Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-09-2010, 02:47 PM   #1

Share |
Unhappy

HELP ME PLEASE.my gloss paint hasn't dried yet!!!!

I've not long moved into my new house and ive started decorating. The house is old and hasnt been decorated for years either so its really old paint work too. Ive started on the glossing i sandpapered the wood down and then painted the gloss on but some of the doorways that i did 2 days ago still havent dried yet.So i tried sandpapering it back down and because it wasnt dry that didnt really work so then i got a scraper and started scrapping some of the area off.
Can someone please help me?? Why has this happened for and what have i done wrong??
Ive done gloss painting loads of times before in the past and done the same as ive done in my new house but never had this problem before so im really stuck. PLEASEE HELP ME.

tasha83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 04:10 PM   #2

What kind of paint did you use? Get a box fan or 3 and get some sir circulating.

Matthewt1970 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matthewt1970 For This Useful Post:
tasha83 (06-11-2010)
Old 06-09-2010, 04:45 PM   #3

Where are you located ?
Is it humid ?
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scuba_Dave For This Useful Post:
tasha83 (06-11-2010)
Old 06-10-2010, 10:29 AM   #4

How thick was it put on?
gmhammes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gmhammes For This Useful Post:
tasha83 (06-11-2010)
Old 06-11-2010, 05:38 PM   #5

Hi,
Im from the West Midlands in the UK, its not been that hot here but the doorway which ive done (ive only done the one cause i carried on with my skirting boards, which im glad i didnt do the rest of the doorways after whats happened ) is in the down stairs hall way and of a night i have had the heating on. Would that make a difference to it drying??
I'd only put one coat on and i didnt put it on that thick, well i dont think i did!! But i used the same paint on my skirting boards and they seem to be fine. So any one have any ideas??? please!!
I was also wondering now if to undercoat the door frames that ive not glossed yet to see if that would make a difference to the ones that im going to paint and as for my problem one get the gloss off that ive painted on, sandpaper it down then undercoat it as its still tacky cause if i push my finger on it the paint smuggest.
Thank you all for helping me. I hope this extra information will help??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthewt1970 View Post
What kind of paint did you use? Get a box fan or 3 and get some sir circulating.
Hi, Im not sure what you mean by what type of paint have i used?? but ive used just normal exterior and interior gloss. Does it make a differences that its interior and exterior?? Ive just replied to the other people who have helped me and ive put a bit more information on there if that would help you to help me a bit more??? Thank you for your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhammes View Post
How thick was it put on?
Hi, i just put on my reply that i havent put the gloss on that thick. But just thinking about it how thick should it be?? as i painted a coat on as normal, but as id finished painting the first coat on the door frame i didnt stop painting and wait for it to dry i just carried on and painted over the first coat that id painted on already. So have i made a mistake there, by not waiting for the first coat to dry for a few hours before giving the 2nd coat??
I did try sandpapering it but cause it was wet it didnt work so i use a wallpaper scraper on it. thank you.
tasha83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:40 PM   #6

I meant to ask if it was latex or oil based. Strange that it is still tacky days later. Maybe the paint wasn't mixed well and the stuff you put on the doorway was more oily.
Matthewt1970 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:58 AM   #7

If I read your last update correctly, you did not allow the first coat to dry prior to putting on the second coat. BIG mistake. Under normal conditions, gloss paint takes a LONG time to thoroughly dry/cure--like 3 weeks or so before it is no longer tacky. With your circumstance, I would wait a couple of weeks to see if things get better---if so, wait another couple of weeks. If the tackiness really bugs you, especially when you close the door (don't do this unless you have to; keep the doors "open"), lightly dust the contact points of the door to the door jam with baby powder--that will take care of the sticking). Warm/hot air circulation will speed up the curing/drying time--if you merely circulate cold air, that will not do much good.
"When all else fails, read the directions."

GeneL is offline   Reply With Quote