Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-05-2010, 09:13 AM   #1

Share |

has anyone used this deck stain?

sorry for yet another deck stain thread...

i'm staining my deck. the wife wants something semi-transparent or even semi-opaque, but i'm worried about chipping and peeling of a product with pigment. the deck is PT pine and gets a lot of sun.

my paint store (a real paint store, not a big box store that i have come to loathe) recommended Storm Stain by California Paints for exterior stain.

has anyone used this? followed by Storm Stain, he recommended Sikkens and B. Moore in that order. i have also had another store recommended Cabot.

i'm lost and i need to pick something soon as i will start on saturday. thanks for the help.

mklang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:02 AM   #2

from what I have read and also from personal experience/use, you should not have a problem with chipping or flaking when using semi-transparent stains. however, semi-transparent stains will not hold up as well as semi-solid stains. expect to have to re-stain in a couple of years if your deck is exposed to the elements.
semi-solid and solid stains will provide a longer lasting finish, like 4 years or longer, however, some websites caution against using these stains because they are prone to bubbling, chipping, flaking. These "experts" state these heavier stains trap moisture (as opposed to the semi-t stains which "breathe") causing the flaking, etc. problems.
I have used Cabot semi-transparent on my cedar deck with the predicted results: the exposed areas need to be re-stained after 2 years. The protected areas still look good after 5 years.

GeneL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GeneL For This Useful Post:
mklang (08-05-2010)
Old 08-05-2010, 11:53 AM   #3

My formula for decks:

1. Clean, kill mildew and let dry
2. Use lighltly pimented Cabot's Clear Solutions oil based stain. (ex: cedar or redwood naturaltone)
3. Apply a thin coat with a brush. Brush it out well. Work only on cool dry surfaces.
4. Repeat every 2-3 years.

This process will weather gracefully and you'll avoid the miserable task of stripping/sanding that comes using heavier bodied semi solid and solid stains.
hennyh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hennyh For This Useful Post:
mklang (08-05-2010)
Old 08-05-2010, 11:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneL View Post
I have used Cabot semi-transparent on my cedar deck with the predicted results: the exposed areas need to be re-stained after 2 years. The protected areas still look good after 5 years.
is that just due to fading? what do you have for prep work when restaining after a couple of year?
Old 08-06-2010, 08:55 AM   #5

so does anyone have experience with the california storm stain?