Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-31-2013, 10:06 AM   #1

Share |

Graco Magnum X5 Airless Sprayer Cleanup Issue - Question

I've had my Graco Magnum X5 for a year and a half now, and have probably used it about 10 times. All has been working just fine. The past two times going through the cleanup process, however, have been a little different. The last step in cleanup/storage process is to run pump armor/paint thinner through the pump. As per the instructions, I put both the suction tube and the prime tube in the pump armor and I have the Prime/Spray valve switched to Prime. I turn the switch on and the pump sucks in the pump armor, which is all good. But then it starts shooting it out of the pump outlet (where you connect your paint gun hose). This should NOT be happening when I have the Prime/Spray valve set to Prime; fluid should only be coming out of the prime tube. I already ruined/killed a 1'x7' patch of grass because the pump armor shot all over. Luckily it was at my own house and not one of my customer's houses.

Any ideas what is causing this? Thanks!

Chris Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:50 AM   #2

Sound like the prime/spray valve is shot. Easy fix on the bigger Gracos, not sure about the X5.

I had that happen on a spray tech, it was pain but I could still use the pump.

Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:46 PM   #3

Thanks for the response J-May. I called Graco yesterday about it, and the support tech had no idea what could be wrong with it. Today I submitted a ticket to Graco's online support, and I got a response which makes absolutely no sense:

"Thank you for contacting Graco's Technical Support line. You need to have the hose and spray gun attached to the pump, otherwise the path of least resistance for the fluid is out the outlet fitting instead of through the small passage in the pump, drain valve, drain hose, and diffuser. Just have the paint hose and gun connected and the fluid will exit the drain hose with the prime valve open."

His response makes no sense. That's not the way the Spray/Prime valve works. When the valve is switched to "Prime", there should be absolutely no way for any fluid to get through the main pump outlet. The ONLY outlet that fluid should be able to come out of is the prime tube outlet; that's the whole purpose of the Spray/Prime valve: to be able to select which outlet the fluid will come out of. With the Spray/Prime valve set to "Prime", the "path of least resistance" (as he calls it) is the prime tube, not the pump outlet. Also, the instructions say to detach the tip and gun before running pump armor through the pump. Therefore, I disagree completely with Graco's response. I've done it according to the instructions several times before, and have never had this problem.

I think you could be right J-May; sounds like the spray/prime valve could be shot.
Chris Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote