Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-16-2010, 03:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Help. Need advice on cold and painting

Hi, I need some help.

I am being required, per conditions of a loan, to paint a few small areas on the exterior of my brand new home. The problem is, that it is December and I live in Minnesota. My goal with this project is NOT to paint and expect it to be there in a year.
I only need it to stick for 2 weeks until the appraiser returns and then I no longer care. My plan is to repaint the entire home in the summer, anyway.

Any Suggestions?????

crisilee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 09:57 PM   #2
handpaintedbysteve.com

Rewards Points: 150

This project shouldn’t be a major problem. The only problem I can see is finding a manufacturer that still produces oil based coatings. I would say Sherwin Williams would be your best bet. If they do not have what you need locate an ambitious store manager who will make the effort to locate what you need from stores in different states throughout the country. I had a manager that did that for me or shall I say found material that I was in need of. The fact is that products can be found if an effort is made.

The temperature is not an issue. I have worked outside in minus two degree weather. You shouldn’t have difficulty finding a hungry unemployed painter these days. I would not settle for using the relatively new latex products formulated for 30 degree application, stay with the oil based products.

Steve
www.handpaintedbysteve.com

spraygunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 05:55 AM   #3
Doer of Many Things

Rewards Points: 516

All of the above information is incorrect. You are correct in assuming that this is a bad time of year to paint and expect it to last. Wait for the warmest day you can and put one of the low temp acrylics on. Most of the acrylics can go down to 35 now. This is basically saying, don't let the paint freeze before it dries. Oil will just cause problem recoating in good weather. Oil will not be as adversely affected by the temperature but it won't exactly dry for weeks either. You may even wish to do the application when you have direct sunlight on the area. This isn't generally recommended but in these temps you may have a better chance of it drying before it freezes.
poppameth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 06:34 AM   #4
40+yrs Paint Trades

Rewards Points: 75

I agree with using lo temp acrylic instead of oil. You're going to have to repaint next spring but the oil could cause more headaches than it's worth. Have the paint store make a perfect color match to the existing and have at it.

If it's purely for show you MIGHT try having the paint store try to mix the color in Bullseye shellac (also known as BIN). It's alcohol based and dries in 15 minutes!
hoz49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 09:56 AM   #5
handpaintedbysteve.com

Hey crisilee,

Oh to be young again, remembering those days of sunshine and birds singing and the fun filled days of 32 degrees and the joy of painting outside. However there are those of us who only wished for 32 degree days and who’s skin is a little more leathery from the cold sub zero days we had to finish that exterior painting because the mortgage company and inspectors didn’t understand not so perfect working conditions. I guess those conditions can’t be visualized by the younger painters of today’s market. I wonder what my father would have said about not painting the exteriors of the new homes he had to finish because 32 degree days were still a month or two off. No, experience tells me that painting in the cold winters of Michigan is very similar to that of Minnesota and if you’ve never been here and worked here, the painters of the more pleasant geographical locations of this country cannot offer credible solutions to our environment.

Painting exteriors in the winter is not recommended, however finishing a project in the cold dead of winter to meet a deadline is not a problem only an inconvenience. Locate an experienced painter in you area who grew up in construction in the cold, and you’ll have your project finished with no future difficulties.

Best of luck from an old experienced painter.

Steve
www.handpaintedbysteve.com
Old 12-17-2010, 11:50 AM   #6
Painting Company, NY

Rewards Points: 516

I would try to catch a few days at least above 45degrees faranheight. I would not use an oil base in the cold as it will not dry for weeks and it dosnt offer the flexibility of a quality 100% acrylic paint. I've painted in the cold before. A quality 100% acrylic paint is your best choice. Also you will only have a few hours during the day that you can really paint. you don't want to paint to early or to late in the day when its cold out.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 12:04 PM   #7
40+yrs Paint Trades

Hehehehe, I'm no cub. I started painting in 1973, and I've used my share of oils, epoxy, lacquers, acrylics. I remember more than once scraping ice off steel in order to "make Christmas". I also remember having to go back in the spring to fix the flub ups.

Except for emergencies, I started calling a halt on exterior painting by October 30th many years ago and I haven't had any regrets.
hoz49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 01:24 PM   #8
handpaintedbysteve.com

I know you've been around a while hoz. I wasn't referring to you. You just got caught in the line of fire. Sorry

Steve

Last edited by spraygunn; 12-17-2010 at 01:28 PM.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:18 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,034

What exactly are you painting on the house anyways? Are there area's of bare wood?
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 09:06 PM   #10
Sprayboy-services.com

When the temps get below 50F I am done for the season. I know some guys that will shoot Superpaint at 35F but it's to touchy for me. I have hand-brushed some trim at those temps but that's it.
Sprayboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 09:09 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,150

Criselee, if these are areas you could possibly tarp and pump heat into, I think it can be done. I have used large plastic tarps, secured them to the house and then pumped in heat from a turbo kerosene heater......not toasty by any means, but you can get temps under the tarp up into the 50's. Since you only have a few areas to do and THEY HAVE TO BE DONE, this may be an option worth looking into.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:15 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
Criselee, if these are areas you could possibly tarp and pump heat into, I think it can be done. I have used large plastic tarps, secured them to the house and then pumped in heat from a turbo kerosene heater......not toasty by any means, but you can get temps under the tarp up into the 50's. Since you only have a few areas to do and THEY HAVE TO BE DONE, this may be an option worth looking into.
I agree, the best way to fix the problem. I think any Sherwin Williams exterior latex paint has the "low temp 35 technology," now. The oil base would scare me because of the dry time in the cold plus the dropping temps at night. And under the tarp with the heat on use a fan to circulate, water bourne coverings dry with air movement.

jbrick28 is offline   Reply With Quote