Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-03-2012, 12:16 PM   #1
Rav

Share |
Exclamation

Help -- I may have bought the wrong paint, need advice

I'm in the process of refinishing a wood panel door. I cleaned, repaired, sanded, and primed with X-I-M UMA. Today I went to buy the paint. I had been planning on getting Duron Signature Select interior acrylic semi-gloss. However, they said they only sold it in gallons, and I only needed a quart. I let the guy talk me into getting SW Duration Home. After I got home I read some of the discussion on here about Duration, and a fair amount of it seemed negative (needs to go on thick, drys very fast, streaking, etc.).

I'd rather lose $17 on the Duration and spend too much getting more Signature Select than I need, rather than end up with an inferior job, or have a difficult time applying it. Not after all the work I've done (with the help of many on this site).

I'd appreciate your input. Thanks.
Rav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:15 PM   #2
Painting Company, NY

Only speaking for myself and our employees, we have never had a problem with Duration interior or exterior paint. We actually just painted the interior of some metal doors yesterday with Duration interior semi-gloss with great results.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:20 PM   #3
Rubbin walls since'79

If it were me I'd use a paint for trim, not walls. In the SW line that would be ProClassic Waterborne- semi gloss.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:31 PM   #4
Paint Pro

duaration exterior and duration home are excellent products. and the paint store STANDS BEHIND THEM! pretty much a satisfaction guarantee. .
Expert Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:59 PM   #5
paper hanger and painter

I'm with brush, but the Duration will be fine

Is it semi gloss?

chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:02 PM   #6
Rav

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
I'm with brush, but the Duration will be fine

Is it semi gloss?
Yup -- semi-gloss.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:13 PM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by housepaintingny View Post
Only speaking for myself and our employees, we have never had a problem with Duration interior or exterior paint. We actually just painted the interior of some metal doors yesterday with Duration interior semi-gloss with great results.
It would not be my first pick but I wouldn't worry if you have it. I have never had problems with it. Might add some Floetrol and like others I would have picked a trim paint.

If you are really worried, donate it to a Habitat ReStore and add the amount to your tax deductions. Or see if the store will take it back as a mis-tint. I suspect they will if you have bought a lot from them.

Last edited by user1007; 08-03-2012 at 08:15 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:52 PM   #8
Rav

Thanks for the responses, all. My question at this point is, what makes a trim paint a trim paint? I mean, I assumed that being semi-gloss, this was a trim paint, but it sounds like some of you consider it to be more of a wall paint (which I had thought was what flat/satin was for). Why is SW Duration Home semi-gloss more a "wall" paint and something like Duron Signature Select interior acrylic semi-gloss more a "trim" paint? Thanks.
Old 08-04-2012, 05:50 AM   #9
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rav View Post
Thanks for the responses, all. My question at this point is, what makes a trim paint a trim paint? I mean, I assumed that being semi-gloss, this was a trim paint, but it sounds like some of you consider it to be more of a wall paint (which I had thought was what flat/satin was for). Why is SW Duration Home semi-gloss more a "wall" paint and something like Duron Signature Select interior acrylic semi-gloss more a "trim" paint? Thanks.

Mr Rick?

chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 04:59 PM   #10
Rav

To make a long story short, after weighing the responses I got, I decided to be cautious and get and use the Duron Signature Select paint, which I got a good price on. I'm glad I did. It went on very smoothly and it looks very good. That's not to say the SW Duration wouldn't have worked but I didn't want to take a chance. At any rate, after a second coat I think I will be happy with how the door turns out. Thanks for everyone's help.

Tags
duration, interior, refinishing, select, signature