Help! Bathroom Question - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-01-2011, 05:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Help! Bathroom Question

I'm moving into a rental this week and we've done our first walkthrough. We noticed something we didn't notice before; the second bathroom is a tub only (no shower).

The bathroom tile goes up to about 3 1/2 feet high, and from there and beyond it's all pink wallpaper. We were first thinking of putting in a converter that will give us a shower head for the bathroom, but then we realized that this is no good because the wall is covered in wallpaper. Since we can't saturate the wallpaper with water on a daily basis, that's out.

If we owned the house, we'd probably either redo the whole bathroom to have a tub/shower combo, or would rip out the wallpaper and put tile in and then paint the walls. Since we don't own the house, we're really limited in what we can do. Is there any conceivable way of using a tub to shower converter while protecting the wallpaper against damage, at least on a short term basis?

If we removed all of the wallpaper (it's from the 50's/60's and is already peeling pretty well) and painted with a mold and mildew resistant bathroom paint, is it okay if the wall is getting wet above the tile line? Is there something we can get to temporarily cover up the wallpaper without just locking in or trapping water and humidity in between them?

It really sucks to have two bathrooms and only one shower. The dog will definitely get to use the tub but his humans prefer showering.

Thanks for any advice you can give in advance!

Advertisement

ryuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:34 PM   #2

Help! Bathroom Question

Well with you not owning it it's hard to say what you can do. Try talking with the homeowner to see what they will allow.

Shipp's Painting LLC
http://www.paintingkokomoindiana.com

Advertisement

Shipps Painting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:37 PM   #3

Help! Bathroom Question

We can remove wallpaper and we can paint. Most of the things we can't do stem from the fact that we don't really want to fix up the owner's house for him, since it's not ours and we're not permanently living there. Why spend hundreds on tile when you may move out next year? We may just be stuck with one shower and one tub.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:52 PM   #4

Help! Bathroom Question

Rather then mess with the wallpaper you can go to your local hardware store and pick up either a fiberglass shower wall surround for around $200 or get a round shower curtain setup. If you were close enough I would give you my shower wall I'm putting in tile.

Shipp's Painting LLC
http://www.paintingkokomoindiana.com
Shipps Painting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:57 PM   #5

Help! Bathroom Question

I'll look into the fiberglass, but the round shower curtain is a great temporary idea! Thanks!
Old 02-02-2011, 01:17 AM   #6
Super Master Painter

Rewards Points: 250

Help! Bathroom Question

TAKE THE WALLPAPER OFF ...............prep (spackle any holes) then prime with oil based zinsser cover stain then caulk around your tub then finish with 2 coats of semi-gloss paint................. i had a tub just like yours for YEARS so i know .................... you want to know if paint cant shed water??? boats are painted right? they just need more maintance then a tub thats all

Advertisement

Ole34 is offline   Reply With Quote