Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-16-2011, 10:26 PM   #1

Share |

Help with cracks in paint

ok i just bought my first home and am about to tackle some light work to it... now the house was built in the 1950s and has plaster walls and what looks to be original paint in the living room/dining room lol

my problem is that there is small hairline cracks in the old paint all over the walls inside the house.(walls seem to have no cracks). now will i have to joint compound a thin layer over the every square inch of the house or could i get away with a thick primer?

any help or advise would be great guys

Last edited by 629RWHPstang; 04-17-2011 at 10:28 AM.
629RWHPstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 11:32 PM   #2

This is always kinda tricky...

Yes, one way is to skim over the wall with Joint-compound OR Plaster...
BUT-
* You'll have to "bridge" the cracks first.
* Goodbye-Cracks http://www.wmbarr.com/product.aspx?catid=93&prodid=190 can be an option, if there's not too many!
* More than likely, if cracking is waaayy out of hand...there comes a point where just re-rocking OVER existing walls with 1/4" sheetrock can be faster/better. END OF ISSUE forever here!
* Otherwise, it's taping cracks, skimming them. Then skimming whole wall, sanding, washing dust off. another FULL PRIME, then finally...paint.
>>> BUT...there's no guarantee cracks won't come back!
* There may be some cases where you're time/$$$ ahead just tearing existing plaster down, and use normal rock. Plus....if going this route, you can improve wiring, add insulation, etc.

Faron

Faron79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 01:19 AM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Just to make sure I undersand? The paint is cracking and separating or you have cracks in the wall or both?
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 04:39 AM   #4

Sounds to me like a normal case of spider cracking in the plaster. The problem with this condition is that the cracks are so thin that it's difficult to get spackle into them. Thin cracks, to be patched effectively, should be widened and deepened a bit with a putty knife, which for me is one of the uses of the point on the five in one. That would be a monumental effort with spider cracks. Simply skimming walls without getting compound into the cracks, or using tape, would be ineffective. Years ago, I worked with a guy who used window screen material as a tape between coats of compound. That wouldn't be so difficult for a plasterer, but for the average painter or HO it's not that easy, as there is a difference between repairing cracks and "floating" compound on a wall to create a smooth surface. One option would be to prime with a high build primer with the hope of it bridging the fine cracks, SW makes a high build primer/surfacer. Another option would be to install wall liner. They make a paper specifically designed to resurface deteriorating plaster. It's hung like traditional wallpaper, primed, the joints get spackled over, and then paint the surface. It makes the walls look brand new yet maintains the characteristic look of the plastered wall. If the paper route is chosen, you still have to repair the major stress cracking with traditional compound/tape process. Old houses and plaster are quaint, quaint equals money.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 06:33 AM   #5
paper hanger and painter

Although Faron has a solution, personally, it would be my last resort. Getting rid of and or covering up old plaster, in my mind, just is not right.
I would try jsheridan's solutions first before tearing anything out .Here is a link to what he is talking about. It is not all that hard to install, although it is VERY messy and I guess in the long run is not a lot different than installing 1/4 drywall, oh well. Try the primer part first.

http://www.nu-wal.com/nuwal/index.htm
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 10:27 AM   #6

thanks for the replies guys i really hope i can just use the high build primes and get away with it...

Last edited by 629RWHPstang; 04-17-2011 at 10:32 AM.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:12 AM   #7

also im getting all my paint/supplies threw a mom and pops benjamin moore dealer so any idea of there best high build primes that will cover up these hairline cracks?
Old 04-17-2011, 12:11 PM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Benjamin Moore fresh start and nice thick nap roller cover. Without seeing them to know what you mean by hairline?

I would go over them with some drywall compound and a nice wide blade to be sure. Then wet wipe or sand the compound, Then prime and paint.

Last edited by user1007; 04-17-2011 at 12:14 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 01:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
Although Faron has a solution, personally, it would be my last resort. Getting rid of and or covering up old plaster, in my mind, just is not right.
I would try jsheridan's solutions first before tearing anything out .Here is a link to what he is talking about. It is not all that hard to install, although it is VERY messy and I guess in the long run is not a lot different than installing 1/4 drywall, oh well. Try the primer part first.

http://www.nu-wal.com/nuwal/index.htm
Chris, what I was talking about is plain wall liner for that purpose. I did a job just before Christmas where I used it. The wallpaperer hung it with plain paste. I've never seen what you referred to but thanks for the link. I think I like the idea of that better than what I mentioned.
High build primer/surfacer is designed to level surfaces so it should bridge the cracking. I don't think BM Fresh Start would do that. Ask the dealer.
Old 04-17-2011, 02:34 PM   #10

Look at XIM Peel bond. This is a true hi build primer - you can apply it up to 30mils thick. The can specifically shows the product as a solution for bridging hairline cracks and filling in alligatoring paint. Not cheap stuff, about 40 bucks a gallon, but may be what you need. Your local BM dealer may have it, if not should be able to get it for you..
mazzonetv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 03:29 PM   #11
Rubbin walls since'79

I was going to suggest peel bond also.
Brushjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 06:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazzonetv View Post
Look at XIM Peel bond. This is a true hi build primer - you can apply it up to 30mils thick. The can specifically shows the product as a solution for bridging hairline cracks and filling in alligatoring paint. Not cheap stuff, about 40 bucks a gallon, but may be what you need. Your local BM dealer may have it, if not should be able to get it for you..

ok now were talking... so my plan now is to spackle all real bad areas,sand every square inch,wash walls down then hit it with the high build primer and pray it looks as smooth as can be... i dont like to half ass things so i need it to be close to perfect lol

also i should use the latex hi build primer or water?
Old 04-17-2011, 07:46 PM   #13
Rubbin walls since'79

i should use the latex hi build primer or water ???

Latex is water reducible.

You should know that Peel Bond goes on milky, dries pretty clear ( depending how thick. )
I would put it on twice, first time don't worry about how thick, just work into the cracks. Second time as thick as you can with out it sagging. It will level out pretty good by itself.
Brushjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 08:13 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
i should use the latex hi build primer or water ???

Latex is water reducible.

You should know that Peel Bond goes on milky, dries pretty clear ( depending how thick. )
I would put it on twice, first time don't worry about how thick, just work into the cracks. Second time as thick as you can with out it sagging. It will level out pretty good by itself.
I think the peel bond is a good move, I would modify your point a bit brush. Spider cracks are very fine, almost too fine to accept a fill. I think the hope is that we will bridge the gap, like the intention of Sherlastic on stucco cracks, it bridges, it doesn't necessarily fill them completely. I would suggest the HO do some spot samples with finish on the worst of the areas after the first coat, and prior to applying the second coat which may not be necessary.