DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Painting (
-   -   Help getting paint off block wall (

butchbs1985 06-07-2011 06:56 PM

Help getting paint off block wall
The basement in my house was getting a small bit of water in one corner after this years heavy rains. (It only was visible after a really heavy storm). I removed the drywall since I already planned to and found much mildew and a little bit of mold in that corner. That said, I need to strip the paint off of the block and get some good waterproofing on the interior. The person who was here before I bought the house had a sump put in and they put what appears to be drylok on everything (even the floor) at that time but did an especially poor job on the walls.

My solution: I bought a chemical stripper (citristrip) from Home Depot and went to town.

My problem: While that stripper works great for the clean blocks (normal cinder block), there are three other things that make up this wall:
1. Weird block of some kind. this has the texture of corrugated cardboard that has been ripped in half. (no way to get a scraper in there)
2. It looks like whoever poorly applied Drylok also applied some patch cement or mortar to the wall? This is so rough I can't scrape the paint off even with much patience.
4. Mortar joints. Nuff said.

Solutions that I've thought of and why I'm not satisfied:
1. Pressure washer. Even if I use a plastic sheet to isolate the area where I'm working to protect the rest of the basement, how do I direct the water to a floor drain? It's doesn't get there very well when water was getting in
2. Drill with wire brush. HD sells a product called 'Rapid Strip' which is just a 4" wire brush. I wonder how many of these I'd wear out in the process of stripping a wall. Also, there's old paint under the Drylok that they painted on which I can only assume has lead in it so I'm not big on the idea of paint dust (My wife's pregnant so I need minimal impact).
3. Bead blaster / Sand blaster??? Never used one, never seen one, but a guy at work says they make bead blasters that are pretty much self contained and could be used on the wall. Anyone have any info on this?

If you've read this far, :thumbup: thank you for the attention. Any and all suggestions are appreciated as well as answers to the several aforementioned questions.

Thanks again!!

butchbs1985 06-07-2011 07:00 PM

I also should have posted that if you have alternate solutions for waterproofing the wall, I'm open to them too.

A thought I had was tar like they use on the outside of a house..... Any thoughts? I'm just going to put insulation / framing / pegboard in front of it so it doesn't necessarily need to be pretty.

Gymschu 06-07-2011 07:54 PM

The corrugated stuff sounds like a clay product that was used quite a bit in the 50's and 60's. It was fired in a kiln and should have a hard/glossy ceramic type finish to it. Paint doesn't stick to that stuff very well so it shouldn't be too hard to get the paint off. Your best bet is to sand blast or corn cob blast or even walnut shell blast the walls. That should take off most of the paint. That's a just a few things that come to mind right now........

butchbs1985 06-07-2011 08:05 PM

Should I be able to get a blaster from a local rental place? I'll call around tomorrow to find out. Would they likely have the media as well? If not, any ideas on where to get it?

Gymschu 06-09-2011 07:20 PM


Originally Posted by butchbs1985 (Post 662993)
Should I be able to get a blaster from a local rental place? I'll call around tomorrow to find out. Would they likely have the media as well? If not, any ideas on where to get it?

Yes & Yes to both questions.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:21 AM.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.