Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-10-2009, 09:37 PM   #1

Share |

Got a dark blue mess on my hands...

Okay guys, here's the situation. I have my son's bedroom that I am working on and I have made a mess of it.

The room was painted a brighter shade of tan, like Pecan Sandie or so. With Behr Pastel Base paint, 1 coat on the new house walls which were basic white from the build (2 years before)

We decided to paint the room a deep blue color. We chose Sherwin Williams Duration interior because we had just had a GREAT experience with the exterior paint.

We chose not to prime. As we rolled and brushed on the first coat, it was the worst coverage I had ever seen. Each brush and roller we tried made it worse. We did one wall with 2 coats and it had horrible lap marks and strokes in it. The rest we did 1 coat and it looks terrible.

Now we're out of paint. The duration is 37 bucks a gallon on 25% off sale.

We're not crazy about the blue either.

We think we want to switch BACK to Behr, and use the same light blue pastel base color we used in our older sons bedroom.

Here's the big question... Don't we HAVE to primer over the Duration? It's an acriylic and I can already tell it's not going to allow sticking very well.

The plan is to Primer over the dark blue. But with white or tinted primer I am not sure. Then 2 coat the new Behr color that we like.

How's that plan sound? Too much work? Will the Behr stick on the Duration and not show through?

pk1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 03:11 AM   #2
paper hanger and painter

It's an acriylic and I can already tell it's not going to allow sticking very well.

I don't understand this. Was the original paint( I will not mention the name) oil?

The room was painted a brighter shade of tan," a whiter shade of pale"

Will the Behr stick on the Duration and not show through?

maybe

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 06:36 AM   #3
Remodeling Contractor

Behr is one of the lowest quality paints. Paints are the one product where the more expensive paints are cheaper in the long run since the will last longer. If you are not happy with Duration switch to Benjiman Moore paints. you will not need to prime.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:06 PM   #4
Tools-For-The-Trades

Send a message via Skype™ to Ladderpouch.com

Bob is right about Behr-awful. Sometimes dark colors have deep bases and are hard to work with and take longer to dry. I think that you should let it dry and then completey sand the walls with a pole sander. Ben Moore have a new line called Ben or another called Aura. They cover great and you should be able cover the blue with two finish coats and no priming. Use a 3/8 nap roller sleeve.
Ladderpouch.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:43 PM   #5
paper hanger and painter

I would use a 1/2in, but that is personal preference.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 04:12 PM   #6

Duration can be tough to paint with if not under the idea conditions. If it is drying too quick it is really susceptible to pulling off when you go back over it.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 08:30 PM   #7

Welp to end the suspense, I did go back to Sherwin Williams.

They were happy to give me a new gallon of Cashmere and a gallon of Primer. I went ahead and bought another gallon of the paint, just to be sure to have coverage.

I was really impressed that Sherwin was so willing to fix it. He said they have alot of trouble with Duration and deep blue, so that wasn't a big deal.

pk1023 is offline   Reply With Quote