Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-27-2013, 03:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Help me pick my next paints.

Here's the deal... I'm a bit picky when it comes to paint and am partial to Benjamin Moore. I've tried other cheaper paints like Behr, Valspar, American traditions and haven't been pleased with the results or how they hold up over the long run. The only exceptions were an American Traditions Ceiling Paint I got from Lowe's that was very flat and has held up well. Also Zinsser products have been good. Used various primers and their Perma-White in eggshell before other paints started incorporating mold & mildew resistant additives.

I need to find new paint for ceilings, walls and trim.

Walls
---------

I like a low sheen paint on walls. My favorite paint was BM's Regal before they came out with the new Gennex colorant system. Always bought it from the same hardware store where I shopped regularly and owner would give me a discount on paint so the extra cost wasn't too bad.

I've used Aura Matte and Aura Bath & Spa Matte in a couple of small rooms and it really is a great paint. Problem is it's about 2x as much per gallon than I used to pay for the Regal and the old store closed. I don't have much of a history with the other local BM store. If I could get him to give me a bit of a break on the price with a big order I'll probably go with Aura.

I haven't tried the new Regal Select that uses the new colorants. If I was happy with the old Regal, will I like the new Regal Select?

Ceilings
------------

I always used to use the same type of paint on the ceilings as I did on the walls until I learned about very low sheen ceiling paints. I don't have stains on the ceilings but there is some not so great patches that could benefit from the low sheen so that's my main concern.

I've heard good things about BM's 508 Waterborne Ceiling Paint and will probably give it a try. Price isn't too bad. Zinsser also has a ceiling paint but I don't know much about it. Would trust a zinsser product though.

If Zinsser Ceiling Paint is as flat or flatter than BM 508 I might go with that because it's cheaper. Welcome to other recommendations on white ceiling paint that has a very low sheen.

Trim
---------

In the past I've used Regal semigloss and BM Waterborne Satin Impervo and liked both. Haven't tried the newer BM paints. I hear good things about the Ber semi gloss and great things about Aura semi. I don't mind spending more on trim paint since I won't need more than a gallon but wouldn't mind spending less if I can still get good results. Any money I save on trim and ceiling helps make going with Aura for walls easier.

Any recommendations here? Want something that applies well and can hold up to being banged into by the vacuum cleaner.

TomBuildsStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 04:11 PM   #2
registered

Rewards Points: 508

All my walls and ceilings are sw superpaint. Except for my bathrooms. Went with zinsser permawhite interior mold and mildew proof in eggshell. Finally all my trim is stained.

Except living room went with cashmere.

sw proclassic is good trim paint.

Last edited by 747; 10-27-2013 at 04:13 PM.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 747 For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (10-27-2013)
Old 10-27-2013, 04:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747 View Post
All my walls and ceilings are sw superpaint. Except for my bathrooms. Went with zinsser permawhite interior mold and mildew proof in eggshell. Finally all my trim is stained.

Except living room went with cashmere.

sw proclassic is good trim paint.
Thank you for the input. I'm sure SW paint is good but BM is what I'm used to and they're closer and more of them in my area so I'd prefer to stick to them.
Old 10-27-2013, 04:55 PM   #4
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,088

I don't understand, if you like what you have ben using, why change??????????
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (10-27-2013)
Old 10-27-2013, 05:13 PM   #5

The BM 508 is great stuff, just pricey for a ceiling paint. Regal select without a doubt is a good option. If you used SW i would say try superpaint the price is better and its a good option. Advance is my favorite enamel for trim and cabinets.
vividpainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 05:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by vividpainting View Post
The BM 508 is great stuff, just pricey for a ceiling paint. Regal select without a doubt is a good option. If you used SW i would say try superpaint the price is better and its a good option. Advance is my favorite enamel for trim and cabinets.
Thanks. Totally forgot about Advance! I read a lot of good things about it.

Regarding wall paint... This is my main concern I'm hoping you can answer. I liked the old Regal. The couple of times I used Aura it was the best paint job I've done. If I use the new Regal Select do you think there's a good chance I will be at least as happy as I was with the old Regal and not disappointed I didn't choose Aura? I don't plan on using very dark colors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
I don't understand, if you like what you have ben using, why change??????????
I think the new paint store can mix both the new and old colorants and I think I saw cans of the old Regal there but I'd like to start using the new Gennex colorants because they're zero VOC and have other benefits see http://www.paintgurus.com/2013/06/ho...ime-and-money/

All the new lines from BM have me confused.

I'd love to use Aura but I am going to painting a few large rooms and when I added it all up.. Ouch!
Old 10-27-2013, 06:04 PM   #7

I see no reason why you would be dissapointed with select, its good stuff. With select remember the colorants are zero voc, the paint is low voc. i believe, not 100%.
vividpainting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vividpainting For This Useful Post:
TomBuildsStuff (10-28-2013)
Old 10-27-2013, 08:44 PM   #8
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

Regal select matte is an excellent paint.
"Ben " is a great paint
Ultra spec is a good budget paint.
There you go.

TomBuildsStuff (10-28-2013)