Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-26-2008, 10:57 AM   #1

Share |

Help me choose an interior paint

New to the forum, looking for opinions. First off, I am a complete DIYer (and a beginner at that). That said, I like to look for quality when I can. Having visited the local HD (and had the Behr paint immediately pushed on me), I decided to do research and see if there was something better out there.

Anyway, I walked into a paint store and looked at many of the usual suspects (Pratt and Lambert, Pittsburg, Ben Moore). One of the first things the guy at the store told me was that someone like me would not really be able to tell that much of a difference between a medium grade paint and the really really high end stuff. He thought that for the money, the Pratt and Lambert paints were best. Not necessarily better than say Ben Moore, but that Ben Moore was a bit overpriced.

In the Pratt and Lambert paint, he recommened their Gold Line (about $20/gallon). He said if I really wanted something high quality then do the Accolade (about $40/gallon). He also mentioned a something with enamel (priced somewhere in between).

So, is the P&L Gold line basically the same as something like Behr? Should I just go with Behr then since it is more accessible (distance, store hours, etc.)? I noticed on the P&L website, that the gold line in the the 'professional' section and the accolade in the in homeowner section; what's the difference? Is it really worth it for someone like me to go with the Accolade? Any other opinions?

Oh, and here is the background. I live in Southern CA and will be painting four bedrooms, the living room, dining room, and family room in a house we just bought. Most rooms will be painted light or subtle shades I think. We have a five and a two year old. Thanks.

droopdog7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 03:50 PM   #2

Stick with the guy in the paint store. He knows far more about what he is talking about. The Pratt and Lambert is fine, although over the years, their quality level has gone down a bit. PPG and Benjamin Moore both make really nice cans of paint, but they are generally a little bit more. I would think the Regal line from Benjamin Moore or Manor Hall from PPG would be perfect for you. I know its probably a couple bucks more, but over the life of the job an extra 5-10 a gallon will be worth it. It will be an easier job for you, and it will probably stand up better than the accolade, and certainly the behr.

As for the other question, sometimes paint stores sell DIYers commercial paint because they think that you will walk out and go to Home Depot because of the price. While commercial paints would likely be fine, they really aren't meant to be used in residential homes and are optimized for things like spraying. Up to you of course!

DIYHelper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 05:47 PM   #3
paper hanger and painter

Listen to DIYHelper, his post is right on
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 06:25 PM   #4
Tired, Cold, and Damp

^^^
Ayup
Ditto
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 02:43 AM   #5

I third the motion.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 06:01 AM   #6

Since I sell P&L I'll chime in. Gold is great stuff, but I find it recommended far too often by the people I work with. If you are doing a light color PHG would be fine. Personally I'd step up to Red Seal, which is the equivalent of BM Regal. Accolade is overkill for most people but it will hold up better than any other product mentioned thus far. Regal is not on par with Accolade. Accolade is the same grade as SW Duration. The closest equivalent in the BM line is Aura, though they aren't really the same type of products. And I agree with the salesperson you are talking to. P&L is just as good as BM from what I've seen myself and been told by BM customers that have tried P&L. BM is a bit over priced for what you get. I'm assuming they must have had some recent price changes since I'm getting an awful lot of BM customers lately looking at P&L.
Old 09-27-2008, 06:56 PM   #7

Actually, by all accounts Accolade, Regal, and Manor Hall, and Duration Home are on par due to the fact that they are all 100% Acrylic. Red Seal is closer to the other vinyl acrylic products by the other companies like Wallhide by PPG or Super Spec from BM. And you have to watch the Sherwin Williams paints because they are pretty well known for degrading their paints as they go along. Manor Hall Timeless, which was previously unmentioned, is probably the closest thing to Aura.
Old 09-27-2008, 07:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by droopdog7 View Post
New to the forum, looking for opinions. First off, I am a complete DIYer (and a beginner at that). That said, I like to look for quality when I can. Having visited the local HD (and had the Behr paint immediately pushed on me), I decided to do research and see if there was something better out there.

Anyway, I walked into a paint store and looked at many of the usual suspects (Pratt and Lambert, Pittsburg, Ben Moore). One of the first things the guy at the store told me was that someone like me would not really be able to tell that much of a difference between a medium grade paint and the really really high end stuff. He thought that for the money, the Pratt and Lambert paints were best. Not necessarily better than say Ben Moore, but that Ben Moore was a bit overpriced.

In the Pratt and Lambert paint, he recommened their Gold Line (about $20/gallon). He said if I really wanted something high quality then do the Accolade (about $40/gallon). He also mentioned a something with enamel (priced somewhere in between).

So, is the P&L Gold line basically the same as something like Behr? Should I just go with Behr then since it is more accessible (distance, store hours, etc.)? I noticed on the P&L website, that the gold line in the the 'professional' section and the accolade in the in homeowner section; what's the difference? Is it really worth it for someone like me to go with the Accolade? Any other opinions?

Oh, and here is the background. I live in Southern CA and will be painting four bedrooms, the living room, dining room, and family room in a house we just bought. Most rooms will be painted light or subtle shades I think. We have a five and a two year old. Thanks.
I discovered Home Depot actually is a better paint and price. It is rated or was in the consumer reports as the top paint(best buy) for interior paint. Their whites are particularly superior because they add a fair amount of titanium to the formula, which gives it a better hide and stronger pigment.
RemodelMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 07:21 PM   #9

Ya, it is complete mystery why Behr was rated number 1. Better price, not a better paint.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 07:39 PM   #10
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemodelMan View Post
I discovered Home Depot actually is a better paint and price. It is rated or was in the consumer reports as the top paint(best buy) for interior paint. Their whites are particularly superior because they add a fair amount of titanium to the formula, which gives it a better hide and stronger pigment.
That stuff is particularly superior crap
That's about it though, seriously
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 08:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemodelMan View Post
This is something they put in the commercial to fool consumers. A whiter base doesn't really matter much when you go ahead and tint it to a color anyway. There is also such thing as diminishing returns when it comes to adding titanium dioxide, so more doesn't always mean better.

Lastly, the consumer reports is not a good guage of performance because their test methods are questionable at best, and on top of that, none of the tests are related to actually applying the paint. And, on top of that, its not even the best buy anymore. Its been replaced.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:20 AM   #12

Yeah, we know about the CR reports of Behr as the #1 interior paint. The only explanation we can come up with is that CR either doesn't properly test the paint or they use price as a something to determine ranking.

It really is junk. You can spend the same amount of money on, say, SWP ProMar 200, and get a much better paint.

To the OP, FYI, P&L is owned by Sherwin Williams...

DIYHelper, I don't know what you are talking about with the SWP paints "degrading as they go along"... every paint company has had to reformulate over time to account for new VOC laws, but I can't say I've heard anything about them degrading their paints beyond that.

SirWired
sirwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 12:11 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYHelper View Post
Actually, by all accounts Accolade, Regal, and Manor Hall, and Duration Home are on par due to the fact that they are all 100% Acrylic. Red Seal is closer to the other vinyl acrylic products by the other companies like Wallhide by PPG or Super Spec from BM. And you have to watch the Sherwin Williams paints because they are pretty well known for degrading their paints as they go along. Manor Hall Timeless, which was previously unmentioned, is probably the closest thing to Aura.
Just because they recently made Regal 100% acrylic doesn't automatically put it on par with the others mentioned. It may be 100% acrylic but that has decreased its hide according to the painters I've talked to about it. Most frequent complaint I hear out of Regal is that it just doesn't cover like it use to. Personally I used regal several years ago and didn't care much for it then. I like Red Seal, but it still isn't my favorite paint. Accolade is fine inside. Their exterior product is hell to work with.