Help! I Got What I Paid For! - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-03-2009, 11:32 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Help! I got what I paid for!

OK,so I love my family and they want to help for free,but they aren't the most knowledgeable people about. My brother "helped" paint my sons room when I moved to a new house and he "primed' the walls using white ceiling paint. He then proceeded to "cover" the ceiling paint on the walls with the red that I picked out. If you've got a poor imagination,you can still imagine what 2 coats of red looks like now. LOTS of roller marks and bleed through. My question is,what should I do? Do I re-prime with a real primer before i attempt another coat of red? If so,is there a particular kind of primer I should use? What kind of paint should I use now? Any suggestions would be appreciated,thanks.

Advertisement

xrayben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 01:56 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

there are two ways to go you can eitherreprime with a dark grey paint or you can go to glidden/ici/color your world and get the color you want mixed in a red base this paint is a premixed red that can be tinted to other shades it will cover white in 2 coats good luck

Advertisement

bb45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 05:33 PM   #3
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

At this point, just start painting with a real good deep color paint, like Ben Moore's Aura or Sherwin Willams Deep Colors/Accents
Two coats, properly applied with quality tools oughta do it
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 11:04 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

I'd re-prime with a tinted red prime base and then put 2 coats of your preferred red color on.

Red is a hard color to paint and get blended.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:19 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

My husband painted a room in our house many years ago with a cranberry colour.

We primed the walls with white and it took 7, yes 7 coats before I was able to achieve the look of the colour.

A primer that is tinted is a good idea, but I really think that you need more than two coats of paint.

Red, and any colour in the red family is really difficult to achieve. I don't think I will ever do it again.
yummy mummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 05:28 AM   #6
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,240

A primer that is tinted is a good idea, but I really think that you need more than two coats of paint.

If you tint your primer grey,2 coats of any red will cover( at least any I have applied)

As Slick said"Two coats, properly applied with quality tools oughta do it"

There you go
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 07:50 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 150

The thing about red is most of them are mixed with a clear base so it's like applying layers of tinted celephane on the walls. If you already have an uneven job, it will just stay uneven although the colour will be deeper as you apply more coats. Reds (and some yellows) are unlike most other colours, dark or light, because of that clear base.

I can tell you Ralph Lauren reds are horrible. I did a room that took 3 coats of tinted primer and 5 coats of paint to get the tone of the paint chip. What a total waste of money and a lot of work. Not impressed but live and learn. Clear base is a total pain.

There are some reds made by some companies that don't use that clear base though. If I were you, that is what I'd be out looking for. You are going to have to ask about the specific colour you want because they vary by company. Here (in Canada) we have a couple of companies that use a clay base. It's a really solid colour base and I've used it without primer, dark colour over light, and one coat pretty much covered with the second just to use up the can and enrich the colour a bit. Great stuff. The clay based I used is called Farrow & Ball from England. Not sure if you have it where you are or not, but you could get some really solid coverage with that stuff even in reds. You could check the new Benjamin Moore line as it's supposed to be a different base (supposedly imitating the F&B) but I am just guessing there as I haven't tried it yet.

If you do have to use a clear base, make sure you do a tinted primer. Grey is recommended and I can tell you I had red tint which turned out more pink so I would go with grey now just to get a good solid base colour.
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 08:33 AM   #8
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

An important thing to consider. This was never primed. Ceiling paint or any paint is not a primer. The primer seals the surface but it chemically adheres to the top coat. The two together create a proper paint "system" Top coats will still work with the primer several times. But not forever. When we do work where the history is unkown we always prime first. Also in your case sand with a pole sander first to remove the ridges left from the poor rolling job already done and the dust bunnies and such left from a non-professional painter attempt this work
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 12:18 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 75

I just had a similar issue not to long ago involving PVA and crappy Valspar paint... the easy fix: Got Zinnser Gardz (HD has it in the wallpaper section), tinted SW Preprite 200 primer and SW Duration in red. One coat of Gardz (to penetrate and deal with the never having been primed ceiling paint debacle. Stuff is incredible.), one coat of 200 primer (to even the base color out) and two coats of Duration and it looks quite excellent. Best looking room in the house. I really can't say enough good about the Duration reds. Yes, you will pay a bit for this fix, but the time savings of not having to redo will be worth it.

As for roller marks... are they marks from poor blending or actual ridges from uneven application? The former, forget it and do what I said above. The latter, have fun sanding.

Advertisement

Last edited by Bubbagump; 01-06-2009 at 12:28 PM.
Bubbagump is offline   Reply With Quote