Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-10-2010, 08:13 PM   #1

Share |

Have old paint on molding

We just bought a house and the paint in the houe is not good at all. The paint was cheap and comes off if you rub it and the molding has at least 3 coats of paint on it and looks really bad and is not even. What is the best and fastest way to take the paint off the molding?
jdjohnson05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 08:18 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Some of the gel strippers work pretter well. I have been enjoying using the new type of infrared paint stripper. They are expensive but you can rent them. I used to use a woman that did nothing but strip woodworker and a lot cheaper than me buying the chemicals and doing it for clients. Check your phone book.

How much of it do you have? Is it in decent shape except for the paint? If it is nothing all that special or ornate, it might be cheaper to just replace it than invest time and money for chemicals or equipment rental to strip it?
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 08:29 PM   #3

Thank you so very much! I will look into those things thank you. Sad to say that right now money is alittle tight for us so me might just have to put the time into them to make them look good. There is one piece that is not in good physical shape. The rest of it is pretty good. Just looks bad will all the paint on it. We tried paint tinner but that didnt even touch it. Thanks again!
jdjohnson05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:02 PM   #4
Finisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdjohnson05 View Post
Thank you so very much! I will look into those things thank you. Sad to say that right now money is alittle tight for us so me might just have to put the time into them to make them look good. There is one piece that is not in good physical shape. The rest of it is pretty good. Just looks bad will all the paint on it. We tried paint tinner but that didnt even touch it. Thanks again!
You'd be wasting your time stripping the old finish off. Get new mouldings, trimwork is $cheaper than the time you'll spend stripping, prepping and painting.
Rcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:48 AM   #5
Heritage Restoration

Keep the old mouldings.

New mouldings are just getting worse and worse with quality as the years go by. Especially in the box stores. That's excluding getting custom profiles cut at custom shops ( I have a number of a guy who does custom profiles for a great price if needed)

Anyways.

-I would just strip all the mouldings right to the wood. Silent Paint Remover would blast through a house with no chemicals and is lead safe too.
-Scuff sand with fine sand paper or steel wool. Keep all the sharp profiles.
-Prime with an oil primer. Since you had unknown paint layers on there.
-Paint with 2 coats of a Quality acrylic latex or a High quality Linseed paint (ie: Allbacks from Viking Sales in the USA)
Skuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 03:24 AM   #6
paper hanger and painter

With only 3 coats of paint on them I would question the age. My home is about 80 years old and has what I would guess at least 20 coats of paint. With only 3 coats it sounds relatively new and probably already has cheap moldings in it. Might be cheaper just to re place them.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote