Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-09-2013, 02:48 PM   #1

Share |

Help me finish a cutting/sewing table

Hey guys,

Just registered looking for some advice. I will be completing a cutting/sewing table soon for the lady in charge. I need some help picking paint to finish it with. She is looking for something very smooth and durable. The table wont be set up permanently and it is big and heavy so it will probably be dragged around on the carpet and occasionally scuffed in the process of moving it. So needless to say the paint needs to hold up. So help me pick some paint and primer (if needed). The table is maple ply with poplar edge banding.

What would you use? I am not sure if she will want to paint it white or add some color. So can your suggested products be colored?

Thanks.

Cory
A painting novice

InsecureRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:04 PM   #2

What part of the country are you in? VOC regs will probably make a difference in what is available to you, and they vary by region.

clambake6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:09 PM   #3

Fort Worth Texas
Old 04-09-2013, 05:11 PM   #4
Rubbin walls since'79

Is it new or already finished, and you are painting it?
If new- I like Primecoat2 ( from HD) for a new wood primer,sand smooth , and finish with Ben Moore Advance waterborne Alkyd- either in satin or semi.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:38 PM   #5

I will be wrapping up the build soon so it is new and unfinished. Thanks for the suggestion. Anyone else have some recommended products that they like?
Old 04-10-2013, 03:56 AM   #6
paper hanger and painter

brush said it all
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:38 AM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Lime wax would give it a nice whitewashed look. The fabric moving over it would serve to keep it buffed.

Otherwise sure you want to paint and not stain and poly it if it is maple and birch? Then some bowling alley wax?

Going to another extreme, if she is going to be cutting it up and nicking it some sort of epoxy reinforced floor paint like Ben Moores or floor poly might hold up better but the products recommended should be fine. What surfaces do fabric shops have on theirs? Seems like the constant abrasion of some fabric could dull a finish over time but I guess you can just recoat it.

Sounds like you do not want to add more weight but you could cut a piece of glass or lexan for the top. That self-sealing material like some cutting boards are made of might be nice and it comes in colors. I forget, it has been so many years, but my drawing table used to have a self-sealing rubberized material ages ago as well. You just double face taped the edges it replaced it when you had carved it up enough with exacto knives. Non-descript green one side and beige the other.

Concept of dragging something heavy on carpet scares me a bit. Hope the installers stretch the carpet probably or prepare yourself for a frightening rippppppp sound. Are wheels, rollers or those moving discs in its future?

Last edited by user1007; 04-10-2013 at 09:44 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:41 AM   #8

I might not have mentioned but there will be no cutting on the actual table, the cutting will be done on one of those green cutting mats. She wants a solid color paint so as you know she gets what she wants . Stain and clear is out of the question for reasons already mentioned. Thanks for the suggestions everyone. There are so many products to choose from.