DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Painting (http://www.diychatroom.com/f4/)
-   -   HELP!! DECK refinishing - HELP!! (http://www.diychatroom.com/f4/help-deck-refinishing-help-140725/)

ChicagoDIY 04-18-2012 09:40 PM

HELP!! DECK refinishing - HELP!!
 
Has anyone ever used "Restore" Deck stain? Sold by Depot and Ace., the manufacture guarantees it to last for 8yrs, Really? 8yrs on an exterior deck.?
I was thinking of using this product on my deck, instead of stripping, cleaning the deck and re-staining it every few years? I just bought my first home this year and the deck needs a little TLC.. I like the product because it is slip[ resistant, which works for me b/c I have a pool.

chrisn 04-19-2012 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChicagoDIY (Post 902117)
Has anyone ever used "Restore" Deck stain? Sold by Depot and Ace., the manufacture guarantees it to last for 8yrs, Really? 8yrs on an exterior deck.?
I was thinking of using this product on my deck, instead of stripping, cleaning the deck and re-staining it every few years? I just bought my first home this year and the deck needs a little TLC.. I like the product because it is slip[ resistant, which works for me b/c I have a pool.


good luck with that:laughing:

dwcopple 04-19-2012 07:39 AM

that stuff is thick as can be, but coverage per gallon is poor. It may cost a small fortune to do this depending on how large your deck area is.

Mr. Paint 04-19-2012 10:05 AM

Not being familiar with the product, I Googled it and found this review, which I think will be helpful to you:
http://www.amazon.com/review/RF90CMU...#RF90CMU9VGCMG

Good luck with your project!

ChicagoDIY 04-19-2012 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwcopple (Post 902265)
that stuff is thick as can be, but coverage per gallon is poor. It may cost a small fortune to do this depending on how large your deck area is.

Thanks for your input. So you have used this product? If so, how were the results - long term, short term.?
I know this product is quite expensive, but if it last as long as the say it does, then it's probably worth it

ChicagoDIY 04-19-2012 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisn (Post 902196)
good luck with that:laughing:

Thanks for the post, it was very helpful! If your advice is as good as you are as painting contractor, I am sure you are probably a very reliable painter.

chrisn 04-19-2012 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChicagoDIY (Post 902401)
Thanks for the post, it was very helpful! If your advice is as good as you are as painting contractor, I am sure you are probably a very reliable painter.


Not sure if that is sarcasm or not.

TonyaDesigns 04-20-2012 10:23 AM

Hi!
I have never used that particular brand, but I agree that 8 years may be stretching the marketing a bit. I would keep the product and use it on the deck. Worst case scenario, you will need to restain in a year or two.

You live near me (I'm in Detroit MI) and I know that Chicago winters are harsh. I can never go more than two years without stripping and re-staining. This summer we plan to replace the wood deck boards with composite decking. (Which would also be a good option for you) It's more expensive, but definitely something to look into to when/if you have the funds.

Also, congrats on purchasing your new home! It's always a challenge knowing what to do the first time around. My husband and I own rental property so repairs and maintenance (along with design) is part of our daily lives!

Much success with your project!

Matthewt1970 04-20-2012 04:48 PM

Only time a paint warranty is used is with Behr paint.

JobsiteJim 05-15-2012 08:02 AM

I found this thread interesting. I have to restore a ten year old deck this summer. It's covered in a thin layer of mold and some of the boards are rotting but I just wan to restore some of the wood to its original look.

joecaption 05-15-2012 08:10 AM

Job site go back and post your own post not hijack someone elses to avoid confusion.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:40 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved