Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-30-2010, 06:21 PM   #1

Share |

HELP!! Extremely difficult Wallpaper

I just bought a house and started doing some work on it. The entire house has painted over wall paper. I can tell because every 18" or so I can see a vertical seam. To give some background on what I'm dealing with the wallpaper is probably about 60yrs old, (the age of the house) and I really have no idea what kind it is. it just flakes off in small pieces and takes the paper from the drywall with it. I have been trying to get it off and nothing seems to be working. I have used a steamer, I tried using a scoring tool and the steamer, I used the piranha wall paper removal kit (scoring tool, scraper, and removal chemical), I used the paper tiger scoring tool with the DIF (i think that's the brand) removal chemicals, I have used fabric softener cut with water. Nothing seems to work. Most areas none of these options work and even when they do the dry wall gets destroyed. The paper on the dry wall comes off with the wallpaper. I have been keeping it saturated and left the chemical on for 20 min or so. I got to a point where I was getting it off and even though the top layer of dry wall was coming off with it. I thought I would be able to sand the remaining paper (possibly called the backing) I tried a sample area where the top layer of paper from the dry wall was removed and I sanded down the paper left behind. I painted a small 1' square with a latex primer and gave it 3 coats allowing each one to dry. It looked great while I was putting it on but just before I left for the day I noticed that there were still a bunch of small indentations I could see. Maybe it was just the lighting but it still looked awful. I have been thinking about buying this http://www.simplestrip.com/ (Simple Strip, from Wallwik). They claim it works really well but at this point I'm extremely skeptical. everything I do either doesn't take off the wall paper or destroyed the dry wall. I really don't want to do it but I'm about to gut the place and do all new drywall. Any suggestions or help with this would be greatly appreciated!!!

accordfivespd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:52 PM   #2

The simplestrip you linked to probably won't help. All that does is cover the paper so it stays wet longer. Painted wallpaper is tough. Are your scoring tools getting all the way down to the drywall and making holes noi more that 1/8" apart?

Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:02 PM   #3

yeah, i would think so. i never really measured it. I'm scoring it a ton. and I've been through 3 scoring tools. They keep breaking. it's either becuse their peices of junk or because im pushing to hard, so if that's the case and the holes are not going all the way through then I'm in really bad shape when it comes to scoring this wallpaper. However there are a few instances where I can see the dry wall through the holes and after I've removed it I can see some spots where the dry wall is pierced too. I'm gonna try and post some pictures.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:37 PM   #4

http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e1...ereastwall.jpg

http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e1...erwestwall.jpg

http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e1...oneastwall.jpg

Here are some links to pictures. I cant get them to post right now

Last edited by accordfivespd; 08-30-2010 at 08:43 PM.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:44 AM   #5

Sometimes it's better just to throw in the towel. I've worked on house with paper like yours and had much better results rolling out two coats on BIN primer on top of it, and floating the seams with spackle. I recommend BIN because it's shellac/alcohol-based so it won't activate the glue under the paper and make it bubble. I've done this a few times with great results. The one thing that really complicates things is when the paper is textured.
drewpy is offline   Reply With Quote