Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-28-2012, 11:59 AM   #1

Share |

Help with epoxy sealing basement floor

I am in the middle of sealing my basement floor with Seal-Krete epoxy for garage and concrete. The basement concrete is very, VERY, smooth, so I thought I should etch it. Well I got some advice from somebody saying not to etch it and just use a primer. So now that I have a section done, I am finding it to be scratching and chipping very easily. My question is, should I get another kind of sealer (clear) to apply over the epoxy coat?

Zefrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:02 PM   #2

Should I use something like this.....

http://sealkrete.com/clearseal.html

Old 08-28-2012, 12:55 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Sounds like you are getting lots of advice and none of it good or coherent. What did the epoxy product you used say to do?

Except in some special situations and calling for specialized products, primers are usually not used on floors under regular floor finishes. They are just not built for floors. Things like floor paints are self priming.

If your project is scratching or chipping all the way to the concrete than that primer you put down is not adhering to the concrete because it was the wrong material or you raced application of the finish coat. If the epoxy is chipping or flaking off than you have legitimate issues with the product so long as you applied it correctly.

You should not have to put anything over the recommended number of epoxy coats. And you cannot fix base level adhesion by adding more top coats.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
ltd (08-28-2012)
Old 08-28-2012, 03:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Sounds like you are getting lots of advice and none of it good or coherent. What did the epoxy product you used say to do?

Except in some special situations and calling for specialized products, primers are usually not used on floors under regular floor finishes. They are just not built for floors. Things like floor paints are self priming.

If your project is scratching or chipping all the way to the concrete than that primer you put down is not adhering to the concrete because it was the wrong material or you raced application of the finish coat. If the epoxy is chipping or flaking off than you have legitimate issues with the product so long as you applied it correctly.

You should not have to put anything over the recommended number of epoxy coats. And you cannot fix base level adhesion by adding more top coats.
Oh .

I am just going to have to leave it for now. I have already had to scrape paint off manually. WHY did that person talk me out of etching?!?!?!?

The primer I had said it was for all surfaces including concrete and masonry.

I applied the first very lightly. I even followed the directions on the back of the can and added a bit of water to the first batch to thin it up a bit. I really do not know why this is so complicated.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:41 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zefrik View Post
The primer I had said it was for all surfaces including concrete and masonry.
But that probably did not mean those materials when floors. It should be adhering though.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:45 PM   #6
paper hanger and painter

no primer on floors, unless you are never going to walk on them

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote