably going to have some glossy parts showing thru because your wet flat paint is going to look just like your dried semi paint - so put lots of paint on the wall and be systematic about applying it to not have shiny holidays. It'd be a cool look to tape off some stripes or some other pattern to LET the semi show thru- and that way, she could say she meant to do that! Have fun with it and dont get any of that stuff on ya!

jsheridan 06-15-2012 05:14 AM

Jschaben, You were right, allow me to contradict you. :laughing:
I would definitely sand the surface, for at least two reasons. We can't be sure we'll get a good bond of flat over even partially cured semi. It's exposed now, why take the chance? An ample scuff on that amount of surface would take ten minutes with 120 paper. Secondly, a semi finish will create "slide", scuffing the surface will give the flat something to grab onto for coverage purposes, reducing streakiness. When I finish trim first and lap the trim enamel on to the walls, I sand the overlap prior to cutting the wall paint to the trim which gives much better, solid, cut in coverage.

As to the number of coats, two definitely. One will not do. Flat over semi will take much longer to dry than flat over flat. Do not overapply it to force one coat, remember the slide effect. Even if one coat seems like it covers, it will still reflect more light than had the mistake not been made and will appear to have a slight sheen. IMO, two coats, at least, will be required to mute the semi effect.

Startingover, don't sweat the mistake. Ironically, I had a conversation yesterday with a colleague of mine who told me his 15 yr experienced guy rolled semi on a ceiling until his brother/partner noticed it and stopped him. It's a boneheaded move, but it happens.

Startingover 06-15-2012 06:23 AM

jsheridan,

That makes sense. It was a very humbling experience for her.

We'd rather take longer and make sure it's done properly.

thanks.

Mr. Paint 06-15-2012 04:00 PM

I agree with JSheridan. When in doubt, sand it a little to provide a profile. Your daughter's error is a common one. All paints look glossy when wet. Always read the labels!

chrisn 06-15-2012 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsheridan (Post 943837)
Jschaben, You were right, allow me to contradict you. :laughing:
I would definitely sand the surface, for at least two reasons. We can't be sure we'll get a good bond of flat over even partially cured semi. It's exposed now, why take the chance? An ample scuff on that amount of surface would take ten minutes with 120 paper. Secondly, a semi finish will create "slide", scuffing the surface will give the flat something to grab onto for coverage purposes, reducing streakiness. When I finish trim first and lap the trim enamel on to the walls, I sand the overlap prior to cutting the wall paint to the trim which gives much better, solid, cut in coverage.

As to the number of coats, two definitely. One will not do. Flat over semi will take much longer to dry than flat over flat. Do not overapply it to force one coat, remember the slide effect. Even if one coat seems like it covers, it will still reflect more light than had the mistake not been made and will appear to have a slight sheen. IMO, two coats, at least, will be required to mute the semi effect.

Startingover, don't sweat the mistake. Ironically, I had a conversation yesterday with a colleague of mine who told me his 15 yr experienced guy rolled semi on a ceiling until his brother/partner noticed it and stopped him. It's a boneheaded move, but it happens.


beat me too it:laughing:

jschaben 06-15-2012 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisn (Post 944158)
beat me too it:laughing:

That's why I come here

jsheridan 06-15-2012 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisn (Post 944158)
beat me too it:laughing:

How, you're up earlier than I am? :laughing:

jsheridan 06-15-2012 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jschaben (Post 944192)
That's why I come here

That's why we're all here John, we all learn here. And if we're not learning new things, we're reinforcing what's known. The forum is a great place for all of us.

chrisn 06-16-2012 03:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsheridan (Post 944267)
How, you're up earlier than I am? :laughing:


just missed it:whistling2:

Startingover 06-17-2012 09:35 PM

Darn. Just remembered tonight that daughter 'cleaned' her roller and paint brush (with the glossy paint) by running them over my BR walls, thinking it would help cover the previous color.

Now 2 walls in my BR have a very, very, thin coat of the glossy paint. I can still see much of the original wall thru the thin coat so hope I don't have to sand it.

chrisn 06-18-2012 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Startingover (Post 945774)
Darn. Just remembered tonight that daughter 'cleaned' her roller and paint brush (with the glossy paint) by running them over my BR walls, thinking it would help cover the previous color.

Now 2 walls in my BR have a very, very, thin coat of the glossy paint. I can still see much of the original wall thru the thin coat so hope I don't have to sand it.


HAVE to? no. but it takes all of a minute to run some 100 or 120 grit over it. You are not looking to remove it, just break the sheen. Just do it right and be done with this .

Startingover 06-18-2012 06:58 AM

bookerc, you're lucky it turned out well, in the end.

chrisn, I'm just lucky to have realized, in time, the glossy was in my BR. You're right, I need to do it properly cause it will be much harder after furniture is moved in.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:17 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved